Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I no longer am happy with my favorite band

Default Re: Why I no longer am happy with my favorite band

Wow, it has been 3 months since I even visited the board.

I am sure some have rejoiced in my absence, maybe a few have hoped for my return. Either way, I will start to contribute again, and listen to others to see if they are still koolaid drinkers, or have been willing to look at members of the bands seedy underbelly.

Then again, prior to watching HOE, I probably never would have dived into the real history of the Eagles, not the contrived made for TV and promotional one.
    Since my last visit my research seems to be complete with a visit to the Troubadour and discussing what the guys were like back in the day with some very knowledgeable people. I didn't fly out there for that purpose, but while in LA twice since my last visit here, I just had to make it to the strip a few times. It has changed dramatically in just 10 years, much less what it must have been like 30-40 years ago.

There is so much to cover, I don't even have the time now, but rest assured the Eagles (mainly Frey and Henley) are not looking any better from a personal standpoint.
    That goes for their greed, ultra liberal politics, and general narcissism. But more on that later.

`

Welcome back. I'm looking forward to your posts as your perspective on the band is always very thought-provoking and realistic.
    So if you see me walking all alone, don't look back. I'm just on my way back home.

Border Desperado The Thrill Is Never Gone's Avatar

I had not seen this thread before (but I am fairly new). I need to read through the whole thread before I make a comment.

Stuck on the Border

I wasn't around when you posted before, but I came to this with a similar level of ignorance as you but perhaps a greater awareness of my own bias. I've done my research and ended up in a different place to you.

I can add to some of the earlier discussions. The first is about the relationship with Glyn John's whether Bernie was including himself when he talked about how the band felt. This is a quote from Barney Hoskyn's Hotel California book.
    `There'd always been disagreement with Glyn,' says Bernie Leadon. `Randy Meisner had wanted to fire him after the first album and record the whole album over again. When Desperado didn't sell, we were all like, "It's all Glyn's fault!"'
    Note the "we were all" and also that it was Randy Meisner who was most unhappy.

Don't shoot me but...I totally and completely and 100% agree with the OP. As someone posted on Glen's FB page recently: "Glen Frey is the biggest (expletive) in the music business." Honestly, I hope that Glenn will see it and read it and, most of all, THINK about how he has treated former members of the band (Meisner & Felder). Glenn getting pissed off at Randy because he didn't want to sing, "TITTL", due to being sick (and having been up the night before partying) was very unfair to Randy. No one - absolutely NO ONE - should be forced to perform if they're not feeling well or they don't feel that they can offer their best to the audience.

After watching the HOE documentary on DVD, I have come to the above conclusion, myself. If I had a choice between having lunch with either Glenn or the rest of the band, I would choose everyone but Glenn.

Again, this is just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    That goes for their greed, ultra liberal politics, and general narcissism.
    What's wrong with having 'ultra-liberal politics'?
    ~Sara

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Either way, I will start to contribute again, and listen to others to see if they are still koolaid drinkers, or have been willing to look at members of the bands seedy underbelly.
    I am assuming the term 'koolaid drinkers' is a slam and personal put-down for those who don't have the same opinion that you do?

That goes for their greed, ultra liberal politics, and general narcissism. But more on that later.

`
    We do not, as a rule, discuss politics on this board. There are other forums for that sort of discussion. Discussing the political leanings of the band is one thing, but discussing all the reasons why a particular leaning is good or bad is not suitable here. Those types of discussions typically produce personal attacks and flaming and it's best to nip those in the bud at the very beginning of a 'discussion'. We have a very wide range of political beliefs here and we all manage to get along. It would be nice if we could keep it that way.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Thank You VA!!...well said...

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Debutante View Post
    What's wrong with having 'ultra-liberal politics'?

NOTHING at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    Glenn getting pissed off at Randy because he didn't want to sing, "TITTL", due to being sick (and having been up the night before partying) was very unfair to Randy. No one - absolutely NO ONE - should be forced to perform if they're not feeling well or they don't feel that they can offer their best to the audience.
    Again, this is just my opinion.
    Randy shouldn't have been up all night drinking & partying if it meant he was going to be able to do his job properly. Lots of performers go on when they are sick & feeling miserable. "The show must go on"! JMO