Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Don's women

Out on the Border

Smile Re: Don's women

Hi there,

It was taken from an interview Stevie did with a magazine called 'VOX', where she talks about her decisions to have four abortions, her deepest regrets over that, the way she's been treated by, lovers, managers, record companies etc. But I also got it from a book written by Marc Eliot called 'To the Limit'. Page 129. I 've read the book its an UNOFFICIAL synopsis of 'The Eagles', from there humble beings to what they are now.
    I'm stressing that its UNOFFICIAL because if you have the book you find at the end the author had difficulties getting it published, some of the Eagles, if you can read between the lines, there were areas that they didn't want exposed. Pardon the pun. It explores the not so nice attributes as well as the great that make 'The Eagles' .

Out on the Border

Default Re: Don's women

I've just remembered that in Stevie own fan based website she mentions it there, how upset she was with Don having discussed something very personal to an a male magazine (GQ), and that having heard about it made Don aware that, that was something between them and not for public scrutiny, later she is quoted saying that Don rang her so many times to apologise for talking about it.

Marc Eliot never interviewed Stevie, as he himself admits. He quotes articles but as far as I know Stevie has never dissed Don in any way in an article, including the VOX one you were talking about (you can find that online here). She does not criticize Don in any way there. Instead, she says regarding her abortions and the men involved, "It's always been a tragedy. But they understood." (She had more than one abortion - hence the plural.)

In Eliot's case, he says "Although Henley did not try to force the issue, according to friends, she was deeply upset about what she considered his fast and easy consent to her decision. Nicks took it as Henley's way of saying he wasn't interested in any type of serious long-term commitment." That refers to the abortion itself, not his revelation of it in an interview, and it's something Eliot got from talking to her friends rather than Stevie herself - ie, hearsay.

This isn't to say I think Eliot was making it up. Frankly, I believe that Stevie was probably hurt by Don. I also believe she probably felt betrayed by his revelation about the abortion, although she understood he didn't do it maliciously but rather carelessly. However, she has been very careful never to criticize him openly, so let's respect that and not put words into her mouth.

As far as I know, that VOX article is the only time she's ever spoken of the abortions, except for the one statement when she said she forgave Don for mentioning it in his article and opening this can of worms (before then, no fans knew Stevie had ever had an abortion, much less that one of the aborted babies was Don's). She has never blamed Don for the abortion either. She has always said she was too busy to have a child. However, when you listen to "Goodbye Baby" (don't take me to the tower and take my child away) or "Sara" (there's a heartbeat, and it never really died) or read this VOX interview, you know it was a lot more difficult than she let on... but she's never blamed Don.

However, you say she is quoted criticizing Don on a fansite, so maybe I just missed it. Could you link to it?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

In the end it was her choice, I don't see her blaming Don publicly so I don't believe what Eliot said ~ like you said he didn't even talk to her himself.
    ~Sara

Little piece of trivia: according to Noblemania, we can add Janet Cross and Signy Coleman to the list of women Don has dated.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

There was a discussion in another thread recently regarding a screenshot in the HOTE documentary, which was shown as Glenn said that he and Don both tried to have relationships during the 70's, but the Eagles pretty much trumped everything. The lady in the screenshot is Cher's sister Georganne LaPiere. So, we can add her to this list as well. I'm pretty sure that this is her in the b&w photo too.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016