Thread: "Desperado" Chinese version released 15 years later after the original.

Out on the Border

Default "Desperado" Chinese version released 15 years later after the original.

Hi, it's me again, I thought I'd like to share you something here,.

I see a few main banners here of "Desperado" and its probably my favourite song of Eagles. I am not sure if you guys ever knew 1 thing. This title was once covered by a very famous Hong Kong artist back in the 80's named Anita Mui (the Hong Kong media & critics dubbed her as the Asian Madonna due of her image and song styles are similar) so I thought I'd share the song here for you guys in case you never listened.

This covered song was released in 1988, 15 years after the original which is considered a strange tactic and late release in Hong Kong because usually if there is a very popular song from Japan or Korea or US\UK, they would usually cover the classic song (in Chinese) within a year or two timespan. For example, as you may be aware, Air Supply "All Out Of Love" was a classic hit back in 1980 and then the following year 1981, a famous Hong Kong artist Alan Tam (kind of like Barry Manilow style), came along and covered this song. Then it eventually became an classic hit in the Hong Kong music industry as everyone know this song as well as the original version too.

Anyways, regarding to this song, to me, of course its not as good as the original version...but still....thought I'd like to share with you guys! =)

(The chinese song title is translated as "Let's not see each other"). In the end, Don Henely sings "You better let somebody love you.......you better love somebody love you.....before it's too late...."

In the chinese version, in the end, it is translated as "For you, I reject to see you......if we need to break up again.....I rather break up in order not to let you suffer" so it made sense why the chinese version is named as the song title as "Let's not see each other"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDcbC157uko"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDcbC157uko[/ame]

Enjoy
    Last edited by gobear; 04-24-2013 at 12:28 AM.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: "Desperado" Chinese version released 15 years later after the original.

I had no idea!!! It's actually very pretty!! Thank you for posting this.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Default Re: "Desperado" Chinese version released 15 years later after the original.

Interesting! Thanks for posting it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

That is pretty cool. I love hearing it like that. Thank you for sharing.

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Very pretty!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border Grey Sadler's Avatar

Interesting...what a beautiful, smoky voice!!

Out on the Border

Hey, you guys are welcome, it's my pleasure sharing you all.
    I am surprised how you all loved her smoky voice and glad you all loved it.

Unfortunately, Anita actually died 10 years ago due to cancer and it was a massive sadness to the HK music industry.

If you like her style or songs, I thought I'd recommend another very popular local ballad back released in the late 80's and the song title is translated as "The Dance Of Love".

In terms of melody, if you enjoy like Desperado, Love Will Keep Us Alive, I Can't Tell You Why etc ballads, then you will definately like this. This is a very romantic & dreamy type of ballad and the closest ballad melody I would say that is similar to this would be Madonna - Take A Bow, but I reckon this melody is somewhat more haunting than Take A Bow.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtWrJc9XYPg[/ame]

Once again, enjoy

Out on the Border

Default Hotel California

Something I want to share here again

I was born in the early 70's and the very first time I actually heard Hotel California was actually NOT the Eagles, but a pop legend from Hong Kong named Sam Hui.

Just a brief intro, he was regarded as a legend because he was the very first person in HK to create cantonese pop songs in the late 70's and he retired in the 90's. Back in the 60's and 70's, artists in Hong Kong were commonly covered by famous foreign artists e.g. Eagles, Rolling Stone, Neil Diamond, Bob Dylan, Brothers Four, The Bread, John Denver and so on rather than original tracks but Sam was the first person to create the cantonese pop in HK

Anyways, we all know Hotel California was originally released in 1976 and the following year in 1977, this track was released in Hong Kong and it became a massive hit locally. I remember, when I was little and first heard it, I was mesmorised how good it was (of course I had no idea he was NOT the original artist who sang it) but after a few years later, as I grew up and learnt that it was the actually The Eagles who originally performed it, I was even more shell shocked and from then on, I followed this band till this day!

Probably its considered a strange way of knowing this band because normally you would hear the original song first but I first heard it from a famous covered artist AND then transfered to Eagles, lol.

Anyways, here is the song Sam sung. The quality is obviously an LP record, not that good but if you like it, hit me up and I will be happy to send you the good quality of CD version.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70Car4yyC8I[/ame]

Enjoy..
    Last edited by gobear; 04-25-2013 at 02:53 AM.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Hotel California

Quote Originally Posted by gobear View Post

Probably its considered a strange way of knowing this band because normally you would hear the original song first but I first heard it from a famous covered artist AND then transfered to Eagles, lol.
    Very interesting!!

Unfortunately it wont let us play this video in the US.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Out on the Border

Default Re: Hotel California

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Very interesting!!

Unfortunately it wont let us play this video in the US.

No worries

Here is the mp3 link I have uploaded for you guys to enjoy

http://www.mediafire.com/?ejirh3rt8z3quh4

For some reason, having listened to BOTH versions for many years, I find Sam's version somewhat resembles similarity to Don Henley's vocal but of course, overall, the original is the best, hands down!

Cheers