Thread: Bush Vetoes Libby Jail Term

Stuck on the Border

Default Bush Vetoes Libby Jail Term

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...03/1968134.htm

I had no idea the President of the United States could stop somebody from going to jail. So much for separation of powers. It apparently doesn't matter how corrupt you are as long as you're a 'mate'.

I know the President can veto bills passed by Congress (as he's just done with the stem cell research bill). I know he can issue pardons, but THIS.... to me this far exceeds anything I've ever heard of in either the UK or here in Australia. I suppose the response will be 'well, he couldn't overturn the conviction'. So that's alright then.

NB: reading it again, the story says the Constitution gives him this power. If so, how often has it been used?

Stuck on the Border

Don't make the assumption that Bush is doing something unique.
    Precedent for this was set with George Washington, our very first President.

For the record, pardons by Presidents thru the years (this is just a very, very partial list):

Clinton -more than 460
    Reagan -just over 400
    Carter - more than 500
    Ford -more than 400 (in under 2 years!)
    George W. Bush - 77

Stuck on the Border

Thanks for that Molly - I knew about pardons, but this was the first I'd heard of a President commuting a jail sentence. I suppose it is a regular occurrence.