Thread: Glenn backing vocals on Jackson Browne's "Rock Me On The Water?"

Default Glenn backing vocals on Jackson Browne's "Rock Me On The Water?"

I know I've read Glenn only provided backing vocals on only the demo version of Jackson Browne's "Rock Me On the Water," but to me, the album version sounds just like Glenn as well. I mean those "WooHooHoos" are almost a giveaway, but just the phrasing of the choruses sound like Glenn's "sound" to me. Anyone have any ideas if it's indeed him or not?

Also, some sites say Glenn cowrote "That Girl Could Sing" with Jackson--any truth to that?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Glenn backing vocals on Jackson Browne's "Rock Me On The Water?"

I don't know.

All I can do is post the GFO information on Glenn's guest appearances as well as an old topic on the subject. I would have thought if he isn't credited, it isn't him. He is not listed in GFO as having a writing credit on That Girl Could Sing.

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/...ppearances.htm

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...read.php?t=154

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

He doesn't have credit for That Girl Could Sing on his Songwriter's Hall of Fame list of songs.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I have a feeling that was a mistake, crediting him with TGCS--I think that site transposed/confused it with TIE.

Still maintaining that it sounds Glenn-y to me on Rock Me...

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Glenn has a songwriting credit for That Girl, of course, maybe that was where the confusion was as well?
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

It never ceases to amaze me on just how many songs there are out there that our Eagles have provided background, etc... on. Even with all I know about them, I still occasionally come across songs I didn't know about or forgot about. Especially Timothy. Dozens and dozens. It was fun years ago tracking down as many of them as I could to download because had to have EVERYTHING with Timothy's voice on it.

This past weekend I had a Best of cd of Bob Seger going in the car and Rambllin' Gamblin' Man came on and I smiled from ear to ear hearing Glenn's voice to prominent in it.

Out of curiosity, other that the individual sites, do we have a thread here on the board about the songs for other artists are guys have backed up? Would be pretty cool to see all of them in one spot and I bet many would be very surprised about some of them.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I've never heard the rumor that Glenn cowrote TGCS, and it seems like they did a good job of crediting co-writers and backup vocals back when they wrote the songs. The rumor is that Jackson wrote this song about Valerie Carter, his backup singer at the time. I think the site you linked to is probably mistaken.

Great idea Willie! I don't know if we have a thread for all of them or not.

ETA: I forgot to address the actual thread topic - except to say that if Glenn sang backup on RMOTW, I think he would be credited, but now I'm just going to have to go and listen to it a handful of times!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Border Rebel

I believe it was David Crosby who sang the harmonies on RMOTW on the LP version. When it was released as a single back in 1972, they added Graham Nash's voice, probably to give it a little more breadth.

Glenn is only listed as doing backing vocals on "For Everyman" album, so perhaps my ear is off. But I like to imagine he maybe snuck in and and laid a backing track--likelihood is David Crosby was probably on something so heavy he might not have noticed Glenn singing with him.

Totally a tangent from this topic, but I love Glenn's backing vocal on Zevon's "Carmelita." Such a haunting, astute, darly witty song, and Glenn's vocal is such a nice counterpoint to Warren's tone...

Stuck on the Border

This is the old topic on the Eagles' backup performances.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=3432