Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ticket Prices

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Ticket Prices

I'm not sure I intended to make a case for anyone, just presenting both sides of the picture. My personal opinion is that the higher prices is from a combination of things, and while artists' greed is part of it, they aren't the only ones. I remember all too well the articles in the local newspaper here a decade or so ago when the amphitheater close to my house opened, and how eager the county supervisors were to tack on a bunch of taxes that weren't percentage based, but flat 'fees' in order to pay for schools and other things that had nothing to do with concerts or even music. People who could afford the time and money to go to concerts deserved to have to pay the tax. 85% of the people who go to the concerts don't live in that county. They were able to keep taxes on country residents from being raised and they ran for reelection on those 'accomplishments'. That's just one small example of how going to concerts is viewed as a 'luxury' and taxed and charged accordingly all up and down the spectrum of the people making the money.

This is an article I remember reading a long time ago and it took a long time to put in the right search criteria to find it again! It's from 2009 and talks about summer amphitheaters and the risks run by promoters. It says the Eagles cancelled concerts in 2010? I know a date in Hershey was cancelled almost as soon as it was announced, but were there others?

Also of note:
    If the trend continues, it could spell trouble for the entire music industry, which has come to rely on income from touring to take the place of diminished sales from recorded music. But for the major promoters who are heavily invested in the machinery of touring, the threat is especially acute.
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=128473078

This one talks mostly about mid-level artists and why it might make more sense to sell out a 3,000 seat theater than sell 10,000 at a 18,000 seat venue.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2...our-money-goes
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Border Troubadour prayfordaylight's Avatar

I don't have much to add to the conversation. I hate ticket prices too but it's just what you have to do to see most artists nowadays. I try to limit myself to $150 max unless it's something special (aka front few rows or super close field seats at a stadium show). The price is definitely why I've never seen The Eagles in concert still.

I really wish more venues would implement the "Pick your seat" option on Ticketmaster. I've only gotten to do it for a handful of shows and I like it. I know there are good upper deck seats at arenas that are cheaper and better than rear floor seats so if I can get those, sometimes I will.
    -Ali

You can see the stars and still not see the light.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prayfordaylight View Post
    I don't have much to add to the conversation. I hate ticket prices too but it's just what you have to do to see most artists nowadays. I try to limit myself to $150 max unless it's something special (aka front few rows or super close field seats at a stadium show). The price is definitely why I've never seen The Eagles in concert still.

I really wish more venues would implement the "Pick your seat" option on Ticketmaster. I've only gotten to do it for a handful of shows and I like it. I know there are good upper deck seats at arenas that are cheaper and better than rear floor seats so if I can get those, sometimes I will.
    Not to mention that their idea of 'best available' isn't necessarily my idea!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Really..."best available" is pretty much a joke!

ticket buying gives me the hives...I hate it...don't understand it...or the pricing...presale this and that...can only buy if you have Amex...need a code...such a pain in the a..then you still don't get a good seat when it seems you've done all you can do...very stressful...I would pay someone to do it for me if I could!

I was going to see the Stones in Chicago. Keyword WAS. Looked up floor tickets. That's simply ridiculous... I agree, it makes the Eagles look cheap.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I was going to see the Stones in Chicago. Keyword WAS. Looked up floor tickets. That's simply ridiculous... I agree, it makes the Eagles look cheap.
    How much dare I ask?

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    How much dare I ask?
    Their tickets are outrageously priced.

However, if you just want to get in the door, this is a good option. You can be in the rafters, or in the front, depending on how lucky you are. They have been dropping these in the day or so before the shows and you can sign up to be notified if tickets become available.

https://www.facebook.com/therollings...08195102528120

Never say Eagles tickets are "cheap"....That's all Irving has to hear & the prices will go UP EVEN HIGHER. Eagles tickets aren't cheap.That's for sure!
    If the Stones have to lower their prices, it means they are just so totally out of control, which they are.

Border Troubadour prayfordaylight's Avatar

Seriously. I looked for DC too and they wanted $200 for the very rafters.

They are doing a limited $85 drop for certain cities: http://www.rollingstones.com/85-dollar-tickets/

I registered for Philly but not holding my breath.
    -Ali

You can see the stars and still not see the light.