Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Previously Unheard Demos of Nightingale and Get Up Kate on Bill Halverson website!

Default Previously Unheard Demos of Nightingale and Get Up Kate on Bill Halverson website!

Came across this in a random search, from "legendary" producer Bill Halverson's website. I apologize if this is old news to you all... Apparently he worked with Glenn and the guys after that first session with Glyn Johns in London. They recorded "Get Up Kate" (a Linda Ronstadt-less version) and "Nightengale." Apparently when Johns found out, he made Halverson destroy the tracks and recorded his own version of "Nightengale" with the band.

However, Halverson found out tapes of the two tracks and put them on the site. Fun to listen to--I prefer the rawness of the live "Get Up Kate" with Linda, but I enjot the bluesy, Southern flair of this one. (And I had no idea it was about James Taylor's younger sister, Kate--I wonder if she and Glenn had a fling?!). And I sorta prefer this version of "Nightingale"--it's a bit more crisp, vocally.

Wih there was a way to download them...

Bill Halverson-Unreleased Eagles/Glenn Frey

Default Re: Glenn in the Press/Blogs/etc.

These are freaking AWESOME!!! They deserve their own thread and I'm making it now!

(And no I haven't heard them before lol)

Isn't it amazing how "new" things keep popping up, even after you think you've heard it all?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Previously Unheard Demos of Nightingale and Get Up Kate on Bill Halverson website

OMG!! That was awesome!!!! Thank you AEW21 for finding those!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

Default Re: Previously Unheard Demos of Nightingale and Get Up Kate on Bill Halverson website

That is too awesome!!

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

That's just awesome! This made my day a bit better

"When you got no life to lose. Well, there's nothin' left to gain"

Wow! These are great! I just LOVE hearing alternate unreleased tracks and versions like this. Much thanks for finding these AEW21 and steering us over to this site (The Joni Mitchell tracks are awesome, too), and certainly thanks to Bill Halverson for finding and posting these lost gems. These will be cherished.

I just wish the band themselves were more interested in finding and making available other 'lost' recordings from their earlier days. I know that Glenn and Don have maintained that there just isn't anything to release, but I think that is nonsense. I'm sure that there are old, unreleased songs, bits, alternate takes and recordings that would be a goldmine to fans such as us here. I just don't think that Don and Glenn have any interest in releasing any of that stuff, probably because they don't think it is any good or worthy of being released. Although it is very likely that there might not be anything that is up to their high standards that they want to see released, I'm sure there is a lot more unreleased studio stuff out there that may never be heard. Even if not that high quality, real fans want to hear all that went on in those recording sessions.

What about all the tracks from the abandoned Glyn Johns London sessions for On The Border (I'm sure someone has those somewhere). They recorded enough for a whole album there, including several songs that were ultimately scrapped (Like Bernie's 'Georgia Peach' and Randy's 'Wait and See', and who knows what else?) as well as different versions of songs that did make the album (Like 'Ol '55', 'Good Day in Hell', and 'James Dean'). We know these songs existed because they were playing them at live shows in November 1973, right after their London sessions, which was well before they returned to the studio in 1974 with Bill Szymczyk to 're-do' the album. The only tracks from the Johns sessions that were used for the album were 'Best of My Love' and 'You Never Cry Like a Lover'. All the rest were scrapped. Would LOVE for those tapes to be made available sometime or somewhere (I bet Johns still has copies of them). Maybe some day. And who knows what else might be out there?

Even if the stuff is not of high enough quality for commercial release as an official Eagles rarities album or whatever, perhaps at some point it could be distributed as mp3's to fan sites such as this, who would really appreciate any and all tracks, songs, and insights into the recording process of this great band.

Anyway, I appreciate any bits we can get so these tracks are great finds. And here's hoping that we can get many more of these kinds of recording studio gems as time goes by. Hmm, an album of Eagles outtakes, rarities, etc. might be a great follow-up to the whole 'History of the Eagles' Dvd, tour, etc. We can only hope.
    BBKron

Check out my music blog, the BB Chronicles at http://bbchron.blogspot.com

Great Find! Even though Nightingale is a song I never really liked and always thought of as filler. But I respect it a little more now, that I know it was fought for.

But amazing story. Amazing how some stuff never makes the Books/bios/documentaries.

Now a question, who owns the rights to this song? The producer the band? If its te band, how is he allowed to post them and share them?

PS:

And BB about alternate takes. The Doors released not long ago a whole album of the LA WOMAN LP just with Aleternate takes of all the tracks...not only that, even the cover was made to look like how the designers were working on it half way through with notes and stuff. So yeah, I imagine tere has to be alternate takes of stuff. Especially wit the latter albums when they spent much longer in the studio. LA WOMAN for example was the Doors last album with Jim Morrison alive.

Out on the Border ThePerfectBeast's Avatar

Nice find , thanks for sharing.Hope we get to hear all this "lost" stuff someday
    "The great unconscious urban masses , with narrow minds and spreading asses..."

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

AEW, what a great find! That is just awesome! Thanks so much for finding this and posting it!

I agree with BBK. There's probably more stuff out there but the guys just don't think it's good enough to worry with.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by BBKron View Post
    Wow! These are great! I just LOVE hearing alternate unreleased tracks and versions like this. Much thanks for finding these AEW21 and steering us over to this site (The Joni Mitchell tracks are awesome, too), and certainly thanks to Bill Halverson for finding and posting these lost gems. These will be cherished.

I just wish the band themselves were more interested in finding and making available other 'lost' recordings from their earlier days. I know that Glenn and Don have maintained that there just isn't anything to release, but I think that is nonsense. I'm sure that there are old, unreleased songs, bits, alternate takes and recordings that would be a goldmine to fans such as us here. I just don't think that Don and Glenn have any interest in releasing any of that stuff, probably because they don't think it is any good or worthy of being released. Although it is very likely that there might not be anything that is up to their high standards that they want to see released, I'm sure there is a lot more unreleased studio stuff out there that may never be heard. Even if not that high quality, real fans want to hear all that went on in those recording sessions.

What about all the tracks from the abandoned Glyn Johns London sessions for On The Border (I'm sure someone has those somewhere). They recorded enough for a whole album there, including several songs that were ultimately scrapped (Like Bernie's 'Georgia Peach' and Randy's 'Wait and See', and who knows what else?) as well as different versions of songs that did make the album (Like 'Ol '55', 'Good Day in Hell', and 'James Dean'). We know these songs existed because they were playing them at live shows in November 1973, right after their London sessions, which was well before they returned to the studio in 1974 with Bill Szymczyk to 're-do' the album. The only tracks from the Johns sessions that were used for the album were 'Best of My Love' and 'You Never Cry Like a Lover'. All the rest were scrapped. Would LOVE for those tapes to be made available sometime or somewhere (I bet Johns still has copies of them). Maybe some day. And who knows what else might be out there?

Even if the stuff is not of high enough quality for commercial release as an official Eagles rarities album or whatever, perhaps at some point it could be distributed as mp3's to fan sites such as this, who would really appreciate any and all tracks, songs, and insights into the recording process of this great band.

Anyway, I appreciate any bits we can get so these tracks are great finds. And here's hoping that we can get many more of these kinds of recording studio gems as time goes by. Hmm, an album of Eagles outtakes, rarities, etc. might be a great follow-up to the whole 'History of the Eagles' Dvd, tour, etc. We can only hope.
    there is a lot of truth here