Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What song should go?

Default What song should go?

Let's do a hypothetical here. Assuming the new album will indeed be released this year, and assuming they will tour, and assuming that they will put some new songs into the setlist... what should go to make room for the new stuff?

I say Sunset Grill should be one to go. It's not Eagles, it drags live, and its only virtue seems to be the cheer that goes up with Don sings "meanwhile grab another beer [...] all our friends are here." Sorry, don't think the cheer from the drunks is a good enough reason to keep the thing in the set!

So what do you guys think?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Interesting topic, Soda. They would probably have to drop a few songs if they wanted to include some from the new album, but they definitely need to keep the old favourites as well. I agree with you about Sunset Grill. Certainly the British audience didn't seem familiar with it, and IMHO I thought Don was a little off key singing it. If Tim is going to sing Do Something, and I would love to hear that live, perhaps LWKUA could go. Joe had three solo songs last year: Walk Away, Funk#49 and Rocky Mountain Way. After Dublin they seemed to drop RMW, which seemed a shame as it rocked. Funk#49 could be dropped, although I loved the way Glenn and Tim got into that one. Don's solos, well, perhaps All She Wants To Do Is Dance could go - that's another that they dropped after Dublin, and again, less well known over here. Of the Eagles songs, I'd vote off Witchy Woman and possibly In The City.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

I agree about Sunset Grill, but I think Schmit should be allowed to have more than two songs, I'd say let him keep Love Will Keep Us Alive. I know I'm biased but none of the Joe songs should be dropped, they add energy to the show. The loss of Rocky Mountain Way was absolutely tragic. Though I'd love to see them bring back the ballad Help Me Thru the Night, he is so amazing on that song that I'd be willing to see it replace Rocky Mountain Way or Walk Away. Funk #49 cannot go. It lights the place on fire.

If we have to come up with more than one song, then I'd say let's remove some Henley or Frey songs, they're the ones that currently have the most to spare. I agree that All She Wants To Do Is Dance could readily go. If they need more time they could also cut that saxophone opening to Hotel California, not that it's bad, it just goes on a bit too long. A Frey one we could lose is Take It To The Limit, it's not the same without Meisner.

I only came up with one, but I'd like to add to that now! I'm also in the camp that thinks that All She Wants to Do Is Dance can go. I love Glenn's dancing on it, but the song is still expendable. Also, I agree Witchy Woman can go. It's a hit and all, but it's one of the lesser ones.

As for Joe, I'd love to see them resurrect Turn to Stone, and I can see it replacing RMW. I love the ballads too.. perhaps HMTTN could be added if they snipped the instrumental interludes some? It's a short song!

I adore TITTL - there's no way that one can go! It always is a big hit with the audience. That song is so epic that it gets everybody going.

R.I.P.

I guess it goes w/out saying ODAAT is already gone, I agree sunset grill is a drag on the show, for another Walsh tune, bring back Ordinary Average Guys, that was always big fun at the HFO shows, got the crowd to do the sing along, and Joe and Glenn had fun w/ that "avergage kids and average ex wives" line. I say keep WW, toss TITTL.
    should I stay or go, or should I do some blow.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

OMG - another difficult elimination game. Personally, I vote to extend the shows to 4 hours and just add the new stuff since the price of the tickets for the next and probably last tour will be out of the roof. However, since the guys will not likely be following my advice, I guess I'll try to answer Soda's question.

Like everyone else so far, I agree that Sunset Grill should go. I like it, but it isn't very "Eagley." I hate to see RMW or ASWTDID go, but I think it is likely that they will since this is what they cut from some of the shows on the European tour. I'm betting that this is also signaling an end to the "third encores" as well. That is such a shame since they are such an integral part of the band's history. If any of Joe's song have to go, I'd rather see In the City or Walk Away go instead of RMW. Zermie, I was thinking if ODAAT is the only new Joe song on the album, they may bring it back. I'm hoping they will keep both of Tim's songs and give him at least one more. If he only gets two, then I'd rather dispose of LWKUA and replace it with something new. I like Do Something a lot, but would love to see Tim do a rocker. I'd like to see them bring back at least one of Glenn's solo songs (maybe Smuggler's Blues) and dispose of Hole in the World.

Now - this is somewhat off topic, but I would also like to see them go back to performing Desperado the good old-fashioned way - Don back on drums and Glenn at the piano.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFan
    I agree about Sunset Grill. Funk #49 cannot go. It lights the place on fire.

A Frey one we could lose is Take It To The Limit, it's not the same without Meisner.
    JF, I agree with all those statements. Ditch Sunset Grill. Ditch TITTL too--I miss Randy's high notes every time I hear Glenn do it. Bring back Smuggler's Blues for Glenn. Replace LWKUA with Do Something for Timothy.
    However, ASWTDID lights the place on fire just the same way that Funk #49 does, so I think it should stay.

Personally, I would add Good Day in Hell--that song rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    Bring back Smuggler's Blues for Glenn.
    I can agree with you here. Another song that would be great to bring back is The Heat Is On. EVERYBODY knows it. It's gone beyond an 80s hit to a song sampled so frequently at sports games it's up there with songs like "We Will Rock You," and "Kiss Him Goodbye" (aka "Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, GOODBYE!") Not to mention all the weather forecasts that sample it. I even heard it played before a news segment on rising gas prices for the winter! The heat is on, the heat is on! over footage of people turning up their heaters. I kid you not.

However, ASWTDID lights the place on fire just the same way that Funk #49 does, so I think it should stay.
    Actually, if I were to go for a Don song that really revs everybody up, it would be Dirty Laundry. People just love that "kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em when they're down" part.

Personally, I would add Good Day in Hell--that song rocks!
    Don't even get me started on all the obscure stuff I wish they'd play!

I would love to hear The Heat Is On as an Eagles song. It is the only Glenn solo song that is ever played over here, and I think it could enhance a live concert. On balance - I think it could lift up the house as another recognisable song from a different era. I also loved Dirty Laundry live, and Boys of Summer was superb, and my older son's favourite, so neither of these two should be dropped.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer
    OMG - another difficult elimination game. Personally, I vote to extend the shows to 4 hours and just add the new stuff since the price of the tickets for the next and probably last tour will be out of the roof. However, since the guys will not likely be following my advice, I guess I'll try to answer Soda's question.

Like everyone else so far, I agree that Sunset Grill should go. I like it, but it isn't very "Eagley." I hate to see RMW or ASWTDID go, but I think it is likely that they will since this is what they cut from some of the shows on the European tour. I'm betting that this is also signaling an end to the "third encores" as well. That is such a shame since they are such an integral part of the band's history. If any of Joe's song have to go, I'd rather see In the City or Walk Away go instead of RMW. Zermie, I was thinking if ODAAT is the only new Joe song on the album, they may bring it back. I'm hoping they will keep both of Tim's songs and give him at least one more. If he only gets two, then I'd rather dispose of LWKUA and replace it with something new. I like Do Something a lot, but would love to see Tim do a rocker. I'd like to see them bring back at least one of Glenn's solo songs (maybe Smuggler's Blues) and dispose of Hole in the World.

Now - this is somewhat off topic, but I would also like to see them go back to performing Desperado the good old-fashioned way - Don back on drums and Glenn at the piano.
    I agree with this. Especially the last paragraph.

I can't believe that RMW was dropped for some of the European shows. Drop ITC or Walk Away, NOT RMW. Drop SG & ASW. Drop LWKUA. Please.

I haven't seen WW and I want to. Particularly because Don plays drums on it. So if one of Glenn's songs had to go (shock horror) I suppose I could live without PEF. NOT Already Gone because apart from HT that is the only uptempo song he has.

Somehow I doubt that ODAAT will ever be played again. As for HITW - if there is a new song filled with harmonies that could replace it, I guess I could live with it being dropped.