Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Songs by others Glenn & Don helped with...

Stuck on the Border

Default Songs by others Glenn & Don helped with...

There are Eagles songs that were started by another member, but later Don and Glenn helped finish. Off the top of my head "Certain kind of fool", "Hollywood waltz", "Take it to the limit", and "I can't tell you why" come to mind. I'm not including songs started by Felder, because we know that he didn't contribute lyrics. My question concerns those other songs. So:
    Do we know what Don and Glenn contributed to those songs? Were they just lyrics, or did they contribute music too? We do know that Randy and Bernie wrote lyrics, so they didn't necessarily need Don and Glenn to help write them. And we also know (if it's true!) about Glenn's tendency, as claimed by Felder, sometimes to "change a word and gain a third". I know that Glenn's and Don's contribution to "Hollywood waltz" was just lyrics, because Bernie has said that they took the lyric to a metaphorical level. Bernie said that stuff like acacias blooming were originally meant literally, and he loved how Glenn and Don took it to another level.
    So, those other songs...do we know how much Glenn and Don contributed?

Also, in the Farewell I DVD Glenn says about "TITtL" that it's a song he and Don wrote. I find that a bit irritatingHowever, in History Of the Eagles Glenn says that Randy started it.

Default Re: Songs by others Glenn & Don helped with...

Doesn't Randy say something in the doc like that it was normal for him to only have a couple of lines to his songs, and Glenn and Don would finish them?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Doesn't Randy say something in the doc like that it was normal for him to only have a couple of lines to his songs, and Glenn and Don would finish them?
    Does he? I missed that. Well, that would be the answer to the Meisner/Henley/Frey question.

yea, he said "I'd write a couple of lines and Don and Glenn would finish"

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    There are Eagles songs that were started by another member, but later Don and Glenn helped finish. Off the top of my head "Certain kind of fool", "Hollywood waltz", "Take it to the limit", and "I can't tell you why" come to mind. I'm not including songs started by Felder, because we know that he didn't contribute lyrics. My question concerns those other songs. So:
    Do we know what Don and Glenn contributed to those songs? Were they just lyrics, or did they contribute music too? We do know that Randy and Bernie wrote lyrics, so they didn't necessarily need Don and Glenn to help write them. And we also know (if it's true!) about Glenn's tendency, as claimed by Felder, sometimes to "change a word and gain a third". I know that Glenn's and Don's contribution to "Hollywood waltz" was just lyrics, because Bernie has said that they took the lyric to a metaphorical level. Bernie said that stuff like acacias blooming were originally meant literally, and he loved how Glenn and Don took it to another level.
    So, those other songs...do we know how much Glenn and Don contributed?

Also, in the Farewell I DVD Glenn says about "TITtL" that it's a song he and Don wrote. I find that a bit irritatingHowever, in History Of the Eagles Glenn says that Randy started it.
    First of all, can we please take that 'change a word & gain a third' stuff with an extremely large pinch of salt. Is Felder going to credit Glenn with anything at all? No.

From what I understand most of the music of ICTYW was written by Glenn & Don helped Tim with the lyrics. I would guess this is also the case with TITTL. I doubt that at this stage we will ever know what they contributed to the other songs you mentioned.

FWIW, here's a quote from the 1975 Rolling Stone article which mentions lyric writing (highlighting added, italics are original).

Though the Eagles agree that it's probably their finest effort, Desperado was the scene of the battle that the group still fights every time they enter the studio. "The only two people in this group who tend to think alike are Glenn and me," explains Henley, "and we've always wanted every song to be the best that it could be. We didn't want any filler. No stinkers. So there's been plenty of fights even with Glyn Johns over 'Aww, you guys just want to rewrite all the lyrics.' That’s not true. We don't disagree with anything anybody in the band has to say, it's just how they say it. When somebody hears a bad song, they're not gonna say, 'So-and-so wrote a weak song.' They're gonna say, 'There’s a shitty song on the Eagles album.' It reflects on everybody. Still, I suppose it's a matter of taste."

Frey cuts in, "I asked Graham Nash once, 'In CSNY did you guys ever change any of the other guys' lyrics?' He said, 'No, never. Why, do you do that?' I said 'yeah' and he kinda looked shocked. I just think it’s part of the band trip.

I have seen a clip from a concert, Farewell 1 era I believe, where Glenn is introducing TITTL & he says that he & Don wrote the song " for & with " Randy. I found it odd that he didn't mention Randy in Farewell 1.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Turf View Post
    FWIW, here's a quote from the 1975 Rolling Stone article which mentions lyric writing (highlighting added, italics are original).
    Thanks. It does look like Don's and Glenn's contributions to some of those songs were basically lyrics. So "Certain kind of fool" was probably totally Randy's composition. "On the border" is interesting. The music is probably mostly Bernie's; at least the verse.
    Last edited by chaim; 06-02-2013 at 04:01 PM.

Stuck on the Border

And what about the songs they co-wrote with J.D. Souther? Which parts of those songs did Don & Glenn write?

It has bugged me for years, the suspicion that maybe most of New Kid In Town was written by Souther, and that may be one of the reasons why the song has fallen so far from grace with the band (leaving aside the 'it's too hard to sing' business). I don't know why that would be the case but there it is.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    I have seen a clip from a concert, Farewell 1 era I believe, where Glenn is introducing TITTL & he says that he & Don wrote the song " for & with " Randy. I found it odd that he didn't mention Randy in Farewell 1.
    Because it just isn't the done thing to give shout outs to former members in filmed performances?