Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Songs by others Glenn & Don helped with...

Default Re: Songs by others Glenn & Don helped with...

I have a song title

"Marking Time"

as in we live day to day marking time

we should make our Mark on the World and not just mark time.

does that make sense?

Don would do wonders with that!

Exclamation Re: Songs by others Glenn & Don helped with...

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I'm not including songs started by Felder, because we know that he didn't contribute lyrics.
    I don't think that is entirely accurate. Granted he typically wrote the musical scores, in some cases the entire song for most of the different instruments. However he also wrote some lyrics for different songs, but probably not enough to be listed as one of the main contributers.
    One of the most interesting things he did early on was suggest they change One Of These Nights from a piano based song to a guitar based one. While I'm sure the other would have been nice, I cannot imagine one of my favorite songs any other way.

And we also know (if it's true!) about Glenn's tendency, as claimed by Felder, sometimes to "change a word and gain a third".
    Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    First of all, can we please take that 'change a word & gain a third' stuff with an extremely large pinch of salt.
    Having read his book twice recently, I keep finding it amazing how others say it was Felder saying this. Sure he wrote it in his book, but he was actually attributing that saying as something both L eadon and Meisner were complaining about when he joined the band. In the TITTL book, Meisner gains a voice not read in any other book thus far, and expresses both his and L eadons discontent with how Frey/Henley took over everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Is Felder going to credit Glenn with anything at all? No.
    I don't know what book you read, but Felder was very complimentary toward both Frey and Henley. Sure he had his criticism of them as well, but by and large he always had positive things to say about their abilities. He has also done so publicly, such as the HOF induction ceremony, and in the Doc.
    He recently did an interview where he took the high road despite the host being outraged on Felder's behalf after having watched the Doc.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGMj093pl0k[/ame]

My impression is that Frey is the one who rarely gives credit to Felder, and/or minimizes his contributions, not the other way around.

`

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    One of the most interesting things he did early on was suggest they change One Of These Nights from a piano based song to a guitar based one. While I'm sure the other would have been nice, I cannot imagine one of my favorite songs any other way.

Having read his book twice recently, I keep finding it amazing how others say it was Felder saying this. Sure he wrote it in his book, but he was actually attributing that saying as something both L eadon and Meisner were complaining about when he joined the band. In the TITTL book, Meisner gains a voice not read in any other book thus far, and expresses both his and L eadons discontent with how Frey/Henley took over everything.

`
    These two points...

Yeah, Don F changed OOTN into something great, but of course, Glenn did those harmony guitars.

"Change a word, gain a third". You are absolutely right; Don was only saying what he remembered Randy and Bernie saying. I didn't mean to imply say those were Don's words. I felt that everybody here probably knows that he was quoting those guys, so I didn't felt I needed to say that.

Lightbulb Re: Songs by others Glenn & Don helped with...

These two points...

Yeah, Don F changed OOTN into something great, but of course, Glenn did those harmony guitars.

"Change a word, gain a third". You are absolutely right; Don was only saying what he remembered Randy and Bernie saying. I didn't mean to imply say those were Don's words. I felt that everybody here probably knows that he was quoting those guys, so I didn't felt I needed to say that.
    Just as some people have no clue about Felder saying it was his other bandmates making that comment, so to do many people not realize that Frey is a great player in his own right.

Part of what made the Eagles so great is the fact they all played multiple instruments well, and all sang well. You just had a few who were exceptional at certain aspects, so the others would get overshadowed. For instance most people say either Henley or Frey were great lead vocalists, with the other guys being harmony/backup vocalists. Yet everyone in the band, (Felder included) had good voices. It is just that two were exceptional, another two were exceptional for a certain type of pitch songs(Meisner - Schmit), and the rest could sing lead in most other bands. The same is true of Frey where not only could he play lead guitar, but his ability to play guitar in other capacities (including lead) is overlooked because of L eadon, Felder, and Walsh.

Stuck on the Border

Just as some people have no clue about Felder saying it was his other bandmates making that comment, so to do many people not realize that Frey is a great player in his own right.

Part of what made the Eagles so great is the fact they all played multiple instruments well, and all sang well. You just had a few who were exceptional at certain aspects, so the others would get overshadowed. For instance most people say either Henley or Frey were great lead vocalists, with the other guys being harmony/backup vocalists. Yet everyone in the band, (Felder included) had good voices. It is just that two were exceptional, another two were exceptional for a certain type of pitch songs(Meisner - Schmit), and the rest could sing lead in most other bands. The same is true of Frey where not only could he play lead guitar, but his ability to play guitar in other capacities (including lead) is overlooked because of L eadon, Felder, and Walsh.
    Yep. No one in the Eagles is probably considered the "king of the keys", but Glenn's the one who has probably played them most. But, when you listen to New Kid In Town, the original version, it's obvious that Joe's keyboard parts (electric piano & organ) raise the song to another level. Joe is known as a guitar hero, but many people probably don't realise that he can do fine suff on keyboards too.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Yep. No one in the Eagles is probably considered the "king of the keys", but Glenn's the one who has probably played them most. But, when you listen to New Kid In Town, the original version, it's obvious that Joe's keyboard parts (electric piano & organ) raise the song to another level. Joe is known as a guitar hero, but many people probably don't realise that he can do fine suff on keyboards too.
    His mother was a really good pianist, right? I remember reading a long time ago, somewhere but no idea where, that he was/is truly great tickling the ivories. I for one am glad he chose guitar, but yeah, he's not to be underestimated on keys.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I believe Joe's mother may have played professionally at some point. He describes her as "classically trained."

It's true that one doesn't typically think of Joe as being a multi-instrumentalist. I remember being surprised when, during a concert video, Joe popped back to play on the keyboards for an Eagles song here and there.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I don't know what book you read, but Felder was very complimentary toward both Frey and Henley. Sure he had his criticism of them as well, but by and large he always had positive things to say about their abilities. He has also done so publicly, such as the HOF induction ceremony, and in the Doc.
    He recently did an interview where he took the high road despite the host being outraged on Felder's behalf after having watched the Doc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGMj093pl0k

My impression is that Frey is the one who rarely gives credit to Felder, and/or minimizes his contributions, not the other way around.

`
    I will make a quick response to this & then I will say no more.

After the band split up Frey constantly went out of his way to praise Felder's ability. He did it all the time, although I cannot quote chapter & verse at the moment

If you thought that Felder was complimentary to Frey in his book you will have to give me some examples because I found precisely none. The HOF induction ceremony was a very long time ago before it all went wrong & in that instance he was praising the Henley/Frey songwriting team.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

The same is true of Frey where not only could he play lead guitar, but his ability to play guitar in other capacities (including lead) is overlooked because of L eadon, Felder, and Walsh.
    I am in awe over his guitar-playing skills. As a fellow left-hander who can't even butter my bread with my right hand, I am always amazed when watching and listening to him.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I am in awe over his guitar-playing skills. As a fellow left-hander who can't even butter my bread with my right hand, I am always amazed when watching and listening to him.
    Me too!!! I wouldn't even attempt to put a knife, even a butter knife, in my right hand. Dangerous.
    He sings it high, he plays it low