Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Chicago

Default Re: Chicago

After I saw that Peter declined to be interviewed, I wasn't interested in it.

Really, Peter!!! Do he really hate your old band or have bad blood? He really is a diva. It just makes me think of when he didn't do the RnR HoF because things didn't go his way.

I don't know what the story is with him not wanted anything to do with Chicago(it was probably said in the documentary, but of course I didn't watch).

Stuck on the Border

I think the difference was that when they did ballads before, they were something they, or the writer of the song, wanted to do; but after If You Leave Me Now ballads were expected from them more and more. I don't think Robert has anything against IYLMN, or any other ballad particularly, just the "machinery" with its expectations. Robert has written some beautiful ballads himself.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Mr. Lamm also said that "Cetera wasn't really a songwriter" before; which is a weird thing to say because Peter co-wrote some very big hits for them.

I don't know about the inter-band conflicts; these are just my impressions. Why was Lamm uncooperative just because Peter wanted to change the key of a song that they planned to play at the Hall of Fame ceremony? People's voices change over the years, that's natural.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Mr. Lamm also said that "Cetera wasn't really a songwriter" before; which is a weird thing to say because Peter co-wrote some very big hits for them.

I don't know about the inter-band conflicts; these are just my impressions. Why was Lamm uncooperative just because Peter wanted to change the key of a song that they planned to play at the Hall of Fame ceremony? People's voices change over the years, that's natural.
    When you listen to Cetera's first Chicago songs, they are rather...bad. You can hear him develop as a songwriter on the Chicago records. As for the refusal to change the key, from what I read it was the horn section. But I can understand if the guys in the band didn't like it when an ex-member suddenly told them which song they were going to play gonna play and what his terms were. As far as I know Lamm would've loved to play with Cetera.

Border Rebel

This whole show was interesting watch for someone who has been a Chicago fan from the beginning. I was aware of some the band's personal (and personnel) struggles, but really didn't know that Danny Seraphine was pushed out. I figured Cetera left on his own, but wasn't aware of the circumstances of that exit. The one thing that caught me completely off guard was the fact that David Foster is a complete pompous ass! He came across as totally unlikeable and a control freak. Over the years, many people my age (and I am OLD) have come to understand his work as something called the Foster Freeze where he turns everything he works on into some homogenized schlock. I get that he helped CHICAGO 16 (and 17 and 1 into hits, but those albums cannot compare with any of the music the band did during their heyday.

When it comes on again, I will watch it. I was a fan of Chicago music when Peter was in the band. When I saw a few minutes into the documentary that Peter declined to be interviewed, I was like really. What an azz when I saw that. Did they use some of the songs he sang on?

OT. I really hope Steve Perry participate in the RnR HoF. Fans want to see them together like a lot of fans wanted to see Peter back together for that one night at the RnR HoF.

Yes, they featured a lot of songs that Peter sang on, from the early 70s to the 80s.

I guess the conflicts within the band weren't widely known? Maybe not even among their friends. I remember Felder wishing the Eagles could have been close friends like the guys in Chicago.

Oh ok. Thanks. I remembered a documentary I can't remembered which singer or group it was on where they weren't allowed to use any of the former member's songs he sang on. For the life of me I don't remember who it was. That's why I asked did they use any of the songs he sang on.

Its coming on again this Saturday. i have it DVR'D just in case I forget to tune in.

Has anyone seen the film that Michelle Kath made about her dad? I think she interviewed Joe Walsh, as well as all the guys in Chicago (except Peter, he must really hate his old bandmates).

The Chicago doc made passing reference to Terry Kath insulting the country of Britain in 1977. Anyone know what he said? It was so bad the band couldn't play there for like nine years.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    The Chicago doc made passing reference to Terry Kath insulting the country of Britain in 1977. Anyone know what he said? It was so bad the band couldn't play there for like nine years.
    The story is here, on the right sidebar: http://www.terrykath.com/guitar-player-mag/

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten