Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Most Underrated Eagles Songs per Ultimate Classic Rock.com

Out on the Border outontheborder's Avatar

Default Re: Top 10 Most Underrated Eagles Songs per Ultimate Classic Rock.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ephi82 View Post
    The Hollywood Waltz has one of Henley's best lyrics and singing and harmonies, as usual, are incredible.

The reviewer mentioned in this thread says that "After The Thrill is Gone" is a country song?

I dont know about that...it's an R&B influenced song for sure.

Fact is, after On the Border, the Eagles really tried to blend rock with R&B. One of These Nights is a great example.
    Although loads of their songs don't sound very country at all, that always seems to be what people label them as.

Border Desperado RebeccaLovesEagles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ephi82 View Post
    The Hollywood Waltz has one of Henley's best lyrics and singing and harmonies, as usual, are incredible.

The reviewer mentioned in this thread says that "After The Thrill is Gone" is a country song?

I dont know about that...it's an R&B influenced song for sure.

Fact is, after On the Border, the Eagles really tried to blend rock with R&B. One of These Nights is a great example.
    I love the end of Hollywood Waltz. Don H voice at the end makes me melt

You know you have some delicious bugs here about on the Mississippi... Extra Protein thank you very much!!!!-Don Henley- At the St. Louis, MO concert June 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by RebeccaLovesEagles View Post
    I love the end of Hollywood Waltz. Don H voice at the end makes me melt
    It's nice to see some love for Hollywood Waltz. I've always thought it was such a pretty song. Don sounds great on it.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

If it was a hit single, it shouldnt be on this list. PERIOD.

Border Desperado RebeccaLovesEagles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    It's nice to see some love for Hollywood Waltz. I've always thought it was such a pretty song. Don sounds great on it.
    PM, Hollywood Waltz and DD reprise are my 2 favorites. HW is so pretty and I love the lyrics

You know you have some delicious bugs here about on the Mississippi... Extra Protein thank you very much!!!!-Don Henley- At the St. Louis, MO concert June 2010.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Someone linked to this site in another thread today, and I remembered this thread. I reread it and realized I had never commented about their list. I don't think it's too bad, although I don't agree that I Can't Tell You Why or One of Those Nights are underrated. I agree with most of the others. Let me just say that I find it almost impossible to do list like these because I always struggle to limit myself to the number requested.

My list would include almost their entire catalog that were not hits ...

Train Leaves Here This Morning
    Entire Desperado album
    Midnight Flyer
    My Man
    On the Border
    James Dean
    Ol' 55
    Good Day in Hell
    Hollywood Waltz
    After the Thrill Is Gone
    Every 'non-hit' from the Hotel California album
    King of Hollywood
    Those Shoes
    The Sad Cafe
    Learn To Be Still
    How Long
    What Do I Do With My Heart
    Waiting In the Weeds
    You Are Not Alone
    Long Road Out of Eden
    I Dreamed There Was No War
    Somebody
    I Love To Watch a Woman Dance

I guess you can call me a hardcore.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I wouldn't call either How Long or WITW underrated. How Long got a huge amount of attention & WITW has been a huge favourite of Borderers since Day One. But I absolutely agree with LROOE, YANA, Somebody & of course ILTWAWD. I am not so sure about WDIDWMH. I guess it should have received more attention than it got & therefore it is underrated. Do Something is underrated.

These days, as I have said before, it seems that my two favourite Eagles songs, NKIT & Lyin' Eyes, are underrated. (I could no longer continue to claim that Hotel California is my second favourite Eagles song). This may be because I seem to be more passionate about those songs than many people. Regarding Hollywood Waltz, I understand why people feel it is underrated, but it leaves me cold, like most of that album.

Border Troubadour

Never understood why Good Day in Hell has practically disappeared into history alongside most of the rest of OTB. Absolutely brilliant song and for me should have been a staple as much as the likes of Already Gone and Best of My Love became.

I tend to discover a new Eagles song every couple of weeks (e.g. I've only heard about half of Eagles and LROOE in depth) so I might get a bit hyped up on these nominations, but some I've discovered recently that like GDIH have vanished without relative trace when they shouldn't have are Most of Us Are Sad and Do Something. The guitar work in the former is beautiful, and the tempo / groove / lyrics of the latter is what makes it for me TBS's best song (ICTWY never really endeared itself to me, and there's something a bit too soppy about LWKUA). I'd also be tempted to say Hollywood Waltz, but like FP said there's something a bit flat about it (and the rest of OOTN). If I had to do a list I'd probably say (most underrated first):
    1. The Last Resort
    2. Good Day in Hell
    3. After the Thrill is Gone
    4. Do Something
    5. Outlaw Man
    6. Ol' 55
    7. Victim of Love
    8. Sad Cafe
    9. Tequila Sunrise
    10. Most of Us Are Sad

I'm really liking King of Hollywood

the first song that comes to my mind is Victim of Love...I adore that song...