Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles and Dixie Chicks

I saw the Dixie Chicks and wasn't impressed, perhaps I just don't appreciate country music.

I'm a big fan of country music, just not a big fan of the chicks lol Still, this would be very cool to see!

I'm with you, Maleah. I like country fine. The Dixie Chicks just don't do it for me. I did buy Home for their version of "Landslide", and I also liked Natalie Maines on "Too Far from Texas" (her duet with Stevie Nicks), but I wouldn't buy another album from them. Natalie annoys me, and her voice can get kind of shrill. Anyway, I honestly think that they're more famous for the controversy surrounding them than for their music. People who'd never heard a song of theirs before, who disdained country music, all of the sudden think the Dixie Chicks are the cat's meow after Natalie's famous diss of George Bush. Frankly, I wonder if that's why they caught the eye of Don - their politics rather than their talent. And now look at 'em - opening for the Eagles. Does anyone really think that would have happened without the Bush diss?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Personally, I have liked the Dixie Chicks ever since "Wide Open Spaces," and to watch them perform "Mattress Dancing" is a real hoot. I think Don appreciates both their musical talent and their politics.

Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts
    I'm with you, Maleah. I like country fine. The Dixie Chicks just don't do it for me. I did buy Home for their version of "Landslide", and I also liked Natalie Maines on "Too Far from Texas" (her duet with Stevie Nicks), but I wouldn't buy another album from them. Natalie annoys me, and her voice can get kind of shrill. Anyway, I honestly think that they're more famous for the controversy surrounding them than for their music. People who'd never heard a song of theirs before, who disdained country music, all of the sudden think the Dixie Chicks are the cat's meow after Natalie's famous diss of George Bush. Frankly, I wonder if that's why they caught the eye of Don - their politics rather than their talent. And now look at 'em - opening for the Eagles. Does anyone really think that would have happened without the Bush diss?
    I think there's only one song that I liked by the DC and I can't even remember the title for sure. lol I think maybe it was called Long Time Gone. The main reason I don't like them is the same, Natalie annoys me. Both her voic and her attitude. They were getting pretty big in country music before the big diss and I think pretty much the only ones still impressed with them are the hollywood crowd and the extreme liberals in music. I don't have a problem with her opinion.........but I got tired of her saying that she was tired of nobody letting it drop, when her and the other two were the ones who kept it going on by making snide little comments during interviews, award speeches, and other odds and ends. Honestly, I have some doubt as well as to whether Don would have thought so highly of them, had it not been for the big ordeal. But............who am I to say. I don't know any of them.

Just my $ .08

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    I think Don appreciates both their musical talent and their politics.
    Oh, I'm sure he thinks they're talented, too - and I agree. That fiddle player is great, Maines has good range, and I like it when they do those tight harmonies. I just don't think their talent is the main factor - I mean, there are lots of talented bands. The Eagles hardly ever have an opening band. The exception was made for the Dixie Chicks because they're just that incredibly awesome musically?

Quote Originally Posted by Maleah
    They were getting pretty big in country music before the big diss and I think pretty much the only ones still impressed with them are the hollywood crowd and the extreme liberals in music. I don't have a problem with her opinion.........but I got tired of her saying that she was tired of nobody letting it drop, when her and the other two were the ones who kept it going on by making snide little comments during interviews, award speeches, and other odds and ends.
    Of course they bring it up at awards ceremonies and the like, knowing they'll get lots of cheers and applause if they remind folks of it. They'll be bringing it up when they're Dixie Grandmas.

But I don't mean to be negative. I think they've got lots of fans of all political persuasions with their cover of Landslide. It was a big hit, deservedly so. I don't like it as well as the original (big surprise there) but they did a good job with it. And they have some other strong songs, too. I'm sure their set will be enjoyable and I look forward to whatever this event is that they're doing with the Eagles.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

You're right Nancy. And sorry guys.......I didn't mean to be negative either. It just spilled out of my fingers

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

I'm not familar with the music of the Dixie Chicks. But I'm looking forward to hear more about that event.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I loved the Dixie Chicks.....until the big comment. I think that was very disrespectful of the President of the US, even if they do disagree with his policies, and they lost me for that.

I also, do not want to hear politics at a rock concert. It would make me very happy if Don would drop that stuff at his. I don't go to hear him to listen to his political rants. That's not what made me a fan. jmo
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well - I guess I'm going to be a dissenter here. (Brooke, I can't believe it - we almost always agree about everything. ) First of all, I am really not into country music and am not a fan of the Dixie Chicks. But I certainly think they had already made a name for themselves before Natalie's "comment". I don't know any of their songs except "Not Ready to Make Nice" and I liked that a lot. I thought it was a great "in your face" response to what they went through. Whether you agree with her comments or not, or agree about artists making political statements, I think there was a huge overreaction to what she said. I think the U.S. Constitution guarantees us freedom of speech, and no one should be subjected to death threats just for stating their opinion. I will acknowledge that it may not have been a brilliant career choice for them, however. And this is JMHO!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016