Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Salmon Festival, Newfoundland, Canada - 7/13/13

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: Salmon Festival, Newfoundland - 7/13/13

I have never been to a music festival because it just sounds like them most awful way to spend a day, regardless of what bands are playing - to be outdoors in the elements with all of those sweaty people and bad acoustics. I would guess that it is the Eagles' least favorite type of show to play, and they therefore try to control every element of the day to the maximum extent possible. When faced with unanticipated scenarios (i.e. not aware the show was in Newfoundland, oversold VIP section, etc... - not saying I believe these "facts" are true), management will step in to really shut things down. Of all of the venues to see the Eagles play, I think this would be the worst for the fans. Contrast it with Staples center or MSG - those would be the best, controlled setting, good acoustics, celebrities and families in attendance so the band members are pumped up. I would tell this reviewer to go to one of those shows and then write another review.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

*SIGH* If all this is fact, and I have to think it probably is, it just totally disappoints me. I've been getting more and more disappointed the last several years with this kind of thing. I hate to say it, but it just makes me even more ok with my vow of not paying money to see them again. Why bother? I don't think they really care one way or the other. Wait, yeah they do because it's all about ticket sales and the mighty dollar it seems at times.

And it's S-C-H-M-I-T!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    And it's S-C-H-M-I-T!!!
    I think it's about time you got this tattooed on your forehead! Or at least on a t-shirt...

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Quote Originally Posted by Henley Honey View Post
    Me too. But then I think about my recent concert experience where they were performing these songs in a perfectly heartfelt manner and a majority of the audience talked through it and yelled inappropriately. Having to deal with inattentive morons getting up for drinks every 10 minutes and drunken fan girls screaming for attention must wear you down. I know I'd quickly lose my patience with that behavior in my face on a nightly basis.
    I get that BUT what about giving the fans that actually are there to hear and see them the show they are expecting? Especially for the price of a concert ticket now, they should be bending over backwards and doing somersaults for those fans. And if you can't handle the behavior of the minority in the audience after all these years of performing, then maybe it's time to step away and call it the end, sail off into the sunset and enjoy the next 20 or so years spending the millions you've already made.

Just my opinion. (ducking and running)

Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    I think it's about time you got this tattooed on your forehead! Or at least on a t-shirt...
    Seriously!!! UGH!! These reviewers just lose a little creditability when they do that and it happens a good chunk of the time. Anyone ever wants to get me something Eagles that is unique, you're right, a t-shirt that says just that would be just the ticket.

I'm a little confused....since when do the Eagles have a "greet and meet"????....seems to me, there was a lot of "management issues" with this gig...and I'm sure somebody will pay for that..lol...
    ..and apparently the reporter hadn't done his homework re Eagles concerts...there is always a shortened set list at "festivals"...and Glenn has been singing TITTL for quite some time now....he DID write it, and obviously is allowed to sing it if he wants to...and as for the "lower key range", WHO CARES?...these guys are in their 60's....I imagine when I'm in my sixties, I'll be singing in a lower range...that is, IF I can still sing at all....
    This reporter seemed to be really totally pissed off at anything and everything they Eagles did...Did he really think he would "have a beer and a chat" with the band like he had with "Blue ROdeo"????....seriously??

I wondered about the "meet & greet" too. That is somethat we always said that they never do. And yes, Glenn has been singing TITTL for a very long time. I have seen video of him singing it in the mid '80's. I'm sure he wanted to do it differently than Randy by not singing all the high notes at the end. He has always sung it in a lower key. Still, the review is disappointing as likely some of it is true.

Yes I'm sure it's mostly true...sadly...but like I said..there seemed to be a lot of "issues" with the show...and somebody remarked that there had been some grossly "oversights" by the management and town...The band was probably very disappointed and upset with the whole deal...but of course, they shouldn't have behaved like they did..

Quote Originally Posted by Glennhoney View Post
    Yes I'm sure it's mostly true...sadly...but like I said..there seemed to be a lot of "issues" with the show...and somebody remarked that there had been some grossly "oversights" by the management and town...The band was probably very disappointed and upset with the whole deal...but of course, they shouldn't have behaved like they did..
    I read that among other things they ran out of water at the concert & that they are going to have to review the whole thing to correct it for another year.

GH, do you remember in Moncton that Glenn said that they were " delighted" to be there. (This was a very similar festival that GH & I both attended, but we hadn't even heard of each other at the time It was a very different experience from the one described in Newfoundland).

Quote Originally Posted by Glennhoney View Post
    I'm a little confused....since when do the Eagles have a "greet and meet"????....seems to me, there was a lot of "management issues" with this gig...and I'm sure somebody will pay for that..lol...
    ..and apparently the reporter hadn't done his homework re Eagles concerts...there is always a shortened set list at "festivals"...and Glenn has been singing TITTL for quite some time now....he DID write it, and obviously is allowed to sing it if he wants to...and as for the "lower key range", WHO CARES?...these guys are in their 60's....I imagine when I'm in my sixties, I'll be singing in a lower range...that is, IF I can still sing at all....
    This reporter seemed to be really totally pissed off at anything and everything they Eagles did...Did he really think he would "have a beer and a chat" with the band like he had with "Blue ROdeo"????....seriously??
    GH-- I guess I'm the one that is going to play devil's advocate here. I don't think his complaint was so much about the shortened setlist or even the lower key range but the fact of how they performed the shortened setlist.

As for the M & G--maybe it was from a contest or something. I saw mention of it on FB prior to the show but can't remember who or where I saw it.

And finally-- I don't think he thought he was going to "hang out" with the Eagles but at least SEE them backstage somewhere. And what's wrong with that? And why can't the Eagles hang out like other performers do?

And this is the 2nd show that I've heard mentioned that Don has threatened to stop the show if people didn't stop using their cell phones to take pictures. Really?

You seem to want to discredit what this reporter says so I hope you don't mind if I ask you what you think about the fact that the journalist and photographers were promised the first 3 songs (which has been a long standing policy) in the front of the stage and then were moved back to the sound area? I don't know if you saw the picture from Twitter but I'll post it---I can understand why these journalist would be upset about that. Quite a ways back to be taking professional shots when you were told you'd be up front. Granted, this could of been a management issue but it is the Eagles management.

Hey, I have my bad days too but I do NOT take them out on the people that are paying for my services (that's what my hubby is for ).

And all this in only the 4th (correct?) show of the tour. Yikes!!