Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Salmon Festival, Newfoundland, Canada - 7/13/13

Default Re: Salmon Festival, Newfoundland, Canada - 7/13/13

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    Here is the group photo....click on photo to enlarge it
    Maybe I'm having a glass-half-full sort of day, but they don't look extraordinarily peeved to me in this image at all. I certainly don't see any real anger--we've all seen images that clealy convey they're not happy, and I don't get that here at all.

It's the typical faces they always sport for press. Bless his heart, but Don's "relaxed" face is sort of default set to "Bitch, please"--doesn't mean he's upset--it the charm of Don that he always looks a bit above it all. . And to me Glenn is doing his typical closed-mouth smile. (And who noticed the smile when you see his broad shoulders, nice upper-arms and wee legs--my God, those jeans are like a Danskin leotard tights!) Joe has his goofy grin on. Bernie and Timothy at first glance look mildly irritated, but I think it's really that they were caught off-guard when the photo was taken -- in a group that large, where to look and when is hard to time--I think they didn't know it was photo time just yet! hilarious:

Frankly, with a group this large, they were NEVER going to get an individual M&G--there was never going to be enough time for all those people to get autographs and pics--no way. I have a feeling the radio station or whatever coordinating this misrepresented things a bit...My sister won a contest to "meet and greet" the Packers' Aaron Rodgers during half-time at a hockey game and they were promised "You all will get a photo with Aaron"----Well, it turns out the emphasis was less on "you" and more on "all" --they waited for 20 minutes, Aaron came, they stood around him in a group, and VIOLA! they ALL had their photo with Aaron. Maybe the promoter miscommunicated with the group coordinating the contest and that is how this all began, or perhaps the group running the contest just assumed they'd get to meet them more one-on-one and never bothered to clarify with the EAGLES people what would exactly be involved. The Eagles have never been Pre-show Meet & Greet people, and they weren't going to start before a festival appearance, so I think miscommunication on what to expect doomed this experience--the Eagles didn't really snub them all--this is probably all they intended to do--pose quick and leave.

And do we really know firsthand people were that upset? Seems to be a lot of assumptions going on--they all look pretty happy here, and I didn't see a lot of outrage on Twitter....and people love to unload anger on Twitter.

Could they have been a bit more outgoing with these folks? Sure, but things were already running late, so I'm happy they came out at all; they certainly could have said "No, not any more," but did honor the commitment. And like I said, they look perfectly pleasant to me up there in that pic--a bit rushed, maybe, but not grumpy...or any more grumpy than they look normally during press photos. They aren't glad-handing, autograph people (especially before a show already off the well-tuned schedule they like to maintain!) and I sort of wish someone higher-up would have prepped these poor folk for this--it doesn't mean they don't like you, it just means they feel their best communication with you is via their music and doing their best in stage, not wasting energy and (rushed) time on a quickie smile and nod.

Somewhere along the line Eagles' management (uncharacteristically) got things royally mixed-up for this show, and that domino-ed down the line to however this M&G was set-up. I have a feeling the Eagles were blindsided and reacted badly to it all, and these folk were left with whatever good will was left after all these mistakes. All in all, I think it's a nice photo for them all to have as a momento--I mean, that woman who had her arm around Glenn can't complain.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Ha ha I thought photo op meant the Eagles stood there and the contest winners got to take THEIR picture, like animals in a zoo!
    This just made me laugh. Too funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer
    Not to belabor this, but unless you were actually there or have psychic powers, you have no idea what went on at the photo op - no more than anyone else here. You have made your feelings quite clear with your repeated post in this thread. I don't know why you feel the need to beat a dead horse.
    To be fair, I'm seeing several members here with multiple post that are on both sides of the controversy, some saying they think it was a slap to the contest winners/fans and some saying they think how it was handled was ok. I don't think anyone on EITHER side, is beating a dead horse, just stating their opinion. That includes myself. I've seen several people that are in disagreement with myself state their opinion in several different post, but I don't consider it beating a dead horse or would I accuse them of that because they disagree with me.

You're right, not one of us here has psychic powers and knows how it all really went down, including you and me and everyone else on this board who has stated their opinion in this thread. Some of us are just more adamant about our opinions.

Sorry, but that's just my opinion and I'm never afraid to state it in a respectful way and I would hate it if anyone thinks they can't do that for fear they'll be told that if they do they're beating a dead horse if they say it more than once.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Sorry Willie - but I guess we will have to respectfully disagree on this. I surely have no problem with anyone stating their opinion here whether they agree with me or not. Additionally, I have no problem with someone who makes multiple posts if they have something new to add - that's call a discussion. However, IMO, someone who dominates the discussion by repeating the same argument over and over is beating a dead horse. And, to me, this is particularly tiresome if they present it as if they know more than others. These are the types of posts that upset others and can cause confrontation. So I was just trying to 'nip this in the bud' before a disagreement ensued. Given the complaints that we have gotten about all of the arguing on the board, I thought most people would appreciate that.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Sorry Willie - but I guess we will have to respectfully disagree on this. I surely have no problem with anyone stating their opinion here whether they agree with me or not. Additionally, I have no problem with someone who makes multiple posts if they have something new to add - that's call a discussion. However, IMO, someone who dominates the discussion by repeating the same argument over and over is beating a dead horse. And, to me, this is particularly tiresome if they present it as if they know more than others. These are the types of posts that upset others and can cause confrontation. So I was just trying to 'nip this in the bud' before a disagreement ensued. Given the complaints that we have gotten about all of the arguing on the board, I thought most people would appreciate that.
    There was no argument...I was just conveying what the guy in the article wrote, which some people have given no credibility...Well, HE was there, & several people have confirmed what he wrote in the comments section under the review & they were there as well.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Fair enough and I see your point in this. Heaven knows, I've complained about the argumentative way some present their opinions here enough myself.

I guess it's just human nature to think that if others don't agree with you that if you keep stating your opinion long enough, they will eventually agree. You'd think after all these years, I would know that doesn't work. Just ask my kids.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    There was no argument...I was just conveying what the guy in the article wrote, which some people have given no credibility...Well, HE was there, & several people have confirmed what he wrote in the comments section under the review & they were there as well.
    TK - I understand what you were trying to say and I don't believe you were intentionally trying to start an argument. But, you had already expressed your opinions and made your point more than a few times. I'm just trying to point out that there was no need to be overbearing by persisting to restate the same things that had already been stated, each time more adamantly than the last. That upsets some folks, and that's how discussions escalate into confrontations. That's the point I was trying to make, however, I apologize if I came across as snarky.

Now - I'll just make one last point your last comment. The reason that some folks have given the guy no credibility is because we don't know what information he was privy to. Just because he was there as an observer doesn't mean he was aware of what expectations were set for the contest winners. Additionally, by his own admission, he could have missed something. But, you and others have given that argument no credibility. It works both ways and sometimes no matter how many times or how many ways you say something, you aren't going to persuade the other side. As the saying goes "you gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em". Therefore, I am not going to continue to beat the poor dead horse either.

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Fair enough and I see your point in this. Heaven knows, I've complained about the argumentative way some present their opinions here enough myself.

I guess it's just human nature to think that if others don't agree with you that if you keep stating your opinion long enough, they will eventually agree. You'd think after all these years, I would know that doesn't work. Just ask my kids.
    Seriously! What the crap is wrong with kids anyway!

Out on the Border

Hey Guys. First post.. & a little late to the thread...

after a quick browse through this thread there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of people posting that were at this concert. I figured i'd shed a bit of positivity on the show.

I was there, I had VIP tickets, and personally, I thought the performance was excellent. It was everything I had expected from the band, given their age and I must say their voices are still fantastic, and seeing them live for the first time, given the conditions of the festival, was awesome.

Personally, the only thing that kind of put a damper on the show for me was when Don piped up after a song and said "I don't know if anyone stated the rules to you, but either the recording stops, or the concert stops." That sort of took the wind out of the sails for a few songs. When they came out on stage, everyone was so excited and happy, they seemed to forget about all of the issues surrounding the festival, then once he said that, everyone sort of looked at each other, confused and just said "okay".

The overall feeling from the band seemed a bit icy at first, but it seemed like they started to come around midway, making some jokes to the crowd (Joe and Glenn) and some chatter.

I'd like to shed some light in a different context of the circumstances between this unconfirmed rumour of a "mixup" between Windsor, Ontario, and Grand Falls-Windsor, Newfoundland.......

There is approximately a 2500 - 3000 kilometre drive (depending on the route you take) and a 5 hour ferry ride across the gulf of st lawrence to get to newfoundland from Toronto. If this was an oversight by management, I would definitely question their competence given the amount of money that is involved with this show ($1.2 million I do believe) and the logistics of bring the bands equipment this distance.

They knew exactly where they were going, i'm just not sure the band members themselves did. Think about it, they get on their plane, and the pilot takes them to the airport closest to their next gig.

The promoter from SRO was on the radio here describing his conversations with Irving, the bands requirements, requests (one of them being very interested in local foods and such) and had to deal with many things in order to get them to come here, and there were times when he thought the deal was off.

As for the reviewer (whom i've had personal experiences with)... is a bit arrogant- condescending even, because he's had a bit of local success in his band, (that doesn't exist anymore). it's just one of those things you need to be around to understand. Seems to be trying to make a name for himself locally.

This was an extremely complex day, given the conditions, and issues of the festival at the hands of the locals and promoter, he was obviously a bit soured that he didn't get what he was promised, and rightfully so. I would be to. His review made me feel a bit down about the experience as it seemed like they kind of shunned us newfoundlanders with the shorter setlist, the quick meet and greet, and so on, but upon doing a bit of research, like people have said, the meet and greet was standard for them, and they usually play shorter sets for festivals. Newfoundland doesn't usually attract many bands at this scale, and I guess whatever groups that have been here in the past, have been more willing to mingle and hang out.

The boys have paid their dues over the years, and they can do what they want really... regardless of what we think.

This turned out to be a lot longer than what I had originally intended.

I really enjoyed the music... the set flew by so fast. I was singing every song & getting lost in the music. It was awesome.

I would go see them again in a heart beat. And no matter what anyone says, everything else about the day is opinion, speculation, and the issues were out of the bands control. We paid the money to see the eagles, and they delivered.

Thanks for your review DF. It's nice to hear the facts from a fan who was there.

Oh, and welcome!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

DF - Thank you for taking the time to do a review! I appreciate your insight into the festival logistics. And it sounds like you had a good time!

WELCOME from me too! I hope you plan to stick around & check out the other threads.

HAVE FUN!!