Page 75 of 178 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985125175 ... LastLast

Thread: Every picture tells a story

Default Re: Every picture tells a story

Ruhroh Willie! Carbonite is a very legit company but it does sound like they are having troubles at the moment.

Forewarning: Backup lecture begins now!

I HIGHLY recommend to back up in no less than 3 places. In the cloud (ie Carbonite), on an external hard drive, and on a DVD/CD stored in a fireproof safe (for highly valuable documents/spreadsheets/photos). I'd really recommend picking up a 1TB USB external hard drive when you can. They go over USB and you can even set it up to back up itself or you can do it manually. I prefer the set it and forget it method for people that may not remember or don't have the time too and that's what I even do myself. You can get an external hard drive for around 70 bucks IIRC, and it's worth it. I have a couple of them here and they have saved me lots! Also USB thumbdrives are great for storing small files as well and for traveling.

At least you tried to backup! Most people yell at me when I tell them I have to wipe their hard drive because of a virus that I can't remove or a corrupted filesystem. They didn't back up AT ALL, and now are going to lose everything. Not my fault I say. I try to have SOME compassion but honestly it's their own fault for relying on a piece of fragile technology that can go kaput at any given moment to hold their important/precious/valuable/irreplaceable data. I work on computers here locally and also remotely and I see this all the time. I give them the same lecture I gave you, but for the people that don't back up at all I'm a little more stern!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I got some kind of a virus last week and since then have been backing up files like a madwoman. I have all the important stuff on an external hard drive but I'll look into this "cloud" business too - although I'm a little nervous about having all my private files hosted by a third party. Hmmm.

Good luck with the recovery mission, Willie - and love the new car!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Love your new truck Willie! I must say you are a very generous mummy! Mine bought me a (pedal) bike when I started in college! But I guess times have changed since then.

Yep, Austin, my old laptop broke down shortly after Christmas last year and luckily after doing a photography course earlier in the year I had invested in a 1TB backup device, so I lost very little which a friend was able to restore for me. But I shudder to think about all the family pics I would have lost forever if I hadn't.

Soda, in my innocence earlier I thought the 'virus' you were referring to was the sore throat and cold you complained about last week. Hope both you and the computer have recoved!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Willie!! WOW!! beautiful! Color me jealous! *G* It's a really pretty car and Im a ford girl through and through. Ive had a Ford Windstar for the past 12 years and it's given me a minimal of problems and its still going strong! Its starting to show its age and it smells like stale fries and sour milk, but it gets me from point A to point B with all my stuff and the kids et al.. (I make no ecuses I REALLY want a Ford Flex ~i need something big and just short of a semi to haul all my sales stuff around ~ and Im looking at this summer... possibly) but as long as the van runs, it's all good.

As far as the 'puter stuff goes, UGH! Im avoiding techno-crap as much as possible these days. I use my phone (android) and my puter and as long as it works, its all good. If it stops, I'll think about it again I can say, I have two external hard drives that hold most of my back up stuff, including 48 gigs of audio books and music et al. It's my back up

I'm still coughing, but getting better, I think.

As for that computer virus, though, no luck so far. I've tried all sorts of anti-virus programs and a system restore, but still it keeps returning.

Here's how the virus works: you do a search on Google, Bing, or any other search engine. Your list of results comes up as normal. However, when you click on a result, your browser is redirected to a spam page.

So, I can type in URLs directly and I'm OK, but if I try to search for anything, I just keep getting the same spam pages.

I'm going to have to take the computer in to purge it, I think, and that SUCKS.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Very nice car, TBF!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

VERY nice ride Willie, but I wouldn't want to fill up your gas tank!

We recently bought a new Honda Civic. Our Impala was paid for and we gave it to Chuck and Julie (long story). Hubby drives the Civic to work, about 40 miles one way, and I drive our little S10 pickup for my 1 mile commute!

Wish I had a pic of the new car (in keeping with the thread) but I don't.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    VERY nice ride Willie, but I wouldn't want to fill up your gas tank!

We recently bought a new Honda Civic. Our Impala was paid for and we gave it to Chuck and Julie (long story). Hubby drives the Civic to work, about 40 miles one way, and I drive our little S10 pickup for my 1 mile commute!
    Like us--Larry drives 45 miles one way and I work from home. He has a little 4WD Kia Sportage but it still doesn't get good gas mileage. The sensible thing would be a small, good gas mileage car for him but with our winters, we've always had 4WDs or at least AWDs, which is what our Pacifica is that Katie is using. And the fact that we are always doing auctions and antiquing, we haul a lot of stuff! When I've had my Mustangs, we've always stored them in the winter time.

As far as filling it up, I did that the day I brought it home out of curiosity. It had about an 1/8 of a tank and it took $54.00 to fill it up. Not as bad as I figured. As long as I'm the only one driving it, I will still have that gas at Christmas time. Just tool around town and a trip to my Mom's every weekend to work on the house. But I'm sure Larry will be taking it a day or 2 (maybe tomorrow since we're expecting several inches of snow this evening). I received a text from him a bit ago that said we were going 4 wheeling tonight. Boys will be boys and he can't wait to play in the snow with it.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Cool, thanks for the link!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)