Page 53 of 178 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Every picture tells a story

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Every picture tells a story

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    FP, You can tell a Tele from a Strat by looking at the headstock if the body of the guitar isn't clearly visible such as in that photo you posted. A Tele has a much smaller circular knob at the end. A Strat has a much larger knob and a sharper hard angle before the knob. Hard to describe, but if you go back and look at some of the pics that Austin has posted, you will clearly see what I'm talking about.
    Normally I can tell them apart; with that photo I didn't.

Strat:

Tele:

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Hope this helps!
    Yes, that helps when I'm looking at them side by side! I'm not really a visual person so struggle to remember that sort of detail

And BTW I stumbled upon The Border trying to find information on guitars played during Eagles concerts! (In particular, how many guitars was Joe playing because to my ignorant eyes it looked like something different on every song )

Okay, so my next question is, in your opinions which songs does Glenn particularly get to demonstrate his guitar playing on?
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesKiwi View Post
    Yes, that helps when I'm looking at them side by side! I'm not really a visual person so struggle to remember that sort of detail

And BTW I stumbled upon The Border trying to find information on guitars played during Eagles concerts! (In particular, how many guitars was Joe playing because to my ignorant eyes it looked like something different on every song )

Okay, so my next question is, in your opinions which songs does Glenn particularly get to demonstrate his guitar playing on?
    Good question. As far as electric lead guitar goes, it would have to be "Already Gone" and "Witchy Woman". Although Glenn no longer plays lead in Already Gone. You can see on the Farewell 1 DVD he just lets Joe and Steuart play an improvised solo and he doesn't play his solo. On the original recording and live up to the point of F1, he and Don Felder traded solos on Already Gone. This can easily be seen in videos of them from the 70s or the Christchurch NZ bootleg from the HFO tour. Glenn also plays the guitar solo in Witchy Woman and still does to my knowledge. As far as acoustic guitar, I'd have to say "New Kid In Town" and "Lyin' Eyes". The chord progressions in those are very unique and he has a unique way of playing them, especially in "Lyin' Eyes". I think those two really highlight his acoustic guitar playing the most. Just as I think "Already Gone" and "Witchy Woman" highlight his electric guitar playing the most. Just my opinion, though!

Thanks for that! I'll check them out
    Suzanne

Thanks for that! I'll check them out
    You're welcome.... Most of the Eagles guitars are so layered it's hard for most people to tell who's playing what. At risk of sounding cocky (but it's not! ), it's easier for me to tell that and know who is playing what because I'm a musician/guitarist myself. I can pick apart a song and put it into a Genre, classify it, label it, tell what key it is in, etc all by listen to it and I can usually also tell who is playing what part and what kind of guitars they played on it just by the sound!

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    You're welcome.... Most of the Eagles guitars are so layered it's hard for most people to tell who's playing what. At risk of sounding cocky (but it's not! ), it's easier for me to tell that and know who is playing what because I'm a musician/guitarist myself. I can pick apart a song and put it into a Genre, classify it, label it, tell what key it is in, etc all by listen to it and I can usually also tell who is playing what part and what kind of guitars they played on it just by the sound!

I, on the other hand, am totally musically challenged and can tell NONE of these things nor can I sing along in tune!! I just know what music I like!!

I'm relieved if I'm not the only one who can't identify who is playing what part on what instrument - and then even when I've just watched a DVD I can't remember the details! I feel really dumb when I read some of the threads on here, but at least I can comment on the lyrics and how the music makes me feel!

Thanks everyone who takes the time to answer the basic questions, even if I do end up asking the same questions over again!
    Suzanne

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I, on the other hand, am totally musically challenged and can tell NONE of these things nor can I sing along in tune!! I just know what music I like!!

I'm relieved if I'm not the only one who can't identify who is playing what part on what instrument - and then even when I've just watched a DVD I can't remember the details! I feel really dumb when I read some of the threads on here, but at least I can comment on the lyrics and how the music makes me feel!

Thanks everyone who takes the time to answer the basic questions, even if I do end up asking the same questions over again!
    EK - welcome to my world. Like you, the only thing I know about music is what my ears tell me!

But please don't feel dumb around here. We all learn new stuff all the time here. I sure didn't know the difference between a Strat and a Tele, so thanks for the lesson Mike and Austin. Another example is just this week, BBKron posted those two 70's Eagles' songs that most of us here had never heard about. So bottom line is - if you want to know something around here, please don't hesitate to ask!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Definitely don't feel dumb. There are a lot of things I don't know - but I try to share what knowledge I do have on the instrument with others here.

Ok so here is a quiz. What guitar am I playing in this photo?!

Also I have been playing bass here lately. There are two types of Fender basses - Precision and Jazz. This is a Jazz:

This is a Precision:

Randy Meisner played a Precision Bass on the BBC Eagles video and throughout most of the early days. Timothy B. Schmit however has played a Jazz Bass since joining the Eagles and still is his main bass today. I prefer the Jazz myself but would like to get a Precision at some point too.

The Precision Bass was Fender's first electric bass and really the first horizontal production electric bass. The Jazz bass came out later on and mainly in the 60s. The Precision has a more punchy, aggressive sound while the Jazz is more midrangey, smooth, and versatile IMO. Both are famous in rock n' roll and music history in general. Both have been used in the Eagles.