Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Center, Washington DC 7/22/13

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Verizon Center, Washington DC 7/22/13

Nanc - those pictures turned out pretty well.

And dang - it looks like we have almost the entire show video-taped. The interplay between Glenn and Joe before Funk 49 was really good at this show. They didn't do it in Louisville and I kind of missed it. But they made up for it in D.C. - they were really animated and funny.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    And dang - it looks like we have almost the entire show video-taped.
    Don's minions have been not doing a very good job. I kid, I kid.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Seriously - but ... let's don't tell them!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Was thinking about doing a review for this show and realized that my memories are intertwined with last night's show. I wish I'd taken my voice recorder with me so that I could have spoken my thoughts on this show as I drove to the next one, to help keep them straight, but I have no idea where it might be. So, I'll try really hard to keep the memories straight! It would be easier if they all wore different clothes each night...

First I'll say that the VIP dinner was pretty good. It was in a lounge in the Verizon Center, but...THERE WAS NO AIR CONDITIONING!!

Saturday Night was fantastic. I didn't give it much thought, but it hit me during the song that it was my two favorite voices ever, singing, just the two of them. I was in a state of bliss and stayed there for three hours. It's not my favorite song, of course, but if they sold that version of the song I'd buy it and probably listen to nothing else.

Bernie was great, coming out and sitting down. I can't remember all the dialogue, but after sitting down, Bernie reached under the seat and pulled out a blonde, curly wig and gave it a twirl. "I brought my hair." He mentioned it was Don's birthday, and that got a lot of applause. I like Train, and thought Bernie sounded great.

Like what was reported in other reviews, Timothy got a lot of applause throughout the evening.

At some point during the evening when Glenn was talking about the early days, he mentioned (as he did back in July of '0 about performing/getting their start at the Cellar Door in Georgetown. I wish I could remember the things he said and maybe PFD can shed some light as the hotel he mentioned in Georgetown is unfamiliar to me. I assume by the crowd reaction it wasn't a very nice hotel, and he got some sympathy for having to stay there.

I said it before, I'll say it again. Having OOTN, NKIT, and TS back in the setlist means I'll go to as many of these concerts as I can without bankrupting myself!! Hearing Glenn sing TS with the others doing the harmony was magical. I love the sound of Glenn's voice on this song.

The intro to OOTN makes my skin gooseflesh and I can't say enough how much I love that song. I sang along at first, but then just had to stop and take it in. Don had sung it at the solo show I went to, but it was great hearing him on the drums for it at this show, especially as my view of him didn't have cymbals in his face, and having Eagles' harmonies on it makes the song.

For NKIT, I couldn't really sing along at all. I just love how Glenn puts himself into this song. "Oh my my", that just slays me. Being so close to watch him sing it totally justified the cost of the ticket in my mind.

I thought Timothy's voice sounded great, and while I like LWKUA, ICTYW (in today's world of texting shortcuts, seems like that should be ICTUY) was uber fantastic.

Those Shoes. I like the song, I love the way Don sings it. However I'm not a fan of the talk box and so having two of them just didn't do it for me. I do, however, like the number of songs from Long Run. That album is tied with Desperado for the highest representation (5), since I don't count the canned version of Wasted Time (reprise) since it's not live.

They changed up the band intros and introduced Steuart just before Timothy, since he's a local guy. Of course he got a lot of applause. Glenn's joke about 'mother' being half a word fell flat, which came as a surprise. Perhaps because of their recent filing for bankruptcy? Glenn didn't do any dancing when he was intro'd.

It has occurred to me before, but it hit me again during LBG that it really is a theme song of sorts for me, and especially lately. So it was especially easy to sing along! Joe, of course, was Joe and a real crowd pleaser.

The 'dueling' guitars between Joe and Glenn at the beginning of Funk #49 was funny and great.

The last encore was just great. TIE is a great song and I'll never get tired of hearing it, and especially live. RMW was great, and Don did a fantastic job with Desperado. As Soda said, there were moments his voice sounded a little hoarse, but really, it was more of an added huskiness which really works with that song.

Some of you may remember some Borderers mentioning some women from Austria at Glenn's show in Niagra Falls in 2011, and then FP mentioning that Glenn sang TGFY for some women from Austria during one of his Australian shows earlier this year. They were sitting right in front of me, and we had a nice chat before the show and during intermission. As he was walking off stage, he thanked them for coming to the show. He is such a sweetheart!

Now I have to be completely shallow here for a moment and say that besides sounding fantastic, they all looked great, and even better, they all looked healthy and fit. We should start calling Joe 'Merlin' since he seems to be getting younger instead of older. My one complaint is the same complaint I've stated many times before, Glenn's shirts need to be shorter, and he could not possibly find higher-necked t-shirts if he tried. Fortunately, being in the front offers up some good angles! For the most part, though, I had to look at the handsome face all night long. And the great hair. Torture, I tell you. His vocals were great, they all were, and so I was a very happy and mostly overwhelmed Eagles fan.

All in all, I have to say, our guys are back better than ever, and anyone who has the opportunity to see this show should do just that. I can't do it justice to try and describe just how great of a show this was. Simply phenomenal.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Some of you may remember some Borderers mentioning some women from Austria at Glenn's show in Niagra Falls in 2011, and then FP mentioning that Glenn sang TGFY for some women from Austria during one of his Australian shows earlier this year. They were sitting right in front of me, and we had a nice chat before the show and during intermission. As he was walking off stage, he thanked them for coming to the show. He is such a sweetheart!
    Wow. Those women get around.

Thanks for the review.

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

OMG - it sounds & looks like the guys were on fire at this show!! I am so happy for all of you who were lucky enough to actually be there (and a little jealous - LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Wow. Those women get around.

Thanks for the review.
    They mentioned they'll be back for a show or two in the fall. They also said there were quite a few people from Austria that went to Australia to see his concert(s).
    VK

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

VA, thanks so much for your review! Sounds like a wonderful time!

So, these women from Austria...how many and how old? Inquiring minds!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    My one complaint is the same complaint I've stated many times before, Glenn's shirts need to be shorter, and he could not possibly find higher-necked t-shirts if he tried. Fortunately, being in the front offers up some good angles! For the most part, though, I had to look at the handsome face all night long. And the great hair. Torture, I tell you. His vocals were great, they all were, and so I was a very happy and mostly overwhelmed Eagles fan.
    So true. I assume he buys/wears bigger shirts so their roomy enough that air circulates on stage, and doesn't constrain whilst playing--the drawback is that the bigger hey are, they longer they are! Like smocks. I was happy to be spared the look in Milwaukee, and his t-shirts there were prett well-fitting in him, and I didn't notice them being too creeping-up-the-crewbeck! . The man could still carry off a v-neck. Not a creepy Ametican Apparel deep-v, but just a normal one, like Joe wears on occasion. And v-necks are simply more flattering for any issue you want to draw eye down and away from. I think they would make him look....leaner, if that makes any sense.

This is too much a fashion tangent!!! So happy you had a good time, and everyone was in good voice and spirits. And love that bit with Bernie and the wig.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    So, these women from Austria...how many and how old? Inquiring minds!
    Two, and I'm a really bad judge of these things. Clueless, really. Younger than me is all I can tell you. I'm sure I've seen them before, and I wasn't at the Fallsview show, I must have seen them at a previous Eagles show.
    VK