Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Question in "Try and Love Again"

Default Question on "Try and Love Again"

I have to say, I think "Try and Love Again" is my favorite Eagles song. Before I ever really had a sense of who the Eagles were and what they stood for musical history, I recall hearing it as a "deep cut" on the local classic rock station, and it was one of the first songs I bought off Rhapsody as a kid, before iTunes. For YEARS, it was the only Eagles' song I owned on my iPod. The structure of it just blows me away. I just love Randy's passion when signing it, and all the harmonies are so lush.

So two questions---one, did they ever perform it live, during Randy years? (If so, any existing performances to watch/hear, besides Randy's solo version of it in YT?)

Number two, during the main verses, is it Don or is it Glenn doing harmony with Randy? I always thought Don, but now I'm not so sure, the more I hear the guys singing other songs together...? And at the end (okay, so it was three questions!!) the "Gonna try, gonna try, gonna try..."--is that Randy and Don, or just Don and Glenn?
    Last edited by AEW21; 07-30-2013 at 11:41 PM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Question in "Try and Love Again"

AEW - I don't believe the band ever played the song live, and the liner notes do not list the backup vocalists on the song. I have no idea who is singing the backup harmonies, but it sounds like to me that it is a blend of both Don and Glenn's voices. There are parts where it definitely sounds like more than one back vocalist, but I'm guessing there are probably at least two vocalists on all of the harmony parts.

And for what it's worth, I love the song too and think it is very underrated.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

This is the only song off Hotel California they've never done live, presumably because of Randy's reluctance to be front and center and his subsequent exit from the band.

I'm not sure who's doing backing vocals. I suspect Dreamer might be right.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

The backing part on the word 'oh' before the chorus sounds very much like Glenn, or at least his voice is higher in the mix. The rest of it would be both Don & Glenn.

Thanks for all input, y'all. It does sound like a Don/Glenn blend signing underneath Randy. it is a fairly intricate song to sing live, I suppose, but golly, I wish they wold have attempted it at least once. . The ending would be spellbinding to see performed live on stage, all those layers of voices...and more great guitar interplay 'tween Joe and Felder. Maybe it was a song easier to perfect in studio using technical tomfoolery versus bring able to replicate live....?

I always thought perhaps it was a song they sorta hated, seeing how little it's ever mentioned. But they did use it fairly conspicuously in the doc, and Glenn was musical supervisor/director for it, wasn't he?

I think Randy did go on and sing it in his solo shows in the 80s, though the key does sound dropped in the YT audio version.

Stuck on the Border

Randy was on the verge of leaving the band when the song was released. Perhaps it was suggested that they include in the HC tour setlist & he outright refused. He left not long afterwards.

Border Rebel

I have seen "Try And Love Again" live in March of 1977 at two different shows at The Nassau Coliseum in Long Island, New York. This was right after HOTEL CALIFORNIA released and probably before Randy was ready to leave the band. I didn't see the Eagles again until 1980 and by then he was gone. What I can remember about it is that I was disappointed that Glenn didn't play lead guitar live as he did on the studio recording, instead playing the acoustic while I believe it was Felder who did the lead and Joe reprised his electric guitar part that he played on vinyl.

Wow - I stand corrected! They must have dropped it fairly quickly. You're very fortunate you got to hear it! Thanks for the info.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by scottside View Post
    I have seen "Try And Love Again" live in March of 1977 at two different shows at The Nassau Coliseum in Long Island, New York. This was right after HOTEL CALIFORNIA released and probably before Randy was ready to leave the band. I didn't see the Eagles again until 1980 and by then he was gone. What I can remember about it is that I was disappointed that Glenn didn't play lead guitar live as he did on the studio recording, instead playing the acoustic while I believe it was Felder who did the lead and Joe reprised his electric guitar part that he played on vinyl.
    Thank you so much for sharing this info--happy to know the song saw the light of day live a few times before they yanked it. I sort of thought it might have appeared a few times in the initial HC tour--must have proved to be too taxing to do live for some reason...?

And wow! To Glenn doing lead guitar on it--love the guitar on it. There seems to be a few songs over years that Glenn played lead on record, that Felder then subsequently did live on tour. Must have been for ease of transitions on stage, involving equipment and guitar-swapping and song line-up and such.

Thanks again for these tidbits!

Border Desperado GettheLeadonOut!!'s Avatar

One of my favorite songs and Glenn's solo is one of his very best, just exquisite. Shocked to hear that they did do it live, would love to hear a boot of that!
    High up on his own, the Eagle flies alone and he is free...