Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Question in "Try and Love Again"

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Question in "Try and Love Again"

Quote Originally Posted by scottside View Post
    I have seen "Try And Love Again" live in March of 1977 at two different shows at The Nassau Coliseum in Long Island, New York. This was right after HOTEL CALIFORNIA released and probably before Randy was ready to leave the band. I didn't see the Eagles again until 1980 and by then he was gone. What I can remember about it is that I was disappointed that Glenn didn't play lead guitar live as he did on the studio recording, instead playing the acoustic while I believe it was Felder who did the lead and Joe reprised his electric guitar part that he played on vinyl.
    Thank you for letting us know that scottside. However it does not surprise me at all that Glenn didn't play lead live. Once again he proved that he wasn't the egomaniac that some believe he was/is.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by AEW21 View Post
    Thank you so much for sharing this info--happy to know the song saw the light of day live a few times before they yanked it. I sort of thought it might have appeared a few times in the initial HC tour--must have proved to be too taxing to do live for some reason...?

And wow! To Glenn doing lead guitar on it--love the guitar on it. There seems to be a few songs over years that Glenn played lead on record, that Felder then subsequently did live on tour. Must have been for ease of transitions on stage, involving equipment and guitar-swapping and song line-up and such.

Thanks again for these tidbits!
    I stand by my original theory that Randy probably didn't want to do it & so it was dropped. I am not sure what is so complex about it.

As far as I am aware, but I may be wrong, the only songs Glenn played lead & Felder then played lead live were TALA & ICTYW. Glenn did not play lead very often. Once he had Walsh & Felder in the band he felt he didn't need to. Just as 'I sang less in the 70s. That was intentional; we had Don Henley'. My opinion of this is well known.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I stand by my original theory that Randy probably didn't want to do it & so it was dropped. I am not sure what is so complex about it.
    Look out FP, your snarkiness is showing again. What is so wrong with someone being curious about why a song was played a couple of times and dropped? Even you admit that yours is just a theory. Geesh.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Look out FP, your snarkiness is showing again. What is so wrong with someone being curious about why a song was played a couple of times and dropped? Even you admit that yours is just a theory. Geesh.
    I'm sorry; I meant I was not sure what is so complex about the song, not the question. AEW said she thought it must have been too taxing to do live & I couldn't see why. It just has layered guitar parts.

Don't worry, I took no offense, either way.

I guess I just meant it seems like a very dense song, musically, both vocally and insturment-wise. Lot of layering all-around. If it was too much of a pain to coordinate on-stage and do to the standard they have, I can see them thinking it not worth hassle. And you're probably right, FP, if Randy was already balking at singing TITTL, he perhaps wasn't in any mood to tackle T&LA either--- shame, because they're both beautiful showcases for his extraordinary range.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks Scottside for letting us know that the band did perform the song at least a few times - I'm glad to know that it isn't the only song on the HC album that was never done live. How I would have loved to see that Hotel California tour.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Thanks, scottside! I love these little bits of history about the band!

Stuck on the Border

So Glenn gave that solo away too? This makes me wonder...Don F "had to use" a double-neck guitar so that he could play both the 12-string acoustic part and the harmony guitar part live (talking about Hotel California). Why didn't Glenn just play that 12-string acoustic part (with a capo on the 7th fret) live? Instead Glenn played a 6-string acoustic part with a capo on the 2nd fret; a guitar part that isn't even in the record, except maybe in the choruses. If Glenn had played that main 12-string acoustic part live, it could've been heard throughout the song, and it would've even been an acoustic, like on the record.
    This is slightly off-topic, but I just don't get why Don didn't give that part (the Hotel 12-string) for Glenn to play when they did it live - or why Glenn didn't ask if he could play it. Don using a double-neck electric instead is about the same as Glenn having a guitar with him while sitting at the keyboard and playing the ICTYW solos when the time came.
    Last edited by chaim; 08-01-2013 at 03:02 AM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    So Glenn gave that solo away too? This makes me wonder...Don F "had to use" a double-neck guitar so that he could play both the 12-string acoustic part and the harmony guitar part live (talking about Hotel California). Why didn't Glenn just play that 12-string acoustic part (with a capo on the 7th fret) live? Instead Glenn played a 6-string acoustic part with a capo on the 2nd fret; a guitar part that isn't even in the record, except maybe in the choruses. If Glenn had played that main 12-string acoustic part live, it could've been heard throughout the song, and it would've even been an acoustic, like on the record.
    This is slightly off-topic, but I just don't get why Don didn't give that part for Glenn to play when they did it live (or why Glenn chose not to play it). Don using a double-neck electric instead is about the same as Glenn having a guitar with him while sitting at the keyboard and playing the ICTYW solos when the time came.
    It would have been Glenn's decision, not Felder's. As if Felder would say 'hey man, you played it on the record, play it live'. I suspect that yet again, it was a way of keeping Felder off his case. In any case, as it was dropped fairly quickly....

Glenn has always readily admitted Felder was the better guitarist; why not let Felder show his stuff? Glenn has never been a spotlight hog, despite the way some would like to depict him. Indeed, I think he goes too far the other way.

That's why I love that Glenn is playing more solos this tour!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten