Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Question in "Try and Love Again"

Default Re: Question in "Try and Love Again"

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Glenn has always readily admitted Felder was the better guitarist; why not let Felder show his stuff? Glenn has never been a spotlight hog, despite the way some would like to depict him. Indeed, I think he goes too far the other way.

That's why I love that Glenn is playing more solos this tour!
    Can't wait to see & hear him!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    It would have been Glenn's decision, not Felder's. As if Felder would say 'hey man, you played it on the record, play it live'. I suspect that yet again, it was a way of keeping Felder off his case. In any case, as it was dropped fairly quickly....
    My whole post was about Hotel California. Glenn gave some of his parts to Don so that they could play the songs better live. But when it came to Hotel California, instead of just giving one of the parts to Glenn, Don used a double-neck so that he could play both parts, with one (12-string) suddenly disappearing when the other part (harmony) starts. It seems that "giving parts away" worked only in one direction. But of course, it was Glenn who decided to give those solos away. Don didn't ask for them.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Glenn has always readily admitted Felder was the better guitarist; why not let Felder show his stuff? Glenn has never been a spotlight hog, despite the way some would like to depict him. Indeed, I think he goes too far the other way.

That's why I love that Glenn is playing more solos this tour!
    My reasoning was that wouldn't it be "best for the Eagles" if that 12-string part could be heard throughout the song and with an acoustic. Seems to me that they compromised a little by having it played on an electric and disappearing when the harmony parts starts. Glenn could have played it, as he was going to play an acoustic anyway.
    But maybe the reason was that Felder could "show his stuff", although it isn't a solo, but a rhythm part.

I see what you're saying, chaim, and it makes sense. I was trying to find a reason but as you said, it probably would be better to do it the other way.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I don't know anything about playing guitar, and maybe because of that I and many others who see HC performed live are in awe of the double neck. Could they maybe have done it just for that reason alone?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    My whole post was about Hotel California. Glenn gave some of his parts to Don so that they could play the songs better live. But when it came to Hotel California, instead of just giving one of the parts to Glenn, Don used a double-neck so that he could play both parts, with one (12-string) suddenly disappearing when the other part (harmony) starts. It seems that "giving parts away" worked only in one direction. But of course, it was Glenn who decided to give those solos away. Don didn't ask for them.
    The topic is about TALA so I thought you were talking about that.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    The topic is about TALA so I thought you were talking about that.
    I know. It was my mistake that I wasn't more clear. I edited that post.

Out on the Border

Someone asked who sang the harmony lead with Randy on Try and Love Again. I think it's Randy singing both parts.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Someone asked who sang the harmony lead with Randy on Try and Love Again. I think it's Randy singing both parts.
    In listening to this song probably at least 100+ times I believe you are 100% correct JohnW. I believe it's Randy doing lead and backup. Perhaps this is the reason for not playing it but for two concerts as mentioned. Some songs are mixed for studio only. IMO. But one of the best Eagles/Randy songs out there.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    In listening to this song probably at least 100+ times I believe you are 100% correct JohnW. I believe it's Randy doing lead and backup. Perhaps this is the reason for not playing it but for two concerts as mentioned. Some songs are mixed for studio only. IMO. But one of the best Eagles/Randy songs out there.
    As stated earlier in the thread you can hear Glenn clearly sing the word 'oh' before the title is sung.

I don't understand why if you have such great harmony singers they wouldn't be used. It has always sounded like Don & Glenn to me.