Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: History of the Eagles Live Disc Song Survivor Game

Border Desperado SoaringRockyMountainWay's Avatar

Default Re: History of the Eagles Live Disc Song Survivor Game

Lyin' Eyes
    People talking about us they got nothing else to do. When it all comes down we will still come through in the long run.

Out on the Border

hotel california

I'm not really paying much attention to how the guys look, but more to what is going on in the performance. The vocals of course are very important, but to me sometimes their actions onstage & how "into it" they are, for lack of a better term. Sometimes I feel the guys can be on "autopilot" & there is a lack of feeling in a performance. They are doing these same songs over & over again, like millions of times by now, that I guess that can be expected. This being a performance from the 70's, it was newer & maybe more energetic.

All considered, my vote again goes to LYIN' EYES

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Again, SoaringRockyMountainWay, our rule for this game is that players must be a member of the board in good standing for two weeks prior to the start of the game to be eligible to vote in the game. You are welcome to participate in the discussion, but please refrain from voting. We play these Survivor games periodically, so, hope you stick around to vote in our next game.

As far as the criteria I am using to vote for these performances – I am trying to look at the total package i.e. the vocals, the instrumentation, the amount of energy and passion the entire band puts into the performance, the crowd interaction, the band interaction, and, yes, even little nuances that may make the performance more interesting and enjoyable.

As far as Hotel California, many of you probably know how much I revere this song. I have said many times that I believe it to be one of the, if not the best and most influential songs in the history of rock and roll. Every single time I am at a show and hear the song, it moves me, mostly because it makes me appreciate how fortunate I am to be witness to one of the greatest bands in history performing one of the greatest songs in history. However, I will also say that I think because it is such an epic song, the band tries to pay homage to it by playing it to perfection. I truly appreciate that because I think it shows the respect and appreciation the band has for the song, and means we’ll never see a bad performance. But, I also think their intense focus may take away from some of the spontaneity that you see in some of their other performances and I can understand why some may view the performance as rather stiff. I just think a lot of folks prefer relaxed and loose in their rock and roll rather than technical perfection. So, I have to agree that it is not one of my favorite overall performances on the DVD in spite of my immense admiration for the song.

However, as usual, I am going to wait to cast my vote.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Troubadour

Out of interest what would the next Survivor be on? I searched back and seen you've done them for songs on albums and albums themselves - where do we go from here?

(One for the Farewell 1 DVD would be awesome, but would take about 5 years to complete )

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Out of interest what would the next Survivor be on? I searched back and seen you've done them for songs on albums and albums themselves - where do we go from here?

(One for the Farewell 1 DVD would be awesome, but would take about 5 years to complete )
    We have never done HFO or F1 video Survivors. I don't know if they are practical, particularly F1. If it were up to me I could easily participate in both.

We don't have set times for when we do them. It might be that because we have a lot of new members we might start from the beginning & do all the Eagles albums & then solo compilations but it is up to Soda when & what is done.

I was thinking a video Survivor on other DVDs would be fun if this one worked out. Dreamer helps me with these games and often suggests great ideas as well as reminding me to start one up when I lose track of how much time has passed since the last one!

Eventually, we'll redo older ones for the benefit of new members. I typically wait at least three years before doing a repeat, though.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

I'm gonna go for hotel california just for the fact its always there on any live dvd or cd in some way (I'm not complaining cos I LOVE! it! awesome song!) now i get that its their signature song but I feel that it makes things more interesting if its taken out of the equation 3 of my all time fave eagles songs left which at one time or another have been my fave eagles song

I vote for 'New kid in town'.

I vote Hotel California for the reasons I stated in the last round.