Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: History of the Eagles Live Disc Song Survivor Game

Default Re: History of the Eagles Live Disc Song Survivor Game

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Lyin' Eyes - again!

Really don't get all of the votes for HC, but oh well. It's without a doubt the best on the disc, AFAIC. I love Don and Joe's interaction and their wizardry on the guitar is shown in this song. I think that video of that song on that disc is the best thing they've put out in many years. So much better and different than the bootlegs. Much more realistic.
    Austin, I have to agree with you here. I think this performance of HC is amazing, and I don't understand how it is getting so many votes so early in this game, but
    I believe many do not want this song to win, so are voting it out now.

Survivor is a game of strategy & that is how it goes...

I think it is going to come down to 2 songs.

should I list them here or PM to someone to keep it honest?

I dont' want to influence anyone

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    It definitely isn't the full show. Perhaps they didn't like how the other songs turned out.
    Just as a point of interest here, I don't think that this DVD is taken just from one show. Last week when I watched it for the umpteenth time to prepare for this Survivor, I noticed that in one shot Glenn's hair was held right back off his face with his sunglasses & in the next shot some if his hair was loose & over his face. I thought at first that it must just be the angle of the camera & close-ups versus shots taken from farther away, but it changed from all the front part of his hair held back to much of it being loose throughout the song. When I watched it again today I looked more closely at this & it is evident in more than one of the songs. I noticed it first & it seems to be most evident in Lyin' Eyes.

Stuck on the Border

Oh gosh, please don't leave this thread believing all the females are voting based on how hot the guys looked during the performance. I can't speak for anyone else, but I laid out my reasons for voting for HC and it had nothing to do with that. If anyone cares, you can read them in this post.

When they show emotion like smiling or such, it does enhance the performance because it adds energy to it. I think a man would be able to appreciate higher energy as well as a woman. However, I'm certainly not going "there was a great shot of Glenn's butt during Lyin' Eyes, sure hope it wins!" Otherwise, RMW would have made it a lot further, lol.

If there is anyone basing their decisions on that, hey, it's up to them. Like I said, you can use any criteria you like. I just don't want Austin or anyone else to assume that all the women voting here don't look at the "musical aspect" because we're too busy drooling over the guys, and that's what drives all of our votes.

I'm not a feminist but I want to make that kind of thing clear because all too many men will misinterpret PM's statement as an affirmation of an insulting stereotype that the vast majority of female fans are shallow creatures whose appreciation of rock music is secondary to /dependent on whether or not they find the musician sexually desirable.
    I know, when I said "music aspect too", I meant along/in addition with everyone else. Not that no one else does. I just didn't let looks enter my mind. Just like when I see pics of the guys, I see guitars and microphones and drums... It's just what I focus on. It's fine, I'm not thinking anything like that.

I'm not a feminist but I want to make that kind of thing clear because all too many men will misinterpret PM's statement as an affirmation of an insulting stereotype that the vast majority of female fans are shallow creatures whose appreciation of rock music is secondary to /dependent on whether or not they find the musician sexually desirable.
    They way I look at it, their looks, then and now, are just an added bonus to some amazing music. No shame in that, and I have a feeling that they are well aware of that aspect of their appeal to their female fans.

The period this DVD was filmed is, to me anyway, pretty much them at the peak of their hotness. However, I have already voted off 2 Don songs, and he's my favorite, so that has very little to do with how I voted. It has been the performance of the songs, pure and simple. The 2 songs I am thinking will win/my last 2 off the island, aren't even my favorite Eagles songs, or sung by my favorite Eagle.

That said, it makes for pleasant viewing when trying to decide which performance is the best

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Before we get too far into the round I'd like put in a good word for Lyin Eyes.

I've probably mentioned somewhere here before that LE is not one of my favorite Eagles songs, and it's basically for the reasons WF has given; it's long and meandering, and I find myself losing interest after the first verse.

But in this performance they up the tempo, which for me helps tremendously in moving the song along. You wouldn't think that would make such a big difference, but for me it does. Also, performancewise, I love how Glenn looks up during the line and stares out at the stars up in the sky. And when they get to the my, oh my part and Don harmonizes the words with Glenn while the others harmonize with the ahhhs - that is absolutely beautiful.

I hope as we break down these performances during the game that you will put the disc in and watch it again to see what is being pointed out here. It might help you see something you missed before!
    By golly, it worked!!! I missed the vote over the weekend and expected to come in here & find LE gone but lo and behold it isn't.Unfortunately, one of my faves, BOML is but they all have to be eliminated sooner or later. I watched it again last night and really paid attention to what you had here and I must say, I noticed--especially the harmonizing bit and it is indeed more uptempo. I've always loved the song but I didn't care that much for this performance... until I paid more attention. So I've moved it on my list. I think this is a first for me.

As for HC, ---AUSTIN--read no further here --- It was on my list as my 3rd from the bottom but since I shifted LE up a bit, this became next. Again, I really watched it last night BUT it just still isn't doing much for me. As I've said in the past, not one of my fave Eagles tunes so I don't know if that is a huge factor or not but this performance seems to drag to me. I love Don's voice in it, as usual but is just seems lackluster. I've also been one that said I wanted them to go back to the original HC without the bells and whistles (or horns as we know them) but if this is what we get, I'm not sure.

I vote for Hotel California.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Border Rebel

I also cast my vote for "Hotel California."

Yes, please don't misunderstand. But when I mention in a post that I like it when Glenn looks up during the line in Lyin Eyes, and stares out at the stars up in the sky, I doubt very much that many guys even notice that, let alone include that kind of performance enhancement in their decision. That's all I meant by it. Again, it's not the only thing I'm judging on, but yeah, those kinds of things are considered.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    By golly, it worked!!! I missed the vote over the weekend and expected to come in here & find LE gone but lo and behold it isn't.Unfortunately, one of my faves, BOML is but they all have to be eliminated sooner or later. I watched it again last night and really paid attention to what you had here and I must say, I noticed--especially the harmonizing bit and it is indeed more uptempo. I've always loved the song but I didn't care that much for this performance... until I paid more attention. So I've moved it on my list. I think this is a first for me.
    Well, thank you TBF.

And when I posted that I hope you all will read what is noticed in a performance and that you will put the disc in and take a look at that part of it, I didn't mean just my assessments. I meant that for everybody's. If somebody points something out that I missed, I'm going to watch it again. It might not sway my vote, but then again, it just might!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Border Troubadour prayfordaylight's Avatar

Voting for Lyin' Eyes.
    -Ali

You can see the stars and still not see the light.