Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's Happening In Your Life?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Stuck on the Border

Default What's Happening In Your Life?

The previous thread reached 300 pages so off we go again.

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

Just dropping in to let you know that we got home a few hours ago. We're all exhausted, so I'm off to bed shortly, but will write more ASAP. We had an amazing holiday - I completely fell in love with Rhodes. I have a busy time ahead, starting from this weekend (family reunion/birthday party, followed by moving into my new house and preparing for my new job.) It's all go, so definitely back to reality with a bump... although it is exciting. Lots of changes. Have to admit I'm already planning my next trip abroad!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

glad you're home safe...can't wait to hear more about your trip!

Troub, it's so nice to hear from you, all safe and sound back home! I'm anxious to hear what it was about Rhodes that made you fall in love with it. Sleep first, though.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort
    For once something interesting in my life happened today.

Had the option of opening my exam results live on an (British based) international TV station. Turned it down. Way too attention seeking for my liking.

Odd to think though, tomorrow my face could have been seen the world over by millions on the most important day of my life so far...
    Lol TLR! For once something interesting happened in your life, you posted it and the thread was closed before anybody had a chance to comment!

Sorry, but that's funny.

It's okay, I moved it to the new thread!

That's so exciting that you were picked to be on a show like that! It's okay that you turned it down. Those things aren't for everyone. I hope you were pleased with your results!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Glad guy had such a great holiday Troub!

And TLR! Hope the results went well and that you are happy. Was it A-levels? Our school leaving results came out today as well.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Lol TLR! For once something interesting happened in your life, you posted it and the thread was closed before anybody had a chance to comment!

Sorry, but that's funny.

It's okay, I moved it to the new thread!

That's so exciting that you were picked to be on a show like that! It's okay that you turned it down. Those things aren't for everyone. I hope you were pleased with your results!
    I guess I should apologise, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Troub, it's so nice to hear from you, all safe and sound back home! I'm anxious to hear what it was about Rhodes that made you fall in love with it.
    Rhodes is just beautiful. Great beaches, pretty little towns, clear turquoise water and so much ancient history. The history is probably the thing that captured me most - I am a history freak and love nothing more than going to historical buildings/sites. The history of that island is incredible and stretches back further than most of us can even imagine... There is a carving of a shipwreck in the cliffs at the bottom of the acropolis at Lindos that dates all the way back to B.C.! It is just mindblowing. We had such a fantastic time. Mostly relaxing by the pool and on the beach, but we also wandered around the towns of Pefkos, Lindos and Rhodes and went on a Lazy Day boat cruise, during which we stopped at three different bays and were able to swim and snorkel in the clear waters there. I just loved every minute of it. One of the bays was at Lindos, right in the shadow of the acropolis. It was amazing swimming in the sea and looking up at the cliff with the ancient acropolis standing on top of it.

The tavernas were pretty and friendly, and served delicious Greek food... Even as a vegan, I was able to have a lot of local fare - olives, pita and houmous, Greek salad, grilled Mediterranean vegetables and fruit for dessert. The local produce (especially fruit and vegetables) is so delicious that the Greeks finish most meals with fruit, especially watermelon - it is often brought out as a complimentary dessert with your bill.

The Old Town of Rhodes is somewhere you must visit if you go there - it is a walled town built in the 14th century by the Knights of St. John, and is still very much in use along with the modern town. It's not just ruins, as you would expect. It's an integral part of the place. Lindos is beautiful, too - a small town nestled between the mountains and the sea. The acropolis towers over it, and its streets are small and crammed with shops and little tavernas and cafes. It was just all so romantic to me... I would go back there in a heartbeat. The weather was in the low 30's each day. Very hot, almost a little too hot to walk too far in the middle of the day, but perfect for lazing around the pool and swimming. The evenings were warm and we spent many of them sitting on the roof-terrace of a taverna, overlooking the sea on one side and the mountains on another.

I also discovered something cool... There was a villa right opposite our resort that we used to admire each night on our walk to Pefkos and joke about buying, because it had a For Sale sign on the gate. Well, a few days ago we found out who was selling it... only David freaking Gilmour! Apparently he comes to Rhodes a lot (unfortunately not when I was there!) We were able to take some pics of the villa, which I can post soon. It seems it has been empty for a while, as it needs some work doing to it. Still very cool to see where one of my musical heroes used to take his vacations!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Sounds absolutely wonderful Troub! I've enjoyed seeing your pictures on Fb too! They are beautiful!

I definitely think you should buy David Gilmour's villa! Then we could all come visit you!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post

I also discovered something cool... There was a villa right opposite our resort that we used to admire each night on our walk to Pefkos and joke about buying, because it had a For Sale sign on the gate. Well, a few days ago we found out who was selling it... only David freaking Gilmour! Apparently he comes to Rhodes a lot (unfortunately not when I was there!) We were able to take some pics of the villa, which I can post soon. It seems it has been empty for a while, as it needs some work doing to it. Still very cool to see where one of my musical heroes used to take his vacations!
    When I read your text about this, it was 4 am and hubby was getting ready for work. I read it to him and he asked if you were thinking of buying it so that we could lounge around by the pool that David probably lounged naked himself at. DORK!!!! But what a thought. Can't wait to see the pics.

So glad you had a great time. Sounds like a real dream vacation.
    He sings it high, he plays it low