Page 2 of 302 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Happening In Your Life?

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

TLR and PM, it is ironic, isn't it? In a thread like this, no matter where you break it to close it, it's never a good time! I swear this is the most active thread on the board, and it never seems to have a lull.

My things arrived from VA yesterday. I spent all day unpacking boxes while the movers kept piling them in. A coworker and friend surprised me by showing up in the afternoon to help and we worked flat out for over six hours. The only break we took is when our boss called us to tell us the customer is very upset with an issue that involves both of us, so today is not going to be a good one. We have to go into his office and explain some numbers this afternoon.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I guess I should apologise, then.
    No apology needed, FP. The thread reached page 300 and was closed, as is the norm. I just couldn't help but find humor in the way TLR's post was worded, only to have the thread closed immediately after posting it! I'm still chuckling.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Troub, glad you are back safe and sound!

Austin, glad you are feeling better!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Troub, it's so nice to hear from you, all safe and sound back home! I'm anxious to hear what it was about Rhodes that made you fall in love with it.
    Rhodes is just beautiful. Great beaches, pretty little towns, clear turquoise water and so much ancient history. The history is probably the thing that captured me most - I am a history freak and love nothing more than going to historical buildings/sites. The history of that island is incredible and stretches back further than most of us can even imagine... There is a carving of a shipwreck in the cliffs at the bottom of the acropolis at Lindos that dates all the way back to B.C.! It is just mindblowing. We had such a fantastic time. Mostly relaxing by the pool and on the beach, but we also wandered around the towns of Pefkos, Lindos and Rhodes and went on a Lazy Day boat cruise, during which we stopped at three different bays and were able to swim and snorkel in the clear waters there. I just loved every minute of it. One of the bays was at Lindos, right in the shadow of the acropolis. It was amazing swimming in the sea and looking up at the cliff with the ancient acropolis standing on top of it.

The tavernas were pretty and friendly, and served delicious Greek food... Even as a vegan, I was able to have a lot of local fare - olives, pita and houmous, Greek salad, grilled Mediterranean vegetables and fruit for dessert. The local produce (especially fruit and vegetables) is so delicious that the Greeks finish most meals with fruit, especially watermelon - it is often brought out as a complimentary dessert with your bill.

The Old Town of Rhodes is somewhere you must visit if you go there - it is a walled town built in the 14th century by the Knights of St. John, and is still very much in use along with the modern town. It's not just ruins, as you would expect. It's an integral part of the place. Lindos is beautiful, too - a small town nestled between the mountains and the sea. The acropolis towers over it, and its streets are small and crammed with shops and little tavernas and cafes. It was just all so romantic to me... I would go back there in a heartbeat. The weather was in the low 30's each day. Very hot, almost a little too hot to walk too far in the middle of the day, but perfect for lazing around the pool and swimming. The evenings were warm and we spent many of them sitting on the roof-terrace of a taverna, overlooking the sea on one side and the mountains on another.

I also discovered something cool... There was a villa right opposite our resort that we used to admire each night on our walk to Pefkos and joke about buying, because it had a For Sale sign on the gate. Well, a few days ago we found out who was selling it... only David freaking Gilmour! Apparently he comes to Rhodes a lot (unfortunately not when I was there!) We were able to take some pics of the villa, which I can post soon. It seems it has been empty for a while, as it needs some work doing to it. Still very cool to see where one of my musical heroes used to take his vacations!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Sounds absolutely wonderful Troub! I've enjoyed seeing your pictures on Fb too! They are beautiful!

I definitely think you should buy David Gilmour's villa! Then we could all come visit you!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Both from reading this and from some of the texts you sent, it sounds like you had a wonderful time Troub. And with just the right mix of R&R and activity. I'd love to do the snorkelling too! Looking forward to the pics!

And welcome back!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

School has started again. The kids came back on Wed. Probably limit my time here.

I have already told my students that I will be absent October 8th after the concert we are staying in a hotel just a block or two away from the arena.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

At least you can tell them that SC. I will be saying nothing about my absence on the 8th November. And I'll be praying that flights home on the Sunday night run on time.

I'm gonna be a tired little Bunny on the Monday morning but it will have been soooooo worth it!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Troub, your description of Rhodes is wonderful! Of course, I followed your every status on FB, and appreciated the updates. Maybe you'll go back someday!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    At least you can tell them that SC. I will be saying nothing about my absence on the 8th November. And I'll be praying that flights home on the Sunday night run on time.

I'm gonna be a tired little Bunny on the Monday morning but it will have been soooooo worth it!
    You need to be tired on Monday, so you still look 'sick'.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.