Page 302 of 302 FirstFirst ... 202252292298299300301302
Results 3,011 to 3,014 of 3014

Thread: What's Happening In Your Life?

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    He's not worth it then. I would quietly try to get him in trouble, but that's just me.
    Wait until you've finished the class and he has no power over you. (Most academics, of which I am one, will be fine with criticism expressed politely and privately but more, uh, unusual academics might not be.) Then raise it with him directly, preferably as a group so that it's obviously not just one person's opinion.

Or: if you have a class representative, send the criticism through the representative anonymously through the representative. This method has the advantage of possibly improving things before the course ends.

Or: If there are other lecturers in your department whom you trust, you could raise it with them. They'll know how the system works where you are and be able to advise you.

How do things work in the US concerning student unions? Do you have one?

AG95 can try and get him into trouble, but perhaps the best strategy is to try to improve the situation so that other students don't suffer the same as you do. I'm not trying, as an academic, trying to avoid another academic getting into trouble. If an academic receives negative (but properly presented) feedback consistently but doesn't do anything about it, that'll get him/her in deep trouble in the long run. Sometimes students trying to get academics in trouble (e.g. asking me directly 'how can we get an academic fired?') will be counter-productive, as the negative feedback may not be given so much weight due to the way it is presented.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Maybe it varies by state but at my college we get a survey at the end of each class whether we take it on campus or online. It's somewhat required by the college to see how the various professors are doing but you don't have to fill it out if you don't want to even though it's anonymous. But hope it does get better for you.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buffyfan145 View Post
    Maybe it varies by state but at my college we get a survey at the end of each class whether we take it on campus or online. It's somewhat required by the college to see how the various professors are doing but you don't have to fill it out if you don't want to even though it's anonymous. But hope it does get better for you.
    That's fairly standard here in the UK too. But generally, here, that will feed back to the lecturer alone. In a case where the lecturer is the problem and may not view him/herself as the problem (or otherwise not take criticism onboard), then it may be necessary to look into other approaches. Even talking to another member of staff whom AG95 trusts may make a big difference. I've seen people react very differently to criticism relayed through a peer, than something directly from the students. If, in the US, these surveys are viewed by people further up in the management structure in the US, then that may make a bigger difference.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

That's interesting about the UK. Here the surveys can't even be handled or seen by the professor of the class. For the traditional classes they have to make sure one of the other staff members hands them out to students and then a student will turn them into the faculty office. The online ones get sent to us through an email link.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."