Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: In the Studio...

Default In the Studio...

I don't know if it's been discussed before but I'd like to know more about the more technical side of their records... does anybody know anything about that or can point me in the right direction?

All I know is what I've read on Felder's book, about them doing take after take after take of the guitar solos and the vocal parts until they were virtually flawless, etc., but I'm sure there's a lot more to be discovered, such as:

* How did they synchronise? Did they use a live backing track as guide (like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, etc.) or did they use a click track?

* Did they always record backing vocals in a way that could be reproduced on stage and, if so, does it mean they stayed away from the 'self-backing-vocalist' trick?

* Anything related to session musicians (orchestras and the such) and the way they recorded with them, who took care of that, etc.

I appreciate anyone who can give me a hand with *any* of that

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: In the Studio...

Sebastian - I am far from being a 'techie' so I can't shed any light on most any of this. There isn't a lot of info available that I can recall in terms of interviews from the band that addresses your questions either.

If I had to guess, I'd wouldn't be surprised if there were occasions where they used the self-backing vocalist technique in songs with very full harmonies. But, who knows.

The only thing I know of regarding session musicians is what is listed on the credits for each album.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    If I had to guess, I'd wouldn't be surprised if there were occasions where they used the self-backing vocalist technique in songs with very full harmonies.
    And which songs would those be? I suspect maybe 'The Last Resort' and, generally those with big 'oooh's and 'aaaah's in the background (another one could be 'Desperado', of course). Any other idea?

Stuck on the Border

The closest I've found is Glenn talking about the recording of his first solo album in detail. You may be able to glean something about the Eagles from what he says he's done differently when solo.
    http://tttan.com/HT/boards/P.hunterk...233799394.html

No clue, other than I can pretty much tell you the exact guitar rig for every song, especially On The Border and forward for Felder and Walsh's rigs. There isn't much out there on Bernie's gear other than just the Tele's he played.

Already Gone - Glenn used his Old Black Gibson Les Paul Jr, and a Fender Nonreverb Blackface Deluxe which he still uses live. Don Felder played a Gibson Les Paul Jr (according to Felder, it might have even been Glenn's since I never seen Felder with a LP Jr) into the same Blackface Deluxe which has a Vox Silver Bell speaker in it.

One Of These Nights - Don Felder used a Gibson Les Paul Standard (from '59) into a mid 50's Fender Deluxe Tweed amp straight in and cranked loud and proud. Not sure about Glenn's rig but since Old Black was still in use, maybe that but that is just a guess.

Hotel California - Don Felder used a Martin 12-string with a DeArmond soundhole pickup into a leslie and EMT units for the acoustic parts. Don used the same '59 Les Paul as on OOTN for Hotel, with the same 50s Fender Deluxe. He used a BOSS Chorus and Echo units and that was it. No other pedals or amps. Glenn used a Takamine 12-string for his acoustic parts. Joe Walsh used a 70s Fender Telecaster into a Tweed Deluxe as well, with an MXR Phase 90 for some phase effect, which is really subtle but audible with headphones.

Life In The Fast Lane - Joe Walsh used a 50s Fender Stratocaster into a Fender Deluxe again. Don Felder used the 59 Les Paul into a Deluxe as well. (Seeing a pattern here?)

The Long Run - Joe Walsh used a Les Paul into a Roland Micro Cube (of all things!) for slide on The Long Run as well as Heartache Tonight. Don Felder used a Les Paul (not sure if it was his '59) into a Blackface Fender for his parts. Glenn used a 70s Telecaster modified with a humbucker in the neck position into a Fender Tweed for his rhythm part.

I Can't Tell You Why - Glenn Frey used a Gibson 335 into his Blackface Deluxe for the solo in ICTYW. Not sure about Joe and Felder.

Those are just the main songs, if there is a song in particular you'd want to know, I can search my documents and see if there is info on it. A lot of it comes from interviews and pictures.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 08-20-2013 at 04:50 AM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Thanks, that's great. What about basses, drums and keyboards? I suppose for piano, they'd play whatever was available in the studios, which would be a Steinway at Olympic and a Yamaha at the Record Plant.

When Randy was in the band it was mainly Fender Precision Basses, and a couple other cool basses like Rickenbackers and such.

With Timothy it's always been Fender Jazz Basses for the studio. It's of my opinion that they are 100 percent more versatile and you can make a Jazz sound like a Precision, but not the other way around. P Basses are one trick ponies. They have a lot of punch and real straightforward sound, the J Basses are more sculpt-able and can sound a bit more mild, for lack of a better word. So he could get Randy's Precision bass tone plus have a new sound for Long Run and forward.

I'm not a bass player, but I keep a Fender Jazz around for jamming whenever people come into my little guitar studio and sometimes I play it, it's fun.

Not a clue on other instruments. Sorry, I'm just a rock n' roll guitar player.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I haven't been on here for several days and I just want to say, Austin--you're freaking me out with the Glenn avi! I keep having to scroll back up to see who it is because I'm just not use to you being associated with a Glenn avi.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    I haven't been on here for several days and I just want to say, Austin--you're freaking me out with the Glenn avi! I keep having to scroll back up to see who it is because I'm just not use to you being associated with a Glenn avi.
    Hahaha... 9 times out of 10 I pick an av because of the guitar in it. This was the case. I love that Sunburst Gibson 330 of his.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    Thank you for the prompt reply.

And which songs would those be? I suspect maybe 'The Last Resort' and, generally those with big 'oooh's and 'aaaah's in the background (another one could be 'Desperado', of course). Any other idea?
    I really don't know anything for sure, but, if I have to guess, a few likely choices could be Witchy Woman, Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise, or One of These Nights.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016