Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: In the Studio...

Default Re: In the Studio...

Here's my (temporary) breakdown of Hotel California:

Basic track: drums, bass and twelve-string rhythm (by Felder, I reckon).

Guitar overdubs:

• Another twelve-string electric (doubling the first one), most lilely by Felder although it could've also been Joe... or Glenn... but most likely Felder.
    • Felder's acoustic on the second part of the intro: bass-doubling and some arpeggios. Definitely his style.
    • Glenn's acoustic: strummed chords from the first chorus onwards. He double-tracked it from the fourth verse onwards.
    • The reggae staccatos, which reportedly Glenn recorded at first but then Joe replaced.
    • A clean Strat (or maybe Tele) doubling the bass one octave higher at some points. Most likely Felder.
    • A two-part harmony playing throughout. Possibly Felder played both (Don and Joe would do it on stage for practical reasons).
    • Another two-part harmony, entering on the fourth verse and playing some antiphonies with the previous one. Felder did both IMO.
    • Don Felder's lead, playing some licks (e.g. on the secod chorus) and then the famous solo.
    • Joe's lead, doing the second part of the solo and then harmonising with Felder's lead.

All of that means the original recording has thirteen guitars (or perhaps even more if the harmonies were double-tracked to give them a fatter sound, in which case there are seventeen guitars), of which Glenn and Joe played two each, and Felder did the rest.

There are also some keyboards: an organ and a piano, both playing softly in the background. The piano's a bit more noticeable on the first verse (just when Don sings 'hair') and on the fourth (when Don sings 'night'). I'd suppose Glenn played both, but it could've been virtually anyone in the group... most likely, whoever came up with the idea of adding them... but most likely Glenn considering his story of ever so subtly overdubbing keyboards. Those two overdubs aren't too noticeable but if you take them out the song loses some of its magic.

Despite what happened on stage, harmonies didn't include Joe or Felder at all. Choruses are Randy and Glenn (plus Don's lead of course) and the 'and still thsoe voices are calling from far away' line is just Don + Don (so yeah, they did do self-backing vocalist).
    Last edited by Sebastian; 08-26-2013 at 11:00 AM.

Stuck on the Border

How can you tell that 'and still those voices' is just Don? Why would you harmonise with yourself when you have these other great harmony singers? I always thought it was Glenn harmonising there.

There are some multitracks in the i-net where you can listen to just the bass, just the drums, just the vocals, etc. I listened closely and am 99% sure it's Don + Don. Live, it'd be a different story, of course. As for why he did it, it could be that he wanted that kind of sound or that he sang it better than the others. It's quite a tough range, that backing vocal, as it's quite high and not what an amateur singer would do. Glenn's not an amateur by any stretch, and his voice on that song is fantastic (the four lines he sings, but four great lines, same for Randy) but on that particular bit Don sounds better IMO, just like Don doing New Kid in Town or Girl from Yesterday wouldn't make as much sense as having Glenn on them.

Stuck on the Border

If Glenn is able to sing that part live, which he does, then I can't see why he wouldn't have done it in the studio; sorry. You seem to have more technical knowledge than I do but I can't see that much difference between singing it the studio & singing it live. Perhaps if you could give me a link to this multitrack I could listen for myself.

Please post the isolated tracks I'd love to hear the vocals by themselves and the piano and organ

Me too.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

What's the legality of that? I'm honestly asking, I don't know the rules of regulations of the forum regarding mp3 and all that.

Edit: BTW, AFAIR, Glenn sings a different part live, one that's not on the record. Don's backing vocal (the high one) is done by Randy or Tim live. I'm absolutely sure Glenn (and by extension Randy and perhaps even the guitarists) could sing the line in question, but maybe Don was the one who did the best take of it. The Don+Don combo there sounds fantastic.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'm not familiar with the site, but unless I'm missing something, if you don't want to post the mp3s, then I don't think it would be a problem to link to them.

I'd like to hear more about this too. I always assumed the back-up harmonies for the "and still those voices ..." line on the studio version were Randy and Glenn. However, it certainly is possible that it's Don doing the self-backing thing. Even though we can't know for sure, it would be fun to listen and speculate about it.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

No luck with these links. Can you fix them?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten