Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vocal Ranges

Default Vocal Ranges

Well ... that's self-explanatory, a thread to discuss how high and how low each of the seven Eagles could/can sing.

Edit: I'll post some of the impressive high or low notes I've found so far.

One of These Nights: Don peaks on a 783.991-Hz g", Randy peaks on a 987.767-Hz b". Live (NZ, '95), Don peaked on a 659.255-Hz e" and Tim peaked on a 587.330-Hz d" (he sang a fourth lower than Randy had on the record), which makes it one of the few occasions of Don actually singing higher than Tim on the same song.

Take It to the Limit: Randy peaks on 830.609-Hz g#" in the album version. Live (Houston '77) he reproduced it and did it even better than on the record. Glenn's version from Vegas (19th November 2011) changes the key to G, which makes it far easier to sing, and even then Glenn doesn't get to the high notes, he peaks on a 391.995-Hz g'.
    Last edited by Sebastian; 08-19-2013 at 03:08 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Vocal Ranges

To be fair to Glenn he has never tried those high notes in TITTL.

I am impressed with your technical knowledge but I'm afraid I can't comment further on this basis.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Here is my super non-technical analysis of how high they can sing, from someone who has no musical education: they are all tenors. Randy can sing the highest. Timothy is next. Don can sing in falsetto, but I would not consider this his normal "range". Timothy's highest notes are actually in his range - not falsetto. I'm not sure if Randy's highest notes would be considered falsetto. Joe is next, then Bernie and Glenn and Felder are all sort of the same. Experts, feel free to correct me!

As far as how many octaves they can cover - no idea. I would guess in their prime, Randy and Tim could go very high and somewhat low. They all seem to sing in a pretty narrow range...

I would certainly enjoy hearing some expert, technical analysis of their voices, though! In HOTE Glenn says regarding Joe potentially replacing Bernie, "Might lose something in the vocals..." but I think Joe has a really interesting voice that is very strong. But, who knows, maybe an opera instructor would think it sucks.

Stuck on the Border

I should point out that Glenn can sing falsetto too but he only does it in solo songs. I would say that his range is still quite wide having heard After Hours, but when he does harmonies with the Eagles he seems to do the lower parts.

Sebastian - How can you identify Timothy's vocals on OOTN - I just watched the NZ video, every time he sings, Joe and Glenn sing, too. How do you have his feed?

*tries...to...end...post...without...noting...how. ..fine...TBS...looks...in...this... show...but...can't...*

They're harmonising. Not having a piano or the song handy right now, I'll just rely on memory: I think Tim's singing a d", Glenn's singing a b' and Joe's singing an e', so together they form the E5-7 chord.

When they did it with Randy (at least in the studio version), Randy sang a g", Glenn sang the same b' and Bernie sang the e' that Joe would do decades later. They spelt an Em chord (the seventh would be given by the guitars instead of the vocals, IIRC).

I'll double check when I've got the recordings and an instrument near me (I don't have perfect pitch, so I need some device to help me find out the exact note each person's singing).

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Sebastian - How can you identify Timothy's vocals on OOTN - I just watched the NZ video, every time he sings, Joe and Glenn sing, too. How do you have his feed?

*tries...to...end...post...without...noting...how. ..fine...TBS...looks...in...this... show...but...can't...*
    LOL, MC! I'm watching the NZ video as I am reading this.

C'mon GL, tell me I'm right!

Sebastian, what I meant was, not how to identify their voices - most of us on here can do that - but on the more technical side, how does your magic hZ machine measure just the one voice during the harmonies??? Does it have to do with DTS surround sound 5 speakers that is a much-discussed topic around here? Thanks!

Here is my super non-technical analysis of how high they can sing, from someone who has no musical education: they are all tenors. Randy can sing the highest. Timothy is next. Don can sing in falsetto, but I would not consider this his normal "range". Timothy's highest notes are actually in his range - not falsetto. I'm not sure if Randy's highest notes would be considered falsetto. Joe is next, then Bernie and Glenn and Felder are all sort of the same. Experts, feel free to correct me!

As far as how many octaves they can cover - no idea. I would guess in their prime, Randy and Tim could go very high and somewhat low. They all seem to sing in a pretty narrow range...

I would certainly enjoy hearing some expert, technical analysis of their voices, though! In HOTE Glenn says regarding Joe potentially replacing Bernie, "Might lose something in the vocals..." but I think Joe has a really interesting voice that is very strong. But, who knows, maybe an opera instructor would think it sucks.
    I would have guessed Timothy to be an Alto rather than a tenor - but I stress, it's only a guess.

how does your magic hZ machine measure just the one voice during the harmonies?
    No, I just identify the pitch, and each pitch has a unique frequency (assuming they're playing in standard 440, which they are), so middle C's always 261.626-Hz, and the C above it (tenor C) is twice as much, i.e., 523.251-Hz, and then soprano C is 1,046.50. A above middle C is 440, and if you lower an octave then it's 220, then 110, then 55, etc.

I use the notation of c' as middle C, then if we go higher it'd be c#', d', d#', e', f', f#', g', g#', a', bb', b' and then the next octave would be c", c#", d", etc. If we start on middle C or c' and go down then you get b, bb, a... until you get to c, then B and then Bb and so on.

That's one of the few things in music which can be mathematically measured.