Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vocal Ranges

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Vocal Ranges

Quote Originally Posted by StephUK View Post
    I would have guessed Timothy to be an Alto rather than a tenor - but I stress, it's only a guess.
    That would be calling him a countertenor, and his voice is high, but not that high.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alto

I want to officially revive this thread. So lately I have been working on my vocals but am nowhere near to be comfortable recording it. My vocal range so far is mainly with Glenn's. Like the lowest I can sing right now is most likely the harmonies on Hote Califronia. But I usually pick out Glenn's vocals on Seven Bridges road.

I can also sing the verses to Take It To The Limit with very difficulty and I can not sing I can't tell you why. But most likely straining on the High Notes for New Kid.

It is amazing how these guys could hit the key with consistency.

I think Timmothy has a higher range then Randy

Stuck on the Border

A good song for hearing Randy's range is "Take the Devil". For most of the song, he's singing fairly low (for Randy) but from about 2:20 to 2:35 he goes up the scale. He may sing higher in other songs but this shows how he could get up there without a break, pther than a slight shift in the middle.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

There's a guy on YouTube who goes real technical with this stuff - I'll post an example he did of Carl Wilson (angel-voiced Beach Boy guitarist) with song samples from Carl's low range to highest. It's pretty cool if you're into that sort of thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQHBBn8PJyw

He's done a few people so far - Sinatra, McCartney. I imagine it's a considerable amount of work. It would be fun to do Randy! To calculate his vocal range I mean. What did you think I meant?

NMB....

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

We seriously need some more guys on this board lol.

On topic. I always love hearing the base part on 7BR. Felder sounds like James Earl Jones

The very first post on this thread shows someone went through the trouble of measuring vocal pitch frequencies (my emphasis added):

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    Well ... that's self-explanatory, a thread to discuss how high and how low each of the seven Eagles could/can sing.

Edit: I'll post some of the impressive high or low notes I've found so far.

One of These Nights: Don peaks on a 783.991-Hz g", Randy peaks on a 987.767-Hz b." Live (NZ, '95), Don peaked on a 659.255-Hz e" and Tim peaked on a 587.330- Hz d" (he sang a fourth lower than Randy had on the record), which makes it one of the few occasions of Don actually singing higher than Tim on the same song.

Take It to the Limit: Randy peaks on 830.609-Hz g#" in the album
    version. Live (Houston '77) he reproduced it and did it even better than on the record.
    I added the bold about Don b/c he also has a high vocal range, which explains those great falsettos. Randy and Timothy's high notes are not falsetto, however, at least not to my ears.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Delilah, do you have a frequency analyzer?

Here is Randy's high note in Take It to the Limit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok_8BpbdCZ4

Oh shoot, my garage door just went up.

No, I wouldn't know how to work one if I did! I guess I could dig up my old physics textbooks.

Wow, that's amazing--to think Randy hit that note live, not just for a single beat, but held it! Thanks for the link.

Border Desperado

This is so cool. Can u break down 7 Bridges Road? Somebody had separated the voices on You Tibe but Irving ( I guess) blocked it. It wasn't even a live video!! Grrrr!!