Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your favourite snippet of Eagles music

Default Re: Your favourite snippet of Eagles music

oh it changes every few days. Love Randy's bass at the end on Midnight flyer

When Don goes Umm Shoes on Those Shoes

Timothy on all his songs

The harmony on Bitter Creek

I could go on and on

Border Troubadour

Needed somewhere to stick this. It might sound a bit gushing but it's all true for me:

The studio version of TIE has never been my favourite song by the guys (I looooooove it live however), however there's always been one line in it I've adored and I can now say (after hours of listening to others) it is my favourite song lyric ever...

Well I'm standing on the corner in Winslow, Arizona, and such a fine sight to see:
    It's a girl my lord in a flatbed Ford slowin' down to take a look at me

It's not the greatest line ever written but it's one of very few I'll ever rewind and play over and over again. To think half of that was one of, if not the, first Eagles line Glenn ever penned is amazing. I also love the way that since 1972 Glenn has nearly always looked at Randy / Tim and vice versa whilst singing it.
    Such is its impact on me that to stand on that corner in Winslow, Arizona is the only thing on my bucket list. That may sound odd, but in all honesty that's how much that line means to me.

You are not the only one who likes that line. TIE is my go to song if I am in an Eagles mood. You are right that the live version seems better. That and HC. I love the "Winslow Arizona" line. It is pure Eagles and so interesting that I found out last year after watching HOTE exactly how it came to be written.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I always liked those lines, even when I was little, I guess it's just good songwriting, along with the other songs on Their Greatest Hits, and that's why the album was so successful - I think those two lines have a lot to do with it. I love Glenn's voice when he sings it, with that twang, and I wish I had some headphones or something where I could hear Timothy's voice separately, his voice sounds so strong and great from what I can hear when it blends with Glenn's and I think he sings with a twang, too.

The other line that always stood out to me is "and then you'll have to eat your lunch all by yourself." I was always like, "yeah!!" So great. [I listened to that song for decades and never knew who was singing it. I just knew it was the Eagles, and was always confused by who was in the band ]

I will be with you everywhere you go,
    In gentle breezes that caress you skin,
    And you will see me in the silent snow,
    In everything that comes around again.
    ...Center of the Universe

But all the knowledge in the world is of no use to fools.
    ...Long Road Out of Eden - I love the depth of that lyric and Don's delivery.
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Wow - I would probably cover about 90% of all Eagles songs if I listed all of my favorite snippets, but I'll restrain myself. For now, another favorite is from the last lines in Wasted Time ...

"So you can get on with your search, baby and I can get on with mine ... And maybe someday we will find that it wasn't really wasted time."

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I love the intro to OOTN...and the line "we're gonna find out pretty mama what turns on your lights"...wow...that gets me...

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I'm with ya on that one, Z.

Another favorite is from After The Thrill is Gone:
    Same dances in the same old shoes
    You get too careful with the steps you choose
    You don't care about winning but you don't want to lose

I was in a relationship like that and it was definitely Wasted Time. I've found that when I'm doing anything or with someone and I start singing those lines for no reason, it's a big clue. Not to mention, I think it sums up my Penguins run at the playoffs this season! They didn't play to win, they played to not lose. So of course they did.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I'm with ya on that one, Z.

Another favorite is from After The Thrill is Gone:
    Same dances in the same old shoes
    You get too careful with the steps you choose
    You don't care about winning but you don't want to lose

I was in a relationship like that and it was definitely Wasted Time. I've found that when I'm doing anything or with someone and I start singing those lines for no reason, it's a big clue. Not to mention, I think it sums up my Penguins run at the playoffs this season! They didn't play to win, they played to not lose. So of course they did.
    our whole Sabres season was "Wasted Time"...and by the end...I was saying "I Don't Want To Hear Anymore"...ha

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I've been thinking for about some of my favourite Eagles musical snippets and I've come up with twenty-five personal favourites across five distinct categories, with five for each:

Guitar solos
    - The end of Hotel California where Don and Joe are soloing together after playing their separate parts.
    - The second guitar solo of Take The Devil, I love the moment where it really takes off, I don't understand enough to describe this accurately musically unfortunately.
    - The intro solo for James Dean, it bursts out of the blocks and is just a great guitar sound.
    - The short but perfectly formed solo on PMAIAR, exactly what the song needed. I wouldn't change anything about it (although if playing on my iPod I often repeat it).
    - The beginning of the final ICTYW solo, I love the licks that Glenn plays there.

Musical (not guitar solos)
    - The opening guitar chords of Take It Easy. When I first heard this I knew a great song was about to start.
    - Randy's bass playing during the middle section of Too Many Hands after the second chorus.
    - The keyboard part that appears on the third verse of Good Day In Hell, I have never seen this discussed but I think it adds a lot to the song and adds to its raucousness.
    - The rhythm section in the intro to Those Shoes, both the bass and drums are essential to that song and they are highlighted at the start.
    - The electric guitar part in The Sad Café during the 'glory train' verse - I notice that Joe has a writing credit for this song, was it for this? If so, please thank him, it's great and captures the nostalgic feel of the song.

Lead vocals
    - Don Henley's singing of 'He had a nasty reputation as a cruel dude' in LITFL, especially the way he sings the word cruel which is one of my favourite inflections in any song.
    - Glenn singing 'You bought it sight unseen' for the second time in James Dean, I really like it when sings in that style and that one stands out to me.
    - The entire coda of Take It To The Limit, Randy's vocal performance is incredible there.
    - Don's singing on the intro to the Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise), it really sets the scene for the Desperado album closer.
    - Bernie's lead vocal on the choruses of My Man - he has help from the others, but his voice stands out as it should given that it is his personal tribute (I believe it's to Gram Parsons but am aware that it could be someone else).

Harmony or backing vocals
    - Randy singing the Winslow Arizona line in Take It Easy (technically that's a co-lead... oh well, it had to make my list).
    - The harmony vocals on Earlybird, especially prior to where the bridge starts. The vocals remind me of The Beach Boys although I prefer the song to much of the Beach Boys' output.
    - During the final verse of The Last Resort when all of the band members come in on harmony.
    - The chorus of Ol' 55, which really highlights the superb harmonies of the original four members.
    - The moment in Seven Bridges Road where they sing the song's title for the first time. The vocals are great throughout but the way the sing that part is wonderful.

Lyrics
    - 'Well the towns lay out across the dusty plains, like graveyards filled with tombstones waiting for the names' from Doolin-Dalton, a very evocative description of the Old West.
    - The 'I've been searching for the daughter of the devil himself' verse of OOTN.
    - The 'You can leave it all behind and sail to Lahaina' part of The Last Resort. I love all of the lyrics to this song and could honestly pick any lyrics from it but this section is a favourite.
    - 'They will never forget you 'til somebody new comes along' from NKIT, summing up the song's main point while holding extremely true in many walks of life.
    - 'You think time is just a magazine' from BBF, I really must use or adapt that one when the chance arises.

These aren't the only ones I could have come up with but I do really like all of the moments (or longer) that I've mentioned. I notice that The Last Resort and Doolin-Dalton and the Reprise have come up more than once, I absolutely love these songs and they come from my two favourite Eagles albums so maybe this isn't surprising.