Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don's voice

Default Don's voice

I don't know if we ever did a thread about Don's voice, but I'm going to start one.

Don's voice. All I can say is wow!!! He has an amazing voice. I can hear him all day. The one thing I notice about Don's voice is, it really hasn't changed that much. It just got better. He may not can hit the high notes like he use too, but he still can.

He blends so well with his band members and blend so well with people he duet with. I love when he's singing harmony with Glenn.

I think my favorite songs that he has a great range are Wasted Time, The Boys of Summer, and probably more I can't think of at this moment. LOL

I really can't believe he has this voice since his talking voice is a deep baritone voice, but yet he sings like tenor.

Default Re: Don's voice

Don is my favorite singer... I'll admit, his voice is extremely soothing to me in songs like The Heart Of The Matter, Wasted Time, The Last Resort, Witchy Woman, etc. And he can totally rock out on Life In The Fast Lane, Hotel California, Those Shoes, The Long Run, etc.

I love Don's voice (I like Glenn's voice too, but Don's is my favorite).
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

You're welcome. His voice is soothing. When he does those ballads, you just melt. There's three artists I would listen to get through the day: The Eagles, The Osmonds and Kenny.

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

Don is my favorite singer of all time. I could listen to him all day, every day. His voice has aged a little, but still sounds basically the same.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Witchy Woman View Post
    Don is my favorite singer of all time. I could listen to him all day, every day. His voice has aged a little, but still sounds basically the same.
    Agreed on all counts. To have the versatility and range to go from a song like Waiting in the Weeds to one like Hotel California makes him the best around, IMHO.

Border Desperado

Bringing this one back because I have a question that I hope someone knows the answer to- I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed!!

I love Don Henley's singing and always have.

I just happened to catch the HOTE doc on Showtime a few hours ago and I once again saw the part where Glenn tells the story of how he became the lead singer of the subterraneans when he was in high school. He basically went up to them and told them he could sing "Satisfaction", so just by that statement I know he had been singing, even as really, a child at the time.

Don also mentions being in a band as a teenager - Dixieland Music, but in his own words- nobody sang. How did Don discover that he could sing? From everything I have read about him, I have never seen any mention of him getting a start as a singer so it got me wondering, how did that fabulous voice of his come to light?

Good question, Kingston. I wonder about that too. Don was a shy boy growing up from what I read. I would had thought singing up front would scare the crap out of him.

Well we know he started singing in Felicity which became Shiloh. So between the band he had in high school to Felicity(aka Shiloh), he had to find out he could sing. The question is how and who told him he could sing.

Stuck on the Border

Nobody told him. The band decided it had to have a singer so they drew lots. He lost. It's as simple as that. It's lucky that he then turned out to have a gift. He got the rasp by having to sing very hard above crowds in bars in order to be heard because their amplification in those days would have been basic.

(This is something I would like to discuss about Glenn as well but I'm not going off topic).

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Nobody told him. The band decided it had to have a singer so they drew lots. He lost. It's as simple as that. It's lucky that he then turned out to have a gift. He got the rasp by having to sing very hard above crowds in bars in order to be heard because their amplification in those days would have been basic.

(This is something I would like to discuss about Glenn as well but I'm not going off topic).
    I didn't know that. I learn something new about Don everyday. If he had to sing hard, wouldn't that had hurt his voice over the years?

I guess it was good he had lost. He was hiding that great voice that needed to come out.

Border Desperado

Thanks FP!

It also just goes to show that sometimes things really do happen for a reason.

I agree Shun- this board is a great source to learn interesting things every day.