Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Did they ask Bernie and Randy to be part of the reunion in 1994?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Did they ask Bernie and Randy to be part of the reunion in 1994?

The HFO DVD is weighted towards Henley and Walsh. Other songs were recorded but didn't make the cut including Peaceful Easy Feeling (Tempchin). It's an odd selection but doesn't really support Felder's allegation that it was to avoid paying royalities to Meisner and Leadon.

There's a strong correlation between the writer and the singer of an Eagles' song and so it doesn't seem surprising that a song gets dropped when the singer leaves rather than have someone else sing it. The exception is Take it to the Limit and each time Frey sings it, Meisner will be collecting royalties.

None of us know what went on when the Eagles were putting together Hell Freezes Over but it must have been a delicate process and it's hardly surprising that they didn't complicate things by trying to include all the former band members.

Banned

Yeah, they didn't want to "complicate" things. Makes sense to me!

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    None of us know what went on when the Eagles were putting together Hell Freezes Over but it must have been a delicate process and it's hardly surprising that they didn't complicate things by trying to include all the former band members.
    Definitely! Nothing would kill a tenuous reunion quicker than having back members who quit the band thrown into the mix. Good grief. Would make a good episode on Jerry Springer, and our guys would have ended up as just one more tabloid nightmare.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Border Desperado The Thrill Is Never Gone's Avatar

Yes, they quit. After being pushed to the point where they could not stand to be there anymore. GOOD GRIEF!!!!!!!!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Thrill Is Never Gone View Post
    Yes, they quit. After being pushed to the point where they could not stand to be there anymore. GOOD GRIEF!!!!!!!!!!
    Absolutely right, Thrill. Does anyone think Randy and Bernie quit a successful band like the Eagles, for any reason other than the fact that they were so unhappy that they didn't have any choice?

Which makes my point exactly! Thank you, I didn't word it like I should have.
    VK

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Springbo View Post
    Absolutely right, Thrill. Does anyone think Randy and Bernie quit a successful band like the Eagles, for any reason other than the fact that they were so unhappy that they didn't have any choice?
    I have done my very best to stay away from this, but when most musicians leave bands it tends to be because they are unhappy. This is hardly unique to Bernie & Randy.

Border Desperado The Thrill Is Never Gone's Avatar

Again, yes they quit. But if you were treated like a POS on a daily basis by your supposed friends, you might quit also.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Thrill Is Never Gone View Post
    Agree, now it is a two way split. Only minor side expenses.
    I am guessing that Joe and Timothy make millions and millions of dollars a year. Of course Don and Glenn make more, but I don't think JW and TBS's Eagles revenues are "minor". But, like everyone else on here, I don't know what or how they're paid. I can only surmise that they are not being "disrespected" financially by Glenn, Don and Irving, only because they would not have stuck around for so long. I don't think J & T are thought of or treated as sidemen - the Eagles need them, they are not replaceable in the current lineup. If either were to leave, it would be tough to tour as "the Eagles." It would become "Glenn Frey and Don Henley" in people's minds. At least in mine. (Not that that show would be a horrible thing to attend!)

The whole show, right down to the introductions, is all about making Joe' The Man', so I agree, MC, not exactly a 'side'. We know, I guess, what the percentages were when they got back together for HFO, but when Felder left, it would have been redone and we don't know how that worked out. I can't imagine any of the guys still in the band ever letting that cat out of the bag.
    VK