Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Did they ask Bernie and Randy to be part of the reunion in 1994?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Did they ask Bernie and Randy to be part of the reunion in 1994?

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Randy, rather than Timothy was the expected bassist for the Eagles reunion. The Long Run was the only previous Eagles album that Randy hadn't played on. He was the bassist on the two mega-selling Eagles albums. He even appeared on Greatest Hits II and Eagles Live that were released after he'd left.

It was a creditable decision to ask Tim first but I reckon most Eagles fans would have preferred a reunion of the Hotel California line up.

Didn't turn out too bad though
    Sorry, but I am with Brooke on this. 'Expected'? By whom?

Like the fans had any say in it. I have no idea what 'most fans would have preferred'.
    Last edited by Freypower; 11-03-2015 at 06:44 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Why would you think that? Timothy was already established as their bass player? Why skip over him and go back to someone who had quit? This boggles my mind that you would think this!
    When rock bands announce a reunion, I don't think it's unrealistic to expect it to be a reunion of the most successful or classic line up.

Being, for a moment, a self appointed spokesperson for most, pre HFO Eagles fans, I'd say that's the Hotel California line up.

I think the Eagles released 10 albums before HFO, Randy was on 9 of them, particularly the two Eagles albums that are in the top twenty best selling albums of all time. Randy would be the original bassist on most of the Eagles songs in the HFO set list. Most of Tims work, at the time, was still as a member of Poco.

As GlennLover mentioned, Glenn clarified that it was actually a resumption rather than a reunion.

Stuck on the Border

Yes. It was a resumption, with the bass player from the lineup that existed before the breakup.

Never mind the fact that several of those albums Randy was on were compilations or live albums. Never mind that he quit the band in 1977.

Congratulations on your 'self appointed spokesperson' status. Very clever.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Exactly.

Btw, I'm a pre- HFO fan and I would have never expected Randy to be included in the resumption. I honestly don't think anyone would. I have nothing against Randy, but he quit and they found someone to take his place.

F50, I'm sorry, but your statement is just ridiculous.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Banned

Please yourself Brooke. I mean, it's ridiculous to think of bands reuniting with band members who have quit, isn't it! What an idiotic concept!

Stuck on the Border

I didn't pay any attention to the reunion, but as I didn't even know that Randy had left the band, I might have expected him to be in the line-up. My preference, rather than expecation, would have been for a reunion of the original four.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Please yourself Brooke. I mean, it's ridiculous to think of bands reuniting with band members who have quit, isn't it! What an idiotic concept!
    Well, it is to me, but I guess not to all. Sorry!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I don't understand all the expectations of Randy rejoining the band for HFO???
    Tim was the bass player when the band broke up, so I would assume he would be when they reunited.

Stuck on the Border

I would assume that "the masses" think that the bass player they see in the Eagles today has always been there. Not sure if any of them went "I wonder which bass player they'll choose" when they started hearing about the reunion/resumption.

As for Eagles fans, I would assume that most people expected Timothy, although some (including myself) probably would have preferred Randy.

Having said that, I can see Funk 50's point. In rock music "reunions" often mean original or at least classic lineups (when Deep Purple reunited, it wasn't the last lineup before the breakup - although Bolin, of course, couldn't have been there anyway). I don't remember if the Eagles made it clear when they were coming back that it was a "resumption", or if it was just seen as a "reunion" at that point. Personally I remember hearing them talk about this only later (Glenn's "For the record, we never broke up..." on HFO etc.). But my memory is very hazy there.
    Last edited by chaim; 11-19-2015 at 11:52 AM.

Yes, Glenn said, We never broke up, we just took a 14 year vacation! It's on the HFO DVD.

As for Randy & Bernie, they both supposedly "quit" the band, so I was not expecting either of them for HFO.