Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NKIT and "guitarone"

Stuck on the Border

Default NKIT and "guitarone"

The liner notes say that Randy plays a "guitarone" in New Kid In Town. I've always wondered what a guitarone is. In a HC music book that has all the instruments transcribed - not very accurately always - it says "guitarone" beside the acoustic guitar part. However, I remember doing some digging years ago and finding out that a guitarone is a bass guitar of some kind. I saw the instrument mentioned in another thread a few minutes ago and this mystery came back to haunt me. I googled it and all I got was "guitar one" and a "did you mean guitar one?". I googled "guitarone instrument", and the only result that had anything to do with what I wanted to find was this: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_guitarone

So is guitarone the same as guitarron? I searched for "guitarron" on YouTube and got 17 200 results. So, is this the instrument Randy plays in the original NKIT???

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVrqZU7_Y5U[/ame]

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: NKIT and "guitarone"

I should have googled more before I started this thread. I just found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitarr%C3%B3n_mexicano

That article mentions Randy and NKIT.
    I got an answer to my question - it is the instrument Randy played - so this thread is kind of pointless now...

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Thanks for posting this Chaim. I'm always interested in the instruments our boys play.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Border Troubadour

In a similar sense, what other instruments are there (however bizarre) that have only been used once or twice on an Eagles song? I can think of the likes of organ (WT / ICTYW) and harmonica (D-D) but that's about it.

(Sorry, this isn't meant as a hijack! Is this was the der-der-der-der towards the end of NKIT would have been played on (between ''til someone new comes along' and 'where you been lately?'?)

isn't Timothy B playing one in the How Long Video from the HOTE?

No idea unless it's a rock n' roll guitar, amp, or effect. Otherwise I'm lucky if I can tell a flute from a banjo. I know Les Pauls like the back of my hand though!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by sad-cafe View Post
    I was thinking about that SC. I think he is. I always thought it was an acoustic bass, but it could be that instrument. I remembered seeing Timothy playing very big guitar in How Long.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sad-cafe View Post
    Could be. The neck in Timothy's instrument looks like a normal bass guitar neck. Otherwise it looks like that guitarron. Maybe there are different guitarrons? The one Randy played could be very different from the one in the YouTube link I posted.
    There are musicians here. Where are you now??

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    In a similar sense, what other instruments are there (however bizarre) that have only been used once or twice on an Eagles song? I can think of the likes of organ (WT / ICTYW) and harmonica (D-D) but that's about it.

(Sorry, this isn't meant as a hijack! Is this was the der-der-der-der towards the end of NKIT would have been played on (between ''til someone new comes along' and 'where you been lately?'?)
    I think the whole bass part could be a guitarron. When you listen to it closely before Glenn's voice comes in, it doesn't necessarily sound like a "normal" bass.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post

I just listened to it, and that four-note part you're talking about sounds amplified/fuzzed to me - they could have just run the guitarron through a tape recorder like Keith Richards did with the acoustic guitar on the Satisfaction intro, to get that fuzzy sound. The bass part on this song doesn't sound very prominent to me, but that could because I'm listening on me iphone and not on a sweet surround sound system! Anyway, I like this thread, thanks.