Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NKIT and "guitarone"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Stuck on the Border

Default NKIT and "guitarone"

The liner notes say that Randy plays a "guitarone" in New Kid In Town. I've always wondered what a guitarone is. In a HC music book that has all the instruments transcribed - not very accurately always - it says "guitarone" beside the acoustic guitar part. However, I remember doing some digging years ago and finding out that a guitarone is a bass guitar of some kind. I saw the instrument mentioned in another thread a few minutes ago and this mystery came back to haunt me. I googled it and all I got was "guitar one" and a "did you mean guitar one?". I googled "guitarone instrument", and the only result that had anything to do with what I wanted to find was this: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_guitarone

So is guitarone the same as guitarron? I searched for "guitarron" on YouTube and got 17 200 results. So, is this the instrument Randy plays in the original NKIT???

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVrqZU7_Y5U[/ame]

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: NKIT and "guitarone"

I should have googled more before I started this thread. I just found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitarr%C3%B3n_mexicano

That article mentions Randy and NKIT.
    I got an answer to my question - it is the instrument Randy played - so this thread is kind of pointless now...

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Thanks for posting this Chaim. I'm always interested in the instruments our boys play.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Border Troubadour

In a similar sense, what other instruments are there (however bizarre) that have only been used once or twice on an Eagles song? I can think of the likes of organ (WT / ICTYW) and harmonica (D-D) but that's about it.

(Sorry, this isn't meant as a hijack! Is this was the der-der-der-der towards the end of NKIT would have been played on (between ''til someone new comes along' and 'where you been lately?'?)

isn't Timothy B playing one in the How Long Video from the HOTE?

Stuck on the Border

No idea unless it's a rock n' roll guitar, amp, or effect. Otherwise I'm lucky if I can tell a flute from a banjo. I know Les Pauls like the back of my hand though!

Quote Originally Posted by sad-cafe View Post
    I was thinking about that SC. I think he is. I always thought it was an acoustic bass, but it could be that instrument. I remembered seeing Timothy playing very big guitar in How Long.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sad-cafe View Post
    Could be. The neck in Timothy's instrument looks like a normal bass guitar neck. Otherwise it looks like that guitarron. Maybe there are different guitarrons? The one Randy played could be very different from the one in the YouTube link I posted.
    There are musicians here. Where are you now??

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    In a similar sense, what other instruments are there (however bizarre) that have only been used once or twice on an Eagles song? I can think of the likes of organ (WT / ICTYW) and harmonica (D-D) but that's about it.

(Sorry, this isn't meant as a hijack! Is this was the der-der-der-der towards the end of NKIT would have been played on (between ''til someone new comes along' and 'where you been lately?'?)
    I think the whole bass part could be a guitarron. When you listen to it closely before Glenn's voice comes in, it doesn't necessarily sound like a "normal" bass.

The guitarron is played throughout NKIT, i'm pretty sure there's no other bass. In the How Long video Tim is playing an acoustic bass. I can clearly hear the guitarron when I listen to NKIT, but that could just be because I come from a mexican family and unfortunately grew up listening to mariachi music like Ronstadt did lol. I think they put a mic close to the sound hole like they did with the acoustics that weren't semi electric.