Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 RNR Hall of Fame Nominees

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Linda Ronstadt is nominated to be inducted into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

So Dire Straits have been ignored yet again. Sigh.

As far as what it is called it is too late to rename it and if it were to be renamed, what on earth could it be called? The Modern Music Hall of Fame?

Apart from Ronstadt I would have Deep Purple, Yes, Cat Stevens & Nirvana, although Nirvana will be inducted with the inevitability of night following day. Gabriel would already be in there with Genesis.

I am not going to enter into any debates about Kiss, but I have not the slightest idea who they have influenced.

Default Re: Linda Ronstadt is nominated to be inducted into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

My only comment is that it is anout time that Linda has been nominated & fingers crossed that she gets in!

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post

As far as what it is called it is too late to rename it and if it were to be renamed, what on earth could it be called? The Modern Music Hall of Fame?

Apart from Ronstadt I would have Deep Purple, Yes, Cat Stevens & Nirvana, although Nirvana will be inducted with the inevitability of night following day. Gabriel would already be in there with Genesis.

I am not going to enter into any debates about Kiss, but I have not the slightest idea who they have influenced.
    There are loads of decent bands that have been overlooked (in many cases never even nominated) - Chicago, Def Leppard, EL&P, Gram Parsons, The Jam, Jethro Dull, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Procol Harum, Sonic Youth, Steppenwolf, T-Rex, Thin Lizzy in addition to the rest mentioned on here... I agree with you fully, Dire Straits are as important and 'big' as 90% of the current residents of it. To have someone like Mark Knopfler not in there is absolutely incredible.

This is Nirvana's first valid year (25 years after first album I think), and I'll bet my life savings they'll get in, sadly at the expense of someone probably a lot more deserving, but tbf they did a lot to define grunge rock / metal. I believe Genesis was Peter Gabriel, they are absolutely shocking music-wise without him. You can be inducted unlimited times afaik - Clapton's in thrice as solo, Cream and Yardbirds.

KISS started I think one of the worst things about rock / metal - 100% image-based music. If they didn't prance about on stage in make up and firebreath and use zipwires and the rest of it they'd have been another run of the mill 80's band. A truly deserving band to be in the RRHOF for me would be bands like Eagles, LZ, Cream, Dire Straits, Black Sabbath and all those sort of bands - the ones who defined music and dominated and molded their genre.

Cat Stevens!!!!?????!!!!!! OMG, don't get me started!!!!

Whew! We now return to our regularly scheduled thread.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    There are loads of decent bands that have been overlooked (in many cases never even nominated) - Chicago, Def Leppard, EL&P, Gram Parsons, The Jam, Jethro Dull, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Procol Harum, Sonic Youth, Steppenwolf, T-Rex, Thin Lizzy in addition to the rest mentioned on here... I agree with you fully, Dire Straits are as important and 'big' as 90% of the current residents of it. To have someone like Mark Knopfler not in there is absolutely incredible.

This is Nirvana's first valid year (25 years after first album I think), and I'll bet my life savings they'll get in, sadly at the expense of someone probably a lot more deserving, but tbf they did a lot to define grunge rock / metal. I believe Genesis was Peter Gabriel, they are absolutely shocking music-wise without him. You can be inducted unlimited times afaik - Clapton's in thrice as solo, Cream and Yardbirds.

KISS started I think one of the worst things about rock / metal - 100% image-based music. If they didn't prance about on stage in make up and firebreath and use zipwires and the rest of it they'd have been another run of the mill 80's band. A truly deserving band to be in the RRHOF for me would be bands like Eagles, LZ, Cream, Dire Straits, Black Sabbath and all those sort of bands - the ones who defined music and dominated and molded their genre.
    Regarding Genesis I have never even heard the Gabriel era stuff. I really like the albums Duke, Genesis, Invisible Touch & We Can't Dance, commercial though they are. I am well aware that a lot of 'real' Genesis fans don't like those albums. I love Gabriel's solo work & saw him live on the Us tour, but if he's going to be in the HOF, so should Phil Collins, even if, again, his solo work is more commercial sounding than Gabriel's.

I will just have to wait & hope that one day Dire Straits'/Knopfler will receive the recognition they deserve, although I know Knopfler will never get in there for his solo work.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post

I agree with some of these. Def Leppard, Gram Parsons, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Steppenwolf, T-Rex, Thin Lizzy, etc. Not a big fan of prog rock except RUSH and even I'm picky on their stuff.

I totally disagree with this part. They are every bit as deserving. Image is a big part of rock n' roll to me. If they just came out in plain clothes, with a plain stage, and just played and sang I wouldn't be near as happy as say, AC/DC with Angus' stage antics, or Cheap Trick with the 12 string bass and 5 neck guitar. I love stage image and use of effects. I think we have a thread on that from years past on here where I go into more detail.

Their songs aren't very deep but they sure do rock and they are great party tunes. Perhaps THE rock n' roll anthem, "Rock N' Roll All Night" - is one that everyone knows and loves and can't help but to move to.

Gene is a polarizing figure, but I like him. Paul is Paul. I prefer Gene, but it isn't KISS without Paul. Gene and Paul of KISS are like the Don and Glenn of the Eagles.

IMO, KISS is a HUGE part of RnR history, for better or worse, and they are more deserving than some other bands nominated IMO, and certainly more than some who have made it in (Blondie, fer christ sakes?!). But yeah, they have inspired a lot of our favorite musicians to take up music, so at the very least - we have to give them props for that.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

I'm sorry, Austin, but you say Kiss have inspired many of 'our' favourite musicians to take up music. To whom do you refer? Who have they inspired?

You think Kiss are more deserving of being in the HOF than Blondie. The only Kiss song I have any time for is Rock'n'Roll All Night, as opposed to Blondie's Heart Of Glass, Atomic, Call Me, Rip Her To Shreds, Union City Blue & even songs I don't like as much like The Tide Is High or Rapture. They were a power pop band (they weren't New Wave as is often claimed) but I would rather listen to them than Kiss any day.

Also I could not disagree more that Rock & Roll All Night is THE rock anthem as opposed to absolutely anything by Led Zeppelin but I have now said as much as I wish to say & we will have to agree to disagree.

I'm sorry, Austin, but you say Kiss have inspired many of 'our' favourite musicians to take up music. To whom do you refer? Who have they inspired?

You think Kiss are more deserving of being in the HOF than Blondie. The only Kiss song I have any time for is Rock'n'Roll All Night, as opposed to Blondie's Heart Of Glass, Atomic, Call Me, Rip Her To Shreds, Union City Blue & even songs I don't like as much like The Tide Is High or Rapture. They were a power pop band (they weren't New Wave as is often claimed) but I would rather listen to them than Kiss any day.

Also I could not disagree more that Rock & Roll All Night is THE rock anthem as opposed to absolutely anything by Led Zeppelin but I have now said as much as I wish to say & we will have to agree to disagree.
    Most if not all of the late 70s/80s rock n' roll. Motley Crue, Warrant, Bon Jovi, on and on.

Where as most 70s musicians cite Beatles on Sullivan or the Stones as the influence, most 80s musicians cite seeing KISS. It's well documented and on the net and various quotes from bands.

As far as Blondie, I just can't fathom that, but to each their own.

When I think rock n' roll anthem I think about the song that sums up what it's about, and to me that's having a good time and partying and such. I am attracted to that side of RnR and the image as I've stated.

Also, KISS helped to launch RUSH, and even help out Van Halen. They've done a world of good for RnR.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Excuse me did I miss that this was a thread congrdulating linda .......not a debate or thread about who should get in or not . It should be about her.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    My only comment is that it is anout time that Linda has been nominated & fingers crossed that she gets in!
    I agree w you