Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: 2013 RNR Hall of Fame Nominees

Default Re: 2013 RNR Hall of Fame Nominees

I agree.. the categories would create more issues than they are worth. But I do feel that at this point, they should really consider dropping the 'rock n roll' part of the name since it has gone way beyond that.

My mind is Tiffany twisted

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Music Hall Of Fame. Enough said!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Chic were a very successful black band. If you narrow the definition to just rock & roll there would be no black artists at all. Rock music also includes R&B & soul for the purposes of being inclusive. Husker Du are not in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Fame_inductees
    Ok then I would not vote for the Replacements. I think HD have just one song in. Not sure how that works.

But isn't there a Country Music Hall of Fame that Rusty Young was inducted in? So are country artists included in the general Rock and Roll one? If there's a Country one, why not a Disco one?

SS
    xx
    http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013...called-it.html

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by lizzyplays View Post
    They could overhaul the entire thing, change it to the Music Hall of Fame and then do winners for different categories. That being said, that would start a whole new slew of issues in defining each category. What is rock? What is alt rock? What is metal? What is hair metal? What is thrash? What is hard rock? What is adult contemporary? What is easy listening? It would be endless and subjective to each listener's ear.
    Yeah - The last sentence that I bolded is why I think we should keep it as it is. Many genres, including country, bluegrass, r&b, and jazz already have their own HOFs so I think there should be one for r&r as well. I guess some of the genres that are now under the r&r umbrella could branch off and form their own HOF. In addition some genres don't have their own HOF, but they do have museums dedicated to their style and influential artists, such as Motown and the Rock and Soul Museum in Memphis that I recently visited.

And I totally agree that Linda's induction is long overdue, as are some other acts. I'm not sure what the nomination criteria is, but I guess the challenge is to separate the relevant and influential artists from the one or two hit wonders. If everyone gets in, it dilutes the significance, IMHO. But, as in most things, there are always borderline cases where there are good arguments both for and against certain artists.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by secret squirrel View Post
    Ok then I would not vote for the Replacements. I think HD have just one song in. Not sure how that works.

But isn't there a Country Music Hall of Fame that Rusty Young was inducted in? So are country artists included in the general Rock and Roll one? If there's a Country one, why not a Disco one?

SS
    xx
    http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013...called-it.html
    The HOF is for artists, not songs, so when I said Husker Du were not in it I meant the band is not in the HOF.

Disco was too much of its time & era to go back & create an HOF for it.

Country artists are not in the R&R HOF.

Johnny Cash is in the R&R hall of fame and most people consider him to be country

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    Johnny Cash is in the R&R hall of fame and most people consider him to be country
    Yes, and Hank Williams was inducted as an early influence

Stuck on the Border

People listen with their eyes. When KISS started, people said to them "you have great songs, but take off that makeup". When they became well known for the makeup, people decided that their music sucks.

It is possible to have great songs and a great show at the same time, folks. It really is. Having said that, although Paul is a great rhythm player, he's often sloppy live, because he keeps running and jumping and doesn't care that much about the playing. Gene plays well live. Bruce Kulick, who's a virtuoso player, said once that he doesn't remember Gene ever making a mistake (playingwise) live in all the years Bruce was with KISS.

There's a great quote from Steve Van Zandt in the book KISS - Behind the Mask. He never paid attention to KISS because of the "cartoon" thing. He finally went to see them in the mid-90's - during the reunion tour - and was "really really shocked. It was one great song after the next, nothing but terrific songs".

I can't blame people who say KISS's music sucks - and mention the show aspect at the same time - for being prejudiced. It's the same thing as a KISS fan insisting without listening to the albums that Spice Girls has never recorded a good song ("They dance, so their music must suck"). It is possible to love both, by the way. I do!

KISS influencing other people? Hard to say. I do remember Nikki Sixx saying that he wasn't influenced by their theatrics, but by their songwriting. I have heard many times that somebody started to play because of KISS or one of its members. But I don't think that's the same thing as "influencing". It's more like giving the initial spark to pick up an instrument.
    Last edited by chaim; 10-30-2013 at 08:09 AM.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    KISS influencing other people? Hard to say. I do remember Nikki Sixx saying that he wasn't influenced by their theatrics, but by their songwriting. I have heard many times that somebody started to play because of KISS or one of its members. But I don't think that's the same thing as "influencing". It's more like giving the initial spark to pick up an instrument.
    Just thought I'd point out that Nikki and the Crue also cite Sweet as one of their influences, going so far as to cover Little Willy.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

The list for the 2014 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees are in and Linda is going to be inducted along with Nirvana, Kiss, Peter Garbriel, Hall & Oates and Cat Stevens.

I had 5 out of 6 right. I only picked 5.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...class-20131216