Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SO...HOW DO YOU THINK THE EAGLES' VOICES ARE HOLDING UP?

Default SO...HOW DO YOU THINK THE EAGLES' VOICES ARE HOLDING UP?

It's not ALWAYS inevitable, but if you're a professional singer and you stay around a l-o-o-o-n-g time, sometimes you lose something off your voice - usually the top end. I saw Gordon Lightfoot a couple of years ago and it was disheartening. That mellow, resonant voice with the natural vibrato is a mere shadow of what it once was.

On the other hand, Crosby ~ Nash were magnificent - same age as Lightfoot (early 70s), and they still bring it. Same for Crosby, Stills and Nash. Stills isn't quite as mellow as the old days, but he still hits, "it's my h-e-e-e-a-a-a-r-r-r-t" on the Suite with no trouble. And when the three sing together, it's quite heartwarming.

James Taylor just keeps rollin' along.

However, Joni Mitchell has to tune her guitar all the way down from "E" to "C" because chain smoking has shaved several levels off her range.

What about Eagles?

What I heard Monday night was phenomenal - when Bernie joined in and they did 5 parts, it was almost overwhelming.

I bring it up because I recall hearing some accusations that Don was lip synching a section of "Waiting in the Weeds" a few years back - the "flavor of the week" part, which is UP there.

While he didn't sing that song Monday night, the Don Henley I heard would have had no trouble singing "Waiting in the Weeds." He was as powerful as ever. Glenn sounded great (cold and all), and Tim B. showed no after effects of his throat miseries. Joe, frankly, sounded better than I've ever heard him - awesome.

What do YOU think? Do they "still got it?"

"You can check out any time you like,
    But you can never leave!"

Border Troubadour

Default Re: SO...HOW DO YOU THINK THE EAGLES' VOICES ARE HOLDING UP?

Although not the greatest method of assessment, I get the impression from videos I see that Glenn's voice is starting to wane slightly; I wonder if the fact that as the LROOE tour progressed some of his songs were cut (NKIT, TS and AG I think all disappeared) says something also. It will happen to any artist in any genre that as their age progresses their voice will be affected to some degree; however a lot also depends I think on the nature of the song. With all respect to Joe, not many of his songs need the same sort of vocal care and time taken over them that the likes of TITTL (for Randy at least) or OOTN etc do, so he may appear less affected than say Don, Glenn or TBS do.

(I'll actually put up a counter argument to the above - Felder's voice now is actually quite decent, certainly better than what we saw of it during the 70s.)

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Their voices all sounded just like I expected them to - that is, very close to the recorded versions of the songs. They have written some songs with high notes, and Don, Glenn, and Timothy are hitting those notes as well as someone 30 years younger could - I guess I'm saying those were tough notes even when they were in their 20s. Glenn sounded very good on NKIT. Joe's voice hasn't aged a bit. I honestly don't think the 4 of them sung any more bad notes than any other performer who is actually singing that many songs live, with no backing track, for 3 hours. (Bernie sounds good, too. I wish he had another song to sing.)

Timothy has spoken in interviews about the vocal coaching/work he does after his surfboard accident, so we know he actually works on his voice. I don't know about the others and what type of vocal work they do or if they employ coaches. Someone else probably has info on this.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I think that Glenn's voice was giving him problems, but I feel that the making of After Hours has brought his voice back better than it's been in a long, long time. Anyone listening to that album or the concerts he did promoting it cannot possibly believe that his voice has lost anything. Granted, with his recent cold it lost some strength, but that's about it.

I think that Don's voice sounds MUCH better than it does on the Farewell I DVD, and I thought that for LROOE as well.

I agree that Joe sounds as good or better than ever, and Timothy's voice is as sweet and pure as ever.

Somehow, these guys have cheated Father Time for which I am incredibly grateful. I love reading the tweets during and after a show where long time, casual fans are astounded at how great they still sound.

I know I'm a wee bit biased, but I don't think they sound great for men in their 60's. I think they sound great. Period. No qualifier needed.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I think that Glenn's voice was giving him problems, but I feel that the making of After Hours has brought his voice back better than it's been in a long, long time. Anyone listening to that album or the concerts he did promoting it cannot possibly believe that his voice has lost anything. Granted, with his recent cold it lost some strength, but that's about it.

I think that Don's voice sounds MUCH better than it does on the Farewell I DVD, and I thought that for LROOE as well.

I agree that Joe sounds as good or better than ever, and Timothy's voice is as sweet and pure as ever.

Somehow, these guys have cheated Father Time for which I am incredibly grateful. I love reading the tweets during and after a show where long time, casual fans are astounded at how great they still sound.

I know I'm a wee bit biased, but I don't think they sound great for men in their 60's. I think they sound great. Period. No qualifier needed.
    Well said, VA!

P.S. Trying out an avatar--if you know someone else has this one, let me know and I will change it. Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by deb828; 03-08-2014 at 06:45 PM.

agreed VA

I think their voices sounds good today. Either your voice gets better with age or worse. I think it got better. They will probably never sound like they did when they were in their 20s, but it's amazing that they can still hit those high notes especially Don. Even if they had to lower the key.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 03-08-2014 at 05:38 PM.

Interesting - thanks for the comments.

The only song I know for sure that they lowered the key was "Boys of Summer." It's not uncommon for some guitar based groups to tune down 1/2 step from E to Eb (or D# if you prefer). Not that noticeable but really helps the voice. Neil Young tunes down to D for several songs now.

"You can check out any time you like,
    But you can never leave!"

I saw them in Las Vegas in March 2013 and again recently in New Orleans February 23. They sounded slightly better vocally in Las Vegas imo. But as has been mentioned Glenn and Don were fighting colds. Glenn struggled a little with higher notes but he was obviously sick. He would run for kleenex during songs. Don's voice seemed just slightly hoarse,to me, near the end of the show
    but he nailed the high notes on OOTN! The guys were troopers and put on a great show despite fighting colds!

Stuck on the Border

I have not seen the band since 2010, but I saw Glenn four times last year & he sang superbly throughout.