Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass Playing Style (Randy and Timothy)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Default Bass Playing Style (Randy and Timothy)

When I watch Randy playing bass guitar it sometimes seems like his right hand isn't doing anything much at all as he sort of bends it over the strings from above. Can't see his fingers. His left hand is obviously active on the arm thing on the guitar (sorry don't know what that's called)

When I watch Timothy playing bass guitar I can see his right hand and fingers really moving making it far easier for me to pick out his bass line.

As a non-muso kind of person please tell me if I am right and that Timothy is far more demonstrative as a bass player?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Bass Playing Style (Randy and Timothy)

I've never really paid attention, but now that you mentioned it, Randy is very gentle with his bass!

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I read/heard in an interview that in his early years, Timothy played it with a pick like you would play a guitar, then he switched to the fingerstyle he plays now "to have more control." I'm guessing when they were learning to sing lead while playing bass - not an easy feat - they went with what was most comfortable. You could check out videos of Sting and Paul McCartney to see how they compare to Randy and TBS. I don't know anything about music, but it looks to me like the way Timothy plays sort of helps him keep time.

That's interesting MC. I didn't know Timothy use a pick first before he started using his fingers.

Timothy seems to be into it when he plays. He makes it looks soo easy when he's playing. I have to watch a clip of Randy playing since I don't know him that well since I'm only knew of the current lineup.

Its so rare to see bass players use a pick instead of their fingers. Paul and Sting usually use picks. Its interesting that Paul's bass kinda looks like a guitar.

I have seen bass players who do sing and play at the same time. I think its not as bad singing and plunking at the same time then it is playing the drums and singing through the whole song at the same time.

Banned

My 2 cents...all bass players do an amazing job in a band. The word most people use for Randy's bass style is "light on the neck" when keeping rhythm w/the drummer. From the beginning he was always known for his vocal concentration when he sang, this is the reason his eyes were usually closed when he would sing the more complex songs. Randy knew he had the gift of voice, that's why he chose singing as a career!

Out on the Border

No sleight on Schmidt at all, but for me Meisner was an incredible, and I believe, superior player.

It's so telling when the musical output is huge, yet on stage, it looks like he isn't doing anything.

The ability of his highly evolved right hand technique allowed him to turn the gain on his Fender amp up very high, but he had complete control of the sound of the bass by barley touching the strings, to really driving the sound by aggressively plucking them for emphasis.

An early example is "Doolin Dalton".

His playing is all the more amazing by the fact that he was singing some great high harmonies as the songs went along.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ephi82 View Post
    No sleight on Schmidt at all, but for me Meisner was an incredible, and I believe, superior player.

It's so telling when the musical output is huge, yet on stage, it looks like he isn't doing anything.

The ability of his highly evolved right hand technique allowed him to turn the gain on his Fender amp up very high, but he had complete control of the sound of the bass by barley touching the strings, to really driving the sound by aggressively plucking them for emphasis.

His playing is all the more amazing by the fact that he was singing some great high harmonies as the songs went along.
    Absolutely the best statement about Meisner's technique I have ever read!

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight74 View Post
    Absolutely the best statement about Meisner's technique I have ever read!
    Thank you sir! It comes from trying to cop his sound and tone. (I cant even think about trying his vocals)

A lot of bass players get overlooked for their contributions on great and very popular songs.

Lots of people have no idea how important McCartney and James Jamerson were to the mega hits they played on,

(and I mean no insult by that, a lot of people were simply listening to the whole "song" in a non "musician" way)

Meisner's playing was no less important to the Eagles, In My Opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Ephi82 View Post

Excellent analogy!!

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

There are definite differences. When I have more time to think out my reply I'll post it.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."