Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bass Playing Style (Randy and Timothy)

Default Re: Bass Playing Style (Randy and Timothy)

IMO, Randy is definitely a bit more softer in attack/picking with the bass where as Tim plays with and without a pick and is more present in stage presence. Generally speaking, of course.

Duff McKagan is another pick player.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I have to admit I had never given this a whole lot of thought before, but this is a very interesting discussion. Honestly, I don't remember seeing Tim ever play with a pic before, yet I remember seeing him throw pics to the audience. As I said, I guess I hadn't been paying very close attention. Now, here's something I'll have to add to my list of things to look for at my next show.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Banned

My 2 cents...all bass players do an amazing job in a band. The word most people use for Randy's bass style is "light on the neck" when keeping rhythm w/the drummer. From the beginning he was always known for his vocal concentration when he sang, this is the reason his eyes were usually closed when he would sing the more complex songs. Randy knew he had the gift of voice, that's why he chose singing as a career!

Out on the Border

No sleight on Schmidt at all, but for me Meisner was an incredible, and I believe, superior player.

It's so telling when the musical output is huge, yet on stage, it looks like he isn't doing anything.

The ability of his highly evolved right hand technique allowed him to turn the gain on his Fender amp up very high, but he had complete control of the sound of the bass by barley touching the strings, to really driving the sound by aggressively plucking them for emphasis.

An early example is "Doolin Dalton".

His playing is all the more amazing by the fact that he was singing some great high harmonies as the songs went along.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ephi82 View Post
    No sleight on Schmidt at all, but for me Meisner was an incredible, and I believe, superior player.

It's so telling when the musical output is huge, yet on stage, it looks like he isn't doing anything.

The ability of his highly evolved right hand technique allowed him to turn the gain on his Fender amp up very high, but he had complete control of the sound of the bass by barley touching the strings, to really driving the sound by aggressively plucking them for emphasis.

An early example is "Doolin Dalton".

His playing is all the more amazing by the fact that he was singing some great high harmonies as the songs went along.
    Absolutely the best statement about Meisner's technique I have ever read!

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight74 View Post
    Absolutely the best statement about Meisner's technique I have ever read!
    Thank you sir! It comes from trying to cop his sound and tone. (I cant even think about trying his vocals)

A lot of bass players get overlooked for their contributions on great and very popular songs.

Lots of people have no idea how important McCartney and James Jamerson were to the mega hits they played on,

(and I mean no insult by that, a lot of people were simply listening to the whole "song" in a non "musician" way)

Meisner's playing was no less important to the Eagles, In My Opinion

Border Desperado The Thrill Is Never Gone's Avatar

His bass playing is very distinct on Out on the border.

Randy's fingers seem very long also. Maybe that is why he makes it look to easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamorna View Post

Listen to the beginning of One of the Nights. That is Randy playing the beginning of the song. It is all bass. Then his backup singing on that song is the best.

on the Very Best of the Eagles, the liner notes Don says Randy was hitting notes that only dogs could hear. I took that to mean he was hitting very high notes!