Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bass Playing Style (Randy and Timothy)

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Bass Playing Style (Randy and Timothy)

That OOTN intro is great. There's also, I believe, Bernie doing the funny slides up the neck and the staccato E minor chord on the 12th fret. A very odd guitar part indeed.
    The bass lick was written by Don Felder. He mentions this in his book.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Over the past couple of months I looked through some OOTN videos posted on youtube from this tour to try to see Timothy playing the intro, but nobody ever has the camera on him, and I don't know if he's in a spotlight or not. Anyone who has been to the shows so far - is TBS highlighted during the OOTN intro, or is it downplayed b/c it's "Randy's bass solo"?

Seems like this thread has had a lot of interest and there has been some good discussion and information.

I was wondering about the Eagles' "Rhythm Section" - you read a lot about the Eagles' harmonies, virtuoso guitar players, tight backing musicians, etc...but I have never read anything specifically about the bass player and drummer working together and how they interact to drive the music. I grew up as a big fan of the Rolling Stones, and the Charlie Watts/Bill Wyman relationship was a huge part of what made their songs recognizable and was the subject of much discussion. Does anyone have any information about Don's interaction with Randy or Timothy, musically? I'm guessing there may be a "Don's style of drumming" thread in here somewhere. I guess I'm wondering if the "rhythm section" of the Eagles is not considered a big part of their sound. The only thing I can remember reading about the drumming was sort of derogatory in "Heaven and Hell" - he plays behind the beat or something. Does Don drive the rhythm section, or does the bass player?

Chime in, musos! We could make this a new thread if there is enough interest.

That's a great question, MC. As a huge Fleetwood Mac fan, I see how the Mac makes a BIG deal about the partnership of the rhythm section (obviously - the band is named after the rhythm section lol) but you rarely hear about Don H partnering with Randy or Timothy. I'd love to hear some thoughts about this, too.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I would say that my favourite Eagles track for listening to the bass/drums interplay is King Of Hollywood. There are probably others but that has always stood out for me. One Of These Nights is probably another one because the bass is so prominent in that song. But as to the actual question who drives the rhythm section, I can't answer it.

[Side note: Soda, is Glenn singing NKIT in your avi??]

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    [Side note: Soda, is Glenn singing NKIT in your avi??]
    I am sure Soda won't mind if I answer; it's How Long from the CMA Awards.

That's right! He's singing the line "Everyone is out there on the loooose" with gusto. I was lucky enough to be at the CMAs in the audience that night in 2007 with Dreamer and DonFan. They brought the house down!

Border Troubadour

Another little observation. I've downloaded a fair few of the EOC Eagles videos from back in't day (1970s) and on one particular song (Outlaw Man @ Seattle '76) it might just be the lighting and the camera angle but it almost looks like Randy doesn't have a spotlight on him, when the four others do. Granted it's a different version to the original (much more guitar-orientated) so there's no bass intensity at the end, but even on the chorus ('Woman don't try to love me; don't try to understand...) he's in darkness...

The more I've thought about this the more I think Randy is probably the most reserved and timid rock band member I've ever seen!

I remember reading Randy didn't want the spotlight on him and, if he was singing lead and thus HAD to be in the spotlight, requested it not be a full-on white spotlight but rather bluish.

He seemed to have no problem being in the spotlight in earlier shows, but after the Eagles got really big in 1975 and started playing to stadiums, he apparently developed a complex.