Page 91 of 92 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192 LastLast

Thread: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    Yes he did with Kathrin. It was around the time Tom Petty had died. Either he or Kathrin quoted a line from one of Tom's songs. We thought it was a strange IG post, but it looks like they had broke up. I don't remembered the media saying anything about it. I didn't even know he and Kathrin had brokeb up until Don got engaged to Diane.

TO tell the truth. I'm really not surprised he and Diane broke up.
    They both quoted Tom Petty songs.

Quote Originally Posted by KingWalsh View Post
    Walshfan88, wow don’t hold back I agree 100%, except maybe on the criminal aspect...ooof! I also thought the last post mentioned had to do with the Eagles Diss track/Road to Forever “You Don’t Have Me” And then he puts a play on words to Repurpose it For relationship, or just to slam Eagles since he’s in a mood? Idk. I just don’t get why he has to go through the trouble making these things public, especially relationship wise. His book was very passive aggressive and didn’t help his case in my opinion. And how he conducts himself on social media at times doesn’t help either. I guess I’m naive thinking that maybe at his age he would’ve finally outgrew that, but it’s a character trait so...and he did fess up somewhat to his days on the road “activities“ in his defense.

Chaim, ya that is pretty bad, so maybe he did mature a little?

His attitude is a darn shame, he is ultra talented but dang, exhausting isn’t the word. I am full aware nobody is perfect, and we all do things/say things out of anger, etc. Yet, I do believe he may be a rare breed of passive aggressive/ covert narcissist.
    Haha, no I don't think he's a criminal. I was just saying that that trait of injustice collectors are commonly seen in criminals that enact revenge, but a lot of people can be that way. It's just all about your impulse control on how you handle it. Do you whine or pout and make petty digs or do you choose to slip something extra into your neighbor's coffee, lol. I have no doubt Don is the former. He just likes to be petty.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yep - I guess some people never change. Maybe the best that can be said is that he is consistent.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border

Don is definitely an interesting guy. While he was very candid and open on the Howard Stern show, it seems like he now has a memorized script that he uses parts of for every interview he does. It smacks of insincerity to me. He also now includes a part in his show where he pretty much brags about himself for a few minutes before playing "The Long Run" (https://youtu.be/pDJvhAmiAsI?t=3699). He always ends this monologue with something along the line of "I never have to make another penny at music in my life, but I do it because I love to play for you" right before he starts lip syncing to his vocal track. Needless to say, this all seems pretty disingenuous to me.

Stuck on the Border

Wow that was a long introduction to The Long Run. 😄 I sort of get it. I don't think there's anything wrong with being proud of one's rise from poverty to riches, but (what I see as) the fake modesty turns me off a bit.

Yeah, I watched some of OOTN and it sounded like the same old vocal track, although I didn't compare it with other videos this time.

As for scripted interviews, as long as he doesn't turn into a Paul Stanley...😂

Out on the Border

lmao at the Paul Stanley reference.

He has used the same vocal tracks at least since 2014 when he appeared on AXS TV. I have synced up the Parker Playhouse show with some songs on the AXS concert. From what I can gather, Timothy Drury triggers click tracks that also include Don's vocal tracks before every song (the tempos are also exactly the same for each song in 2014 and 2020). Some of the harmony singing is live, but that seems to depend on the guys in the sound booth and how they want to mix the live vocals and prerecorded vocals.

I had always gotten the sense that Don just wanted to play music and be spontaneous on stage based on his musical disagreements with the Eagles' meticulously-planned shows. But his reliance on technology and a show that is absolutely reproducible down to the last note and vocal inflection in any venue is rather off-putting and contradictory to his ostensible purpose. So much for "in the past, we had no Pro Tools; we had pros."

I agree, thebagels.

His comment about not needing any more money reeks of egotism. It's just more subtle than an out and out person with Narcissistic Personality Disorder. The sheer irony in that he tells that line, and then immediately performs to tracks or autotuned vocals or lip syncs is just astounding. He is either oblivious to his own character and his own speech, or he just doesn't care. Either way, not a good look IMO.

Don has some issues. I love his guitar playing on those classic Eagles records, I love the parts of music he has written on those records, but I personally do not like the guy at all as a person. The sad thing is I use to lightly worship him and take his side. But once the rose colored glasses came off after I saw how he acted after Glenn's death and I started forming my own opinions with all of the interviews and videos and stories I had, it was obvious I was blindly following the guy into the abattoir. His victimization is attractive to some people. Some people including myself like to fight for the underdog. But he isn't a victim. At all!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thebagels View Post
    lmao at the Paul Stanley reference.

He has used the same vocal tracks at least since 2014 when he appeared on AXS TV. I have synced up the Parker Playhouse show with some songs on the AXS concert. From what I can gather, Timothy Drury triggers click tracks that also include Don's vocal tracks before every song (the tempos are also exactly the same for each song in 2014 and 2020). Some of the harmony singing is live, but that seems to depend on the guys in the sound booth and how they want to mix the live vocals and prerecorded vocals.

I had always gotten the sense that Don just wanted to play music and be spontaneous on stage based on his musical disagreements with the Eagles' meticulously-planned shows. But his reliance on technology and a show that is absolutely reproducible down to the last note and vocal inflection in any venue is rather off-putting and contradictory to his ostensible purpose. So much for "in the past, we had no Pro Tools; we had pros."
    That's a great point about not having any spontaneity after criticizing the Eagles for it. If he doesn't need any more money and plays just for the fun of it, he could do more spontaneous fun stuff (like playing different solo songs here and there) with his band and not worry about getting more crowd with Eagles hits. Now we basically have a "greatest hits of the Eagles" set and he "sings" Eagles stuff even from the first two albums - songs on which he didn't originally even play guitar.

This is just a personal thought, but for years I've had this feeling that he likes to have "casual fans" think that he was involved with those early songs too. In one interview years ago he said "originally, when we first started, there were five guys in the band", then named the original guys plus him. I guess he meant when they first started the company, but that's not what he said. In his book he said that Randy and Bernie were just as much responsible for GH1 becoming a big seller as Glenn, Don H and himself. Randy and Bernie were actually MUCH more responsible for it than him. So, although I don't REALLY think he does it intentionally, having a set list like this on every gig supports this "I was there" thing. IT certainly doesn't hurt him.

Like someone said, he's an interesting character. I don't think he's a bad person, but he does seem to have some issues, which show in certain ways. Having said that, most people seem to think he's just a humble, easygoing guy, so perhaps I'm wrong with my criticisms.
    Last edited by chaim; 11-09-2020 at 08:23 AM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I, too, agree with thebagels observation about how much Don claimed to disagree with the Eagles' structured approach, yet he now seems to model it very closely.

And, chaim, to your point about most people's perception of Felder - I think most of those are casual fans who don't bother to inform themselves about interactions and dynamics about how the band operated. Their opinions are formed based on how much they like the artist as a performer rather than knowledge of their personality and actions. Having said that, as I've acknowledged many times on this board, none of us know any of these guys so we will never know all the details. However, there is plenty of information that has been made public where you can see patterns of each of their personalities to make more informed opinions if you are interested enough to do so.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    That's a great point about not having any spontaneity after criticizing the Eagles for it. If he doesn't need any more money and plays just for the fun of it, he could do more spontaneous fun stuff (like playing different solo songs here and there) with his band and not worry about getting more crowd with Eagles hits. Now we basically have a "greatest hits of the Eagles" set and he "sings" Eagles stuff even from the first two albums - songs on which he didn't originally even play guitar.

This is just a personal thought, but for years I've had this feeling that he likes to have "casual fans" think that he was involved with those early songs too. In one interview years ago he said "originally, when we first started, there were five guys in the band", then named the original guys plus him. I guess he meant when they first started the company, but that's not what he said. In his book he said that Randy and Bernie were just as much responsible for GH1 becoming a big seller as Glenn, Don H and himself. Randy and Bernie were actually MUCH more responsible for it than him. So, although I don't REALLY think he does it intentionally, having a set list like this on every gig supports this "I was there" thing. IT certainly doesn't hurt him.

Like someone said, he's an interesting character. I don't think he's a bad person, but he does seem to have some issues, which show in certain ways. Having said that, most people seem to think he's just a humble, easygoing guy, so perhaps I'm wrong with my criticisms.
    I agree with most of what you said though I have no personal problem with him doing earlier songs as he says during his show that he joined in 1974, but he also acknowledges that PEF and TIE are from 1971. But I also think he's verbally tried to portray himself as being an integral part of the band from the beginning, which is not quite accurate as you said. Randy and Bernie actually had a lot more experience in the music business than Don and Glenn when the Eagles started. The most spontaneous DF performance I have ever seen was when he did a small show at a center for people with brain injuries (link below). Apparently he did acoustic solo versions of "Desperado" and "Best of My Love." Wish the entire songs were available online as I've never heard him do either of those songs anywhere else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wxLXtX-OD8