Page 57 of 92 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Default Re: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I know how strongly you feel about this, but when you write about this you make them sound like a completely different band from what they actually were. Even in the songs you like, when were the guitars every particularly loud or distorted? As for 'not acoustic guitars & harmonies'... a lot of people went to the Eagles for that, not for the small percentage of the sound to which you refer.

Already Gone, Life In The Fast Lane, In The City, Heartache Tonight, Those Shoes, James Dean, Victim Of Love, etc. I don't mean Metallica-level distorted, but I don't mean clean Take It Easy-style guitar either. I realize I'm in the minority but they DID have a good number of rocking songs that I find pretty special. If they only did Take It Easy/Peaceful Easy Feeling type numbers, I wouldn't be a fan. I realize most people are all about the vocals. I find their guitar sound quite underrated here.

I find your statement that you can't imagine the Eagles without Joe or Felder somewhat disingenous as you know very well Felder didn't join until 1974, Joe a year after that & there was no Felder after 2001. As F50 said, you don't have to imagine it. It's a fact.

My statement about imagining was if the band got rid of them after they joined. That's what I mean. I can't imagine the band once they had Joe going on without him. It was hard enough for me to lose Felder. I, of course, realize there was a time where it was just Bernie, and as I stated in my post, I was not real happy with that era of the band. I'm quite aware there was a time in the band where those two weren't in it. I couldn't imagine them going back to that sound, basically, without at least one of those guys.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 07-18-2016 at 07:21 PM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    You don't have to imagine it WalshFan88 . Listen to the first couple of Eagles albums or even parts of their most recent,Long Road Out Of Eden album.
    As I just wrote to FP, I'm well aware of those two albums, in fact I addressed it in my post. I do not like that sound, and my "imagine" statement meant I can't imagine them playing a show without Joe once they had him. It was bad enough losing Felder.

I'm not a fan of LROOE.

My favorite Eagles is On The Border through The Long Run.

My favorites of theirs are ones where Felder or Joe or both played a part in that rockin' guitar sound. It may be a smaller percentage but they exist and I love them and it's why I love the band. If that doesn't measure up to being a "real fan", so be it, but I love them for my own reasons, even if it's different than most (I'm used to being in a minority and I'm cool with that).

In the guitar community, the team of Walsh and Felder is well respected and the Eagles are well known for having a great guitar team and sound and signature tones and solos. It's just that most people focus on their great harmony abilities. But in the guitar playing scope of things, a lot of guys love them for their guitar licks and sound and style.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 07-18-2016 at 07:29 PM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Wha???? lol

I mean I personally don't care for the early Eagles.

I cannot imagine the Eagles without Joe or Don or preferably both. The rockin' Eagles is a good Eagles. For me, their early country sound is meh. I'm not the world's biggest Bernie fan, but I give him props for paving the way. I just cannot imagine the Eagles going back to a sound reminiscent of their first two albums.

I think it fuels my fire that some people would be happy with any lineup as long as Glenn and Don would have been there. I'm sorry, but I would have never given them a dime if Walsh wasn't there. It was hard enough without Felder. Walsh contributed so much to the Eagles that I prefer him in the Eagles over the James Gang or solo stuff. I like his solo tunes best in the Eagles live shows. I just cannot imagine and Eagles going on without Joe Walsh in it. It seems ludicrous to me.

Again, I think the Eagles were best suited as a commercial classic rock band, and not a country-rock outfit. I feel their best work had Felder and Joe in it, and I feel the work with Felder and Bernie was better than Bernie alone. I'm not a fan of the older country sound. To me I want some loud distorted guitars and some uptempo rockers or songs with great singing guitar solos in them.

It's safe to say that if the band had kept their more country-tinged sound of Desperado forward, I would not be an Eagles fan. For me it was never about soft country-rock and harmony vocals, it was always about good rock guitar and great singers who could really rock when they wanted to. Not acoustic guitars and Telecasters and twangy harmony vocals lol.

Joe brought SO much to their live shows, he stole the show in the second half and they were happy to let him. He brought a ton of energy and fun, even when they were all stuffy with those funeral suits in the LROOE period. Joe brought so much to the band, a band that was at times a bit too formal. I don't see Bernie or Felder or Steuart running around with a camera on their head. And the band needed that. I firmly believe at times it was too stuffy, and Joe helped relieve that.
    I understand your point of view, but this is the one part looks weird. Bernie with Felder is better than Bernie alone. Where's Glenn? As far as I know Glenn worked more with Felder guitarwise than Bernie - in the rockier material at any rate. Already Gone, Too Many Hands...But I guess you mean in addition to Glenn you prefer both Bernie and Felder to just Bernie...It just looks like Glenn didn't play guitar at all. But I know that you know better.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I understand your point of view, but this is the one part looks weird. Bernie with Felder is better than Bernie alone. Where's Glenn? As far as I know Glenn worked more with Felder guitarwise than Bernie - in the rockier material at any rate. Already Gone, Too Many Hands...But I guess you mean in addition to Glenn you prefer both Bernie and Felder to just Bernie...It just looks like Glenn didn't play guitar at all. But I know that you know better.
    Absolutely because Glenn was a consistent member. I've praised him a lot. I mean, his solo in Already Gone is a top fav and a fav to play live. I've always thought he could have let loose more than he did, and I certainly consider him to be the rhythm guitar glue when the others did play lead guitar. But of course, yes Glenn too. I'm just referring more to the members that have changed out. My bad.

For me, my favorite stuff will always be Frey, Felder, and Walsh.
    Second favorite would be Frey, Felder, and Leadon.
    Least favorite would be just Frey and Leadon just because Bernie's more country and with Felder and then Walsh those three could really go to town on some rock guitar.

Frey and Felder did work together a lot on the more "rock n' roll" stuff and I certainly see them as shining stars in the OOTN period. My favorite song of the Frey/Leadon guitar team was Witchy Woman, because Glenn has a rock solo in that.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Banned

I recognise that the dual guitars of Walsh and Felder was a signature Eagles sound. It's definitely missing on Long Road Out Of Eden and probably on the 4 new HFO songs too.

They've reproduced that sound on a few Walsh albums, with tracks like At The Station, Rivers Of The Hidden Funk and Told You So but Felder didn't show any desire to extend the team beyond the Eagles. he opted to scrub Joe and play all the guitar parts himself on his solo tracks. I can't think of a credible reason why he'd do that.

If Walsh was sacked in 2001 rather than Felder, his fans would have been overjoyed. The promise of proper albums and tours without the diversion of the Eagles would have been heaven.

Frey and Henley got the most money, they should've been able to cope without Joe.
    Last edited by Funk 50; 07-19-2016 at 06:20 AM.

Stuck on the Border

This is really getting off-topic, but how many albums and tours did Joe record between 1997 and 2001? There was little Eagles work to get in the way and he wasn't under Eagles management and yet, the only album releases were compilations of old recordings. Whatever his fans may have thought, the problem wasn't his Eagles committment. Maybe it was family life that got in the way.

I understand why Don Felder would have recorded all the guitar parts - it gave him the freedom to do what he wanted at a time when he wanted without having to deal with other people's problems. Many years later, he brought in other guitarists for Road to Forever.

Felder, Joe, Glenn and whoever, made their choices because they seemed the best of the options available to them at the time, and personal issues were probably as big a factor as musical ones. Their lives and their choices. Our only choice is whether to listen to the music they recorded or played in concert.

Banned

STYX & DON FELDER: RENEGADES IN THE FAST LANE

Don's ditched his Hotel California billing, switching to "The Fast Lane". Will Don, Joe and the Eagles legal team let him get away with it?

http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/news.php

“I’m so excited to be sharing the stage at The Venetian with my good friends STYX,” said DON FELDER. “This is going to be one ‘ROCKING’ show in the most ‘ROCKING’ city in the U.S. Come join the fun and party with STYX and I this January. See you there.”
    Looks like Don will be dropping Seven Bridges Road, Tequila Sunrise and Peaceful Easy Feeling from his set list. I didn't realise that Las Vegas was "the most ‘ROCKING’ city in the U.S"

Stuck on the Border

He might keep 7BR.
    Here's the setlist from the show he did with Styx earlier this year - just 9 songs.
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/don-fe...-73febac9.html

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    STYX & DON FELDER: RENEGADES IN THE FAST LANE

Don's ditched his Hotel California billing, switching to "The Fast Lane". Will Don, Joe and the Eagles legal team let him get away with it?

http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/news.php

Looks like Don will be dropping Seven Bridges Road, Tequila Sunrise and Peaceful Easy Feeling from his set list. I didn't realise that Las Vegas was "the most ‘ROCKING’ city in the U.S"
    I don't see why he can't use The Fast Lane. He isn't using the entire song title.

That isn't much of a setlist.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

*...party with Styx and me** Fixed it for him.

Vegas is definitely the hot spot and has been for a few years. Depends where they're playing, but it's a good move for him. Hope to see some reviews!

edit: oh duh, Venetian. Nice!