Page 87 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3777838485868788899091 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

I'm not sure if this has been posted before. Although the subject matter is familiar, to me, the tone is different - more mature and reflective. Possibly it's because it was an interview for a magazine that is sold by the homeless.

https://www.bigissue.com/interviews/...hol-and-drugs/

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been posted before. Although the subject matter is familiar, to me, the tone is different - more mature and reflective. Possibly it's because it was an interview for a magazine that is sold by the homeless.

https://www.bigissue.com/interviews/...hol-and-drugs/
    I agree. One of the best interviews I've read of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Felder
    I think I lost my long-term vision in the Seventies, when I got involved with alcohol and drugs. It’s an easy downfall for people who come from humble beginnings and are overwhelmed by the tsunami of wealth and fame and admiration. I’ve seen it and seen it and seen it. I was fortunate though. There was a night – by then I was married, and I had four kids – I came home at one o’clock in the morning after a month away. I woke up hungover, and there was my little two-year-old daughter tapping on my arm, saying, daddy, daddy, wake up! And I felt horrible. That was a lifesaver for me. It wasn’t just a tap on my arm, it was a tap on my psychic shoulder saying, you can’t do this. So after that I really pulled in my consumption. I stood and watched the rest of the band go absolutely overboard with it all, and I’d just go to bed. I had something more valuable to me than getting high, and it was my family. I saw myself standing above the rabbit hole I’d seen so many people fall down, and if I hadn’t pulled it in I could still be down there now.
    I appreciate this because he doesn't try to blame anybody else. He accepts that he made poor choices regarding alcohol and drugs, and that it was up to him to choose to pull back. No "Oh everyone else was doing it, how was I supposed to say no..."

This puzzled me, though:

Quote Originally Posted by Don Felder
    I think my wife and I would still be together today if the band hadn’t been on the road between 10 and 11 months a year. When you’re away all the time, and every room is an empty hotel room, and there’s a lot of partying going on it’s easy to forget what’s going on at home. All sorts of things can happen on the road. I don’t use that as an excuse – I accept I did that, and I suffered the consequences. I deserve everything that happened to me. And sadly, my children grew up with mostly an absentee father. When the band broke up I tried to make up for that. I made a solo record but I didn’t tour. I stayed at home, I became the school soccer coach. I felt I owed them that time.
    But they got divorced decades later??

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Soda - This is just my take on it. Don claims he and his wife grew apart when he was on the road ans she started her jewelry business. Perhaps he means if he was home more she would not have wanted to start her business to fill in her time while he was gone. However, I thought she started the business in the early 80's after the Eagles broke up and he was home and not touring. While he was touring she was having their children and raising them. I did read his book but it was many years ago so, I can not remember the time line for all of this. I believe they divorced around 2001. He was the one who asked for the divorce saying he did not love his wife any more. If I remember right, she was shocked by his request for divorce. How long after they separated did he start dating the new gf ?

PS - Am I reading this wrong or does he seem to have a more balanced attitude and understanding regarding his father than he did when he wrote the book ? Thanks UTW - it was an interesting read.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 07-13-2019 at 05:08 PM.

I wonder if he and Kathrin are still together, but than again. There was that strange Instagram post when Tom Petty died.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Stuck on the Border

If I could relive one moment in my life, I would rather watch my child seeing this world for the first time again than coming up with a chord progression! 😃 The HC progression is a variation of an already-used progression anyway.

But yeah, I definitely think that Don has been more mature lately in interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Don will be one of the hosts of a new series on AXS TV, “A Year in Music” which debuts on Sunday, July 7.

https://themusicuniverse.com/axs-tv-...-music-series/
    Just a reminder for those interested that Don will be hosting tonight’s episode about the year 1969.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Border Rebel

Thanks for the reminder, Delilah. I forgot about it, but the 1969 episode is being shown again this Wednesday the 24th at 9:00.

No problem, My My.

Did anyone get to watch this? I thought Don did a good job, but the segment seemed short - only 30 minutes to discuss such an important, eventful year in music.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Border Rebel

Yes, I watched it last night. I thought that Don did a good job too. I thought it was interesting when he said something about the singer-songwriter movement of the late 60's laid the foundation for the California sound that would define 70's supergroups like Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles and then a picture of them flashed on the screen. No mention of course, of his invovlement in the band. It was much shorter than I expected. It was more like a bunch of bullet points that could each have had their own program. I'm hoping that they rerun A Year in Music 1977. I watched the trailor and it looked like it would be good.

I'm continuing this discussion from the Don Felder Europe tour thread. Since this wasn't specific to that tour, I thought I'd move the discussion over here.

Here's the post I'm replying to from thelastresort:

I did toy with the idea of doing the London gig, I certainly could have gone had I wanted, but having seen clips of Felder's solo gigs over the last few years I decided not to for exactly the reason you state. I would love nothing more than to see Don play the opening lines of Hotel California and tear it up on all the other Eagles songs he played lead for, but I just cannot get along with him attempting to sing Don Henley's parts, or the butchered attempts at Seven Bridges Road or Peaceful Easy Feeling, songs he arguably has no natural right to cover at all (of course, he can play what he wants, but you get what I mean...). Yourself and the rest of the forum know how I feel about the latest incarnation of the Eagles and I want to keep my memories of songs seeing songs like Already Gone and Life in the Fast Lane as 'pure' as possible - for exactly the same reason I do not go and watch the current band live I cannot go and see Felder live.

I agree fully he would benefit from having someone who actually has natural vocal talents on board - his astounding talents on guitar (I have seen very few who play with such apparent ease) should be more than enough to make him the star of the show..

My response:

I honestly think he just is too proud to do so. I think he just has too much ego, even as a successful world-class guitarist from a best-selling band - he still feels the need to do it all himself and hog the spotlight. What is there left to prove? You're a phenomenal guitarist, a good writer of guitar parts, you have more money than you'll ever need, and you have the respect of a lot of your contemporaries. There is nothing left!

But he wasn't Glenn or Don. And that's ok. But you can tell he compared himself to Glenn a lot and was resentful he wasn't going to be as good of a leader or a singer as Glenn was. And because of that - he wasn't happy. He wanted the control, money, and vocal talent Frey and Henley had. He never got it, kept whining, and got the boot. And now that he has control of his band with his own name on it, he won't give anything up, even for the improvement of the band. See, Glenn was a leader and was a strong personality. He wasn't insecure nor arrogant. He wanted control of the Eagles. Felder did too, but sheepishly and shyly. He wanted control but didn't know how to get it and wasn't going to ever get it. So he throws Frey under the bus in the book for being controlling, big ego, nasty, greedy, etc. Except I don't associate any of that with Glenn. However, in hindsight sadly, I do with Don Felder. Glenn was not a narcissist. A narcissist isn't confident. A narcissist uses over the top arrogance and grandiose self-worth to cover up their deep-rooted insecurity and lack of contentment with themselves. Glenn was humble with nothing to prove. Felder has no one to blame but himself for his firing. Felder even at the age of 71 is still insecure, still unhappy, and still plays the victim. I feel sorry for Don Felder. There is no need to compare himself to anyone. Not all of us are natural born leaders like Glenn Frey. Not all of us have the golden throat that Don Henley has.

I'm not saying he's not a nice guy to his fans, but the man is definitely everything personality-wise that he raked Glenn Frey over the coals for being (which he wasn't) in his book. Two control-seeking personalities is a no go in most cases. I'd argue that Henley is probably more laid back than Felder, in the whole power/control thing. The difference is, Glenn would tell you to your face - Felder had to be passive-aggressive about it and while he was bold, like when it came to asking for his job back on the phone, it wasn't from a place of confidence like Glenn had. It was desperation and arrogance. There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance. There's also a difference between having the guts to stand behind what you mean actively, and doing it passive-aggressively in an indirect unsure sort of way. I'd argue Felder didn't have courage or confidence to make that call, but rather arrogance. He didn't have the guts to do it in person or to confidently do it over the phone. It reeked of insecurity the way he retells it. It wasn't guts that he had to do it. He quickly backed off when he was told no by Glenn himself. He was never going to be happy with the fact that he wasn't Glenn or Don. Not a singer, not a prolific songwriter. A great guitarist.

As long as he's still too proud and full of himself to add a singer (or 2), focus on his guitar playing, start acting more grateful and self-aware, and quit whining about only hearing from lawyers - I won't pay a dime to see him ever again. I refuse to support that kind of behavior and more than that - it's not a good listening experience, IMO. He has the right to play. Not the right to butcher Don Henley and Glenn Frey's vocals. I want to hear him play his guitar, and I want to hear this music done in the right way by people who can pull it off. Felder needs to come to terms with what Don and Glenn tried to tell him in the 70s and again in the HOTE doc - you aren't a singer. Point blank, no sugar coating. No amount of Auto-Tune will make you sing like Don Henley. And likewise, no amount of sound effects will make Henley play guitar like Felder.