Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
Analyzing why Felder would do that isn't something I'm going to do. I'm not saying it's a planned thing to try and fool people, but he always talks like HC was the first single. That quote from the book is why I mentioned the "only single" too. "This should be THE single." So it was released and he leaves it at that. We can read it in all kinds of ways. If Henley thought it should be the first single, but wasn't in the end, then Felder should have mentioned it.
Thank you for conceding that.

As far as Felder mentioning that NKIT turned out to be the first single, it would have been irrelevant if Henley indeed was referring to leaving the song over 6 minutes. Otherwise, I fail to see why it’s so critical that he mentions it.

He also says in the book that because of the success of the single HC was the opening track at concerts. NWIT was a number one before it, so why wasn't it the opening song? I believe it was the combination of being successful, being the title track and a "tone setter".
Yes, I agree - the band had other #1 hits and they were not used as the opening song at their concerts. HC was unique in its impact and tone relative to other Eagles’ songs.

I have to add that I don't know about the Eagles singles too much so after reading Felder's book I thought that HC was the first single. Later in this forum I learned that NKIT was a number one hit before it.
And no harm done, I presume(?).

I stand by my interpretation of Felder's words, but it has already been mentioned several times years ago, so I'm not going to fight this one for several pages.
I as well don’t want to continue quibbling over something that, imo, is pretty trivial. Since you say it has been mentioned several times already, it would be like beating a dead horse anyway.