Page 1 of 92 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Default Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Don is mentioned in two recent interviews with guitarist Joe Satriani:

http://www.ontourmonthly.com/qa-joe-...lindavid-huff/
    OTM: I recently spoke with former Eagles guitarist Don Felder who once asked band mate Joe Walsh, “Why would you put your successful solo career on hold to join a band?” Walsh explained that it was like night and day. As a member of a band, he wasn’t responsible for everything. Do you experience the same thing with Chickenfoot?
    Ironically, I am staring at a copy of Felder’s bestselling autobiography Heaven and Hell. For some reason, during the last couple of months, I’ve been on this Joe Walsh and Don Felder thing. I have been collecting vintage Fender amps. I’m a big fan of Don’s playing and I am a huge Joe Walsh fan.
    http://ultimateclassicrock.com/joe-s...013-interview/
    Satriani’s eyes light up at a random mention of former Eagles guitarist Don Felder, and he says that he’s spent the past couple of months revisiting the catalog of the legendary California band and, in particular, he’s been examining Felder’s work on those records. The conversation reveals that, at the center of everything, Satriani is still a music fan like the rest of us, searching through albums, songs and liner notes to uncover the stories.

Soda, I didn’t know which thread to post these interviews in, so I started a new one. The “Interviews and promotions” thread didn’t seem the right place.

Default Re: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Bruce Gaitsch is a guitarist and songwriter who co-wrote many songs on two of Timothy’s albums, Timothy B. (1987) and Tell Me the Truth (1990). Here’s his Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Gaitsch

Last week, Bruce posted this comment on the Eagles Fastlane Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I've said many times before how much I regret never having an opportunity to see an HFO show. I do think Don had a great stage presence in the Eagles' live shows and I especially loved watching the interaction between he and Joe. Even though I think Steuart is a fantastic and capable musician, he, obviously, doesn't fill Don's shoes in that regard. I think the band does a fairly good job of compensating for it by having Joe interact more with the other band members, but it's not quite the same, IMO.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

So agree, Dreamer. Felder was and is an awesome guitar player! I think they do quite well without him, but like you said, it's not quite the same.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I've said many times before how much I regret never having an opportunity to see an HFO show. I do think Don had a great stage presence in the Eagles' live shows and I especially loved watching the interaction between he and Joe. Even though I think Steuart is a fantastic and capable musician, he, obviously, doesn't fill Don's shoes in that regard. I think the band does a fairly good job of compensating for it by having Joe interact more with the other band members, but it's not quite the same, IMO.
    That is my thought as well.

I love Stu as a player, but no one could replace Don Felder. You can play their licks but it won't BE them - there is a special part of each guitarist's personality in their playing that cannot be duplicated. You can play their lines but it misses that stamp of the original guitarist. And that's coming from someone who plays other guitarist's parts all the time in a band. That said they still put on an awesome show but I agree- the Felder/Walsh interplay was very special.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Thanks for posting, SS!

Don is briefly mentioned, but I like what the writer says about his guitar playing and singing. Very nice!
    Felder was a special guest on Peter Frampton's Guitar Circus at the Indian Ranch in Webster, and his lead vocals on "Hotel California" were almost as impresive as his guitar work. Frampton is still a captivating performer, and when those two jammed on a ten-minute version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" it was pretty much six-string heaven.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I think I read this before, but I can't remember for sure. The reason I think I did is because I remember thinking at the time, and now, who needs to listen to Peter Frampton on guitar when Felder's playing? I'm sure it sounded great, but I believe I'd prefer to hear Felder solo. Or with Joe.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I had seen this show in NY & Felder & Frampton were an amazing guitar duo!
    Frampton is so under rated as a guitar player because of his pretty boy rep as a solo artist, but he rocked as lead guitar player for Humble Pie before he went solo. When Felder & Frampton did "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" in a 10 minute version of the song, it literally brought tears to my eyes. A fitting tribute to George Harrison.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    Frampton is so under rated as a guitar player because of his pretty boy rep as a solo artist, but he rocked as lead guitar player for Humble Pie before he went solo. When Felder & Frampton did "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" in a 10 minute version of the song, it literally brought tears to my eyes. A fitting tribute to George Harrison.
    I believe drugs were an issue, as they often are in these situations. I have mad love for Frampton.