Page 12 of 92 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Default Re: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Yesterday was the anniversary of Don Felder’s firing and Eagles Fastlane posted on Facebook a link to an article about it. Musician and songwriter Bruce Gaitsch, who co-wrote many songs on two of Timothy’s solo albums, commented on that post. Here’s what he wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/eaglesfans/...27575537314996

This is the article on the anniversary: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/the-e...re-don-felder/

Here is Bruce Gaitsch’s Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Gaitsch

I agree with Bruce Gaitsch. Don Felder is IRREPLACEABLE.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

SM, Yes, I saw all the articles, tweets, Google alerts, etc that dropped onto my various accounts yesterday, but elected to NOT post it on our Facebook page. I did last year and it had less than five interactions. I had other things to post and one thing I've learned, if you post too much, people Unfollow (not Unlike) your posts to avoid having their Newsfeeds fill up.

It's been 14 years, and for me personally, it's gets a little wearing to try and generate the same discussion over and over. It's a controversial subject among Eagles fans and for the majority of people on this board, they've pretty much already stated their opinions. I know I've given my opinion on it over and over and see no need to again ruffle feathers for the sake of it. Mr. Gaitsch is entitled to his opinion.
    Last edited by VAisForEagleLovers; 02-08-2015 at 12:23 AM.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Border Troubadour

I'll say it - apart from about 5 or 6 songs when Felder was dead on in concert I genuinely can't tell an audible difference for his absence. That's the trouble with being the type of guitarist Felder is: Smith can copy him note for note. You could never in a million years replace Walsh's sound but Felder's you reasonably can. The biggest hole left for me is the fact that they lost his capabilities on things like mandolin and steel pedal. I feel for the iconic loss of him and Walsh, the Hotel Cali outro and all that but if you were to give a selection of the 'they're just a cover band' outraged brigade two audio tapes (one Smith playing Hotel Cali and one Felder playing Hotel Cali) I would be amazed if anyone could tell them apart and give a reason why. Some obviously would, but not many.

Stuck on the Border

IMO 95% of the people who say that "Felder is irreplaceable" couldn't tell whether it's Steuart or Don playing if they didn't see it.
    In another thread I posted a comment from someone who said in the YouTube comments below the studio version of ICTYW that a trained ear can tell the difference between Felder and Smith. He was referring to Don's lead playing in that song. So, this trained ear can't tell the difference between Felder and Frey?

Stuck on the Border

There may well be a difference between the Eagles now and then, but how much of that is down to the passage of time? When they play the same songs for so long, it must be hard to keep it fresh.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    IMO 95% of the people who say that "Felder is irreplaceable" couldn't tell whether it's Steuart or Don playing if they didn't see it.
    In another thread I posted a comment from someone who said in the YouTube comments below the studio version of ICTYW that a trained ear can tell the difference between Felder and Smith. He was referring to Don's lead playing in that song. So, this trained ear can't tell the difference between Felder and Frey?
    Agreed. Do you have a link to that ICTYW video?

Apparently they must not have sounded like the Eagles from 1972-1974 either, since Felder hadn't yet joined the band!

If you want to hear something that sounds like a cover band, check out Felder doing Eagles songs during his solo concerts.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Agreed. Do you have a link to that ICTYW video?
    You don't have to scroll down too much. Posted my someone called "desertswo".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32qpZ5GC1ys

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    If you want to hear something that sounds like a cover band, check out Felder doing Eagles songs during his solo concerts.
    No, his vocals aren't good enough for a cover band.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    No, his vocals aren't good enough for a cover band.
    As much as I like to criticize Don for his various statements, I think his voice is rather nice for a guitarist who never really sang lead.