Page 13 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Banned

Default Re: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMoon
    Yesterday was the anniversary of Don Felder’s firing and Eagles Fastlane posted on Facebook a link to an article about it. Musician and songwriter Bruce Gaitsch, who co-wrote many songs on two of Timothy’s solo albums, commented on that post. Here’s what he wrote:

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/...s979162e2.jpeg

This is the article on the anniversary: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/the-e...re-don-felder/

Here is Bruce Gaitsch’s Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Gaitsch

I agree with Bruce Gaitsch. Don Felder is IRREPLACEABLE.

I wonder if there are any Felder fans that don't like The Eagles. I've never heard anybody say his solo stuff is better then his Eagles stuff. They must love the Eagles and hate them too.

Who was the best addition to the Eagles line up?

1: Joe Walsh
    2: Timothy B Schmit
    Last: Don Felder

Who was the greatest loss to the Eagles?

1: Randy Meisner
    2: Bernie Leadon
    last: Don Felder

Who is/was the most insignificant member of the Eagles?

1: Don Felder

The Eagles don't sound like a copy band. They sound like a bunch of old men performing tracks they first performed when they were young men.

But they're still fillin' 'and still thrillin'
    Last edited by Funk 50; 02-08-2015 at 05:34 PM.

Stuck on the Border

IMO Felder was more important than Timothy, but Joe may have been the best addition since he not only brought some nice songwriting and guitar playing, but keyboard stuff as well. Joe's electric piano and organ play a huge part in New Kid In Town. A HUGE part.
    Felder played organ in The Long Run, of course, but anyone could've played that. He's just following Glenn's rhythm guitar part. It adds nothing to the song. (or is Glenn following Don's organ part?)
    Last edited by chaim; 02-08-2015 at 07:34 PM.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    He's just following Glenn's rhythm guitar part. It adds nothing to the song. (or is Glenn following Don's organ part?)
    Or according to some they all just followed Otis Clay's Tryin' to Live My Life Without You

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Or according to some they all just followed Otis Clay's Tryin' to Live My Life Without You
    Wow! I wasn't aware of this song. Sounds like the same chord progression. But Glenn's rhythm part is slightly different IMO. About the only thing that is slightly different!

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    The Eagles don't sound like a copy band. They sound like a bunch of old men performing tracks they first performed when they were young men.

But they're still fillin' 'and still thrillin'
    F50, aren't you the one that said you haven't been to see them in concert recently? Haven't seen the HOTE tour? Maybe I have you confused with someone else. I've been to several, and not once did I feel they sounded like a bunch of old men. In fact, the most overheard comment when leaving an arena is that they sound exactly the same as they did when they were younger.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Border Troubadour

Both times I saw them last summer they were faultless vocally, Lyin' Eyes and D-D/D Reprise especially were just as good as their renditions of them back in the 1970s. The only one that was a bit off was TBS's voice on I Can't Tell You Why the first time around, however eight days later that was back to being as good as ever. Quite incredible when you bear in mind their age.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    As much as I like to criticize Don for his various statements, I think his voice is rather nice for a guitarist who never really sang lead.
    True, and I don't mean to diminish Felder's skills, which are considerable.

However, the accusation of "copy band" is far more applicable to a man singing songs like "Peaceful Easy Feeling", "Witchy Woman," and "Take It Easy" live which he didn't even contribute to in the studio, nevermind vocally, than it is applicable to the Eagles doing their songs without Felder playing guitar.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    F50, aren't you the one that said you haven't been to see them in concert recently? Haven't seen the HOTE tour? Maybe I have you confused with someone else. I've been to several, and not once did I feel they sounded like a bunch of old men. In fact, the most overheard comment when leaving an arena is that they sound exactly the same as they did when they were younger.
    The last time I saw the Eagles was in 2011. First time 1996. I never saw them in the 70s.

None of the tracks that they performed at both shows were better the second time around. They've always put on a great show but their musical peak was almost 40 years ago.

I think anybody that says they sound the same as they did in the 70s is deluded. Fans are saying they should call it quits within the next five years. Nobody was suggesting that in the 70s.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

The last time I saw the Eagles was in 2011. First time 1996. I never saw them in the 70s.

None of the tracks that they performed at both shows were better the second time around. They've always put on a great show but their musical peak was almost 40 years ago.

I think anybody that says they sound the same as they did in the 70s is deluded. Fans are saying they should call it quits within the next five years. Nobody was suggesting that in the 70s.
    I don't doubt they had their peak in the 70's, however that's a far cry from sounding like a bunch of old men now. Perhaps they don't sound as good as they did back then, but you made them sound like a bunch of geezers on the stage pretending to be young again. I'm not sure what fans are saying they should call it quits in the next five years. I'm thinking they will of their own accord, and some on here have agreed. For me, as long as the show they put on is worth the money and effort it takes to get to a show, I say they should keep on keeping on. Rather selfish of me since I assume they have other things they want to do in regards to their families.

At any rate, there are plenty that I've spoken to that went to their concerts in the 70's and have gone to shows on this last tour, and they all said they were better or just as good now. Of course, they meant the entire show and not just the vocals. Two of the men I'm thinking of had never seen them with Joe. The one lady I spoke with in Des Moines said the show she saw in the 70's, she felt there had been something wrong, they'd all seemed like they were in really bad moods. And of course, pleasure just experienced is usually perceived to be better than pleasure remembered, and hearing and seeing these guys is definitely a pleasure.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Border Troubadour

Not deluded at all, the 5+ hours of evidence I saw and heard only a few months ago backs up what I think. I have no idea how they do it but they are absolutely flawless: obviously not as energetic (no conveniently-placed lines of coke!), but technically still as good as ever. The only reason I am not opposed to their retirement soon is that I want them to go out on a high, not to cheapen themselves by having to drop complex songs and cull setlists. In five years time they will all be well in excess of 70. They will lose that spark by then and alas may even have other health concerns. They deserve to be able to enjoy the rest of their lives having basically devoted over five tireless decades to it. They've proved their worth.
    Last edited by thelastresort; 02-09-2015 at 08:52 PM.