Page 15 of 92 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    It's a good interview from Don's perspective. He clarifies how the ending to HC got written. About a year ago if you remember, he said one thing and what he said in the documentary was another thing, and this describes it way better.

Mr. Voket, on the other hand, could use a good proof-reader.

http://newtownbee.com/news/0001/11/3...ur-ahea/253583
    That's the kind of interview/article I don't like. I know it's a promotional piece and he has to talk up himself and his achievements but it's misleading and makes it sound like he played a much bigger part in the music of everyone listed than was true. It's the kind of piece that makes me doubt his integrity.

And then there's the classic:
    My show is about 65 or 70 percent songs I either co-wrote, recorded or played live with the Eagles songs for the 27 years I was in the band, but I do have some new songs in my set from my latest CD.
    Looking at his most recent setlist. Out of a total 17 songs, 13 were "Eagles" songs (76%), 3 of which he co-wrote, 9 of which he recorded, and 13 of which he played live for, at most, 10 years.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 02-15-2015 at 11:05 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    It's a good interview from Don's perspective. He clarifies how the ending to HC got written. About a year ago if you remember, he said one thing and what he said in the documentary was another thing, and this describes it way better.

Mr. Voket, on the other hand, could use a good proof-reader.

http://newtownbee.com/news/0001/11/3...ur-ahea/253583
    Thanks for the link VAisForEagleLovers.

A new anecdote from Don although I'm not sure if he actually got to play guitar for Michael Jackson in London, plus there's a little extra to his Tom Petty story.

He didn't just give Tom Petty guitar lessons, it looks like Don's responsible for him becoming a front man.

As for the 65-70% Eagles songs. Don's a great guitar player but a lousy mathematician, with a propensity for exaggeration.

While he was still an Eagle, one of Don's anecdotes about the Hotel California guitar solo/duet was, and I'm paraphrasing here, a passing Henley saying "It's great! but I think you can do better, keep working on it." Henley returned some time later, saying. "Yeah, that's more like it" when it was exactly the same as before he left.

Will Don ever let us hear his original demo of Hotel California?
    Last edited by Funk 50; 02-15-2015 at 03:45 PM.

Stuck on the Border

I can expand on how he says he 'enjoys' (present tense) collaborations with people like the Gibbs. He played on He's A Liar from Living Eyes back in 1981. He does a nice solo. That is the only time he ever worked with them. I am a huge Bee Gees fan.

The singer and guitar slinger, who is equally comfortable as a songwriter and producer, has also been a go-to resource for such diverse talents as Bob Seger, Alice Cooper, Kenny Loggins, David Crosby, Graham Nash, Boz Scaggs, Warren Zevon, Joni Mitchell, Vince Gill, Stevie Wonder, Tommy Shaw of Styx, and Sir Elton John.

If someone can tell me when Felder has ever worked with Stevie Wonder or Sir Elton John I would be very grateful. I am also dubious about the Seger & Cooper claims.

Notice also the claim that he 'left' the band.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I can expand on how he says he 'enjoys' (present tense) collaborations with people like the Gibbs. He played on He's A Liar from Living Eyes back in 1981. He does a nice solo. That is the only time he ever worked with them. I am a huge Bee Gees fan.

The singer and guitar slinger, who is equally comfortable as a songwriter and producer, has also been a go-to resource for such diverse talents as Bob Seger, Alice Cooper, Kenny Loggins, David Crosby, Graham Nash, Boz Scaggs, Warren Zevon, Joni Mitchell, Vince Gill, Stevie Wonder, Tommy Shaw of Styx, and Sir Elton John.

If someone can tell me when Felder has ever worked with Stevie Wonder or Sir Elton John I would be very grateful. I am also dubious about the Seger & Cooper claims.

Notice also the claim that he 'left' the band.
    He did play on one of Seger's albums. I'll find the info.

ETA: Even Now and Boomtown Blues on The Distance album. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dis...ob_Seger_album)
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Actually he's on Ain't Got No Money from Stranger In Town as well, but playing on a couple of albums doesn't make him a 'go to' man. Glenn is also on The Distance as he is on both Stranger In Town & Against The Wind. So this claim could be made for Glenn too. And we are talking three decades ago.

Stuck on the Border

According to Allmusic.com...

Felder played guitar of Bob Seger's "The Distance" in 1982 (Danny Kortchmar also has a guitar credit) and "Stranger in Town" in 1978. I don't get a match for Elton John but the Eagles did an encore with Elton around 1975. It looks like he played on one song each for Barbra Streisland and Diana Ross. From his book, he played one session with Joni Mitchell but wasn't sure he made it onto the final track. Of course, the list may be incomplete or he may be uncredited.

ETA: That doesn't seem to be that credible a source as it gives him a credit on the first two Eagles albums.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 02-15-2015 at 07:01 PM.

Stuck on the Border

That list of artists may come from Felder's own website, so he probably has worked with all of them. This is the text:
    In fact, it was Leadon who encouraged him to come out to Los Angeles, where Felder found himself working both with The Eagles and in both sessions and live performances for numerous music legends spanning the musical spectrum: The Bee Gees, Bob Seger, Michael Jackson, Alice Cooper, Kenny Loggins, David Crosby, Graham Nash, Boz Scaggs, Warren Zevon, Joni Mitchell, Stevie Nicks, Vince Gill, Stevie Wonder, Elton John, Paul Simon, Diana Ross, Barbara Streisand – and even and old friend, Steven Stills.

Stuck on the Border

Decades ago. If he did work with Elton it was probably during the mid 80s when Elton's work was on the decline. That isn't a reflection on Felder; he is probably on an album I didn't buy because Elton had gone so far downhill.

He has not worked with any of these artists in recent times. So he's entitled to say he worked with them, but perhaps he should give an indication of when it happened.

Stuck on the Border

I'm an Alice Cooper fan. I have all his albums. But I'm not a trivia freak. And I don't know anything about his tours. So this was the first time I heard that Don has been a "go-to resource" for Alice Cooper. Does anyone know anything about this? When I googled them together, the only result I got was one gig where he, Alice and Johnny Depp appeared together.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I'm an Alice Cooper fan. I have all his albums. But I'm not a trivia freak. And I don't know anything about his tours. So this was the first time I heard that Don has been a "go-to resource" for Alice Cooper. Does anyone know anything about this? When I googled them together, the only result I got was one gig where he, Alice and Johnny Depp appeared together.
    I assumed as with Elton John this was session work & as I said, I have never heard of such a collaboration.